U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-29-2007, 06:58 PM

37,751 posts, read 39,150,178 times
Goodness! I didn't know there was a Mad Mex in Oakland! I absolutely love their garlic mashed potatoe and bean burritos!

There's also a place callled Fuel and Fuddle that has 5 stars. It has great reviews and is just as affordable as all the other places I've mentioned. (Every single place I've mentioned has only a one dollar sign rating.) Student's apparently love this place. And the food is better than what you'd expect for a place like that.

There's an Origional Hot Dog Shop and an Italian Delux in the same area too. That's college fair for you.

Primantti brothers was mentioned earlier. That's a sandwich shop with a Pittsburgh twist.

Here's a link with the locations of everything I mentioned in this post: tessaro's loc: Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps

Again, everything I already offered throughout the thread was casual dining at student prices.

You can get something other than a sandwich or a burger at an affordable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-29-2007, 07:37 PM

1,560 posts, read 4,735,745 times
Excellent Hopes, I appreciate all the recommendations!

Unread 06-29-2007, 09:17 PM

362 posts, read 894,894 times
Id go to peppi's and get a roethils-"burger" but thats just me,haha

Unread 06-29-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan09 View Post
Id go to peppi's and get a roethils-"burger" but thats just me,haha
I love Peppi's. I wouldn't get a burger though (I'm not a burger person). Unfortunately, it's in North Side and they'll be staying on the other side of town in Oakland. It would be a good place to eat when they check out the stadiums if they plan to tour the city.

Unread 06-30-2007, 10:43 AM

131 posts, read 453,537 times
Uncle Sam's in S. Oakland. Best french fries I've ever had.

Cheap, and great sandwiches/subs. Cash only the last I knew.

Unread 06-30-2007, 02:23 PM

34,931 posts, read 50,703,864 times
One of my favorite regional chains out there is Max & Erma's. (I guess "out there" is relative since they have a handful here too.) It's a slightly more up-market version of, say, Bennigan's or Chili's. There's a pretty cool one on Walnut Street in Shadyside.

Unread 06-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Goodness! I didn't know there was a Mad Mex in Oakland! I absolutely love their garlic mashed potatoe and bean burritos!
You gotta be kidding me! That's the original flagship. Love that place. With a 12-year-old in tow, it would be best to get in and out by afternoon; it fills up with college kids in the evening (though maybe not as much in the summer -- I don't know).

Unread 06-30-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
One of my favorite regional chains out there is Max & Erma's. (I guess "out there" is relative since they have a handful here too.) It's a slightly more up-market version of, say, Bennigan's or Chili's. There's a pretty cool one on Walnut Street in Shadyside.
My son loves Max & Erma's Philly cheese steaks.

Unread 07-01-2007, 08:55 AM

825 posts, read 819,795 times
I will second Lu Lus for sure. Cheap and great food.

In the oakland area, my favorite has always been Fuel and Fuddle. They have great pizzas and sandwiches and their house beer is Troegs. Of course when I was at Pitt we never ate their before 11 PM (1/2 off after 11).

If you like authentic Mexican, check out La Fiesta on Atwood. It is a block down from Mad Mex and I prefer it.

Unread 07-01-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
If you like authentic Mexican, check out La Fiesta on Atwood. It is a block down from Mad Mex and I prefer it.
I'm gonna have to back Mad Mex in this race. I like them both, but Mad Mex's food is more creative and, let's face it, the atmosphere is a lot more festive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh