U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 AM

36,588 posts, read 57,867,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
the enforcement hours for on street meters in pgh are pretty typical; most cities and towns have the same days and times. there are quite a few lots that are patrolled 24 hours a day, but no on street spaces are.

About Us

Meter Enforcement Hours

On-street parking meters are patrolled Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Parking Authority off-street lots are patrolled with specific hours posted such as 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
IMO it's kinda crappy they don't put enforcement hours on the meter itself so that people who haven't memorized the municipal parking ordinances don't have to guess. Maybe they put it on the other side of the meter? Absent that, I agree with OP the signage gave the wrong impression about when the meters are enforced.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 AM

261 posts, read 854,493 times
What I don't understand about that sign/meter combination is: from what people say the implication is that on Saturdays (but not Monday to Friday) you can park for more than 4 hours. However the meter only accepts 4 hours worth of quarters. So are we saying that on Saturday only, it's acceptable to feed the meter again? Because I thought that was always not allowed (although I know people do it).

I think that's a very misleading combination.

P.S. And how does this whole thing mesh with this statement from the parking authority?

[SIZE=-1]I received a ticket but I was feeding the meter all day. Why did I get it?[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]A. Although many believe you may feed a meter all day, the City of Pittsburgh Ordinance #543.04 states that "No operator of a vehicle shall park, and no owner of a vehicle shall allow the vehicle to be parked overtime beyond the period of legal time established for any parking meter space by notice on the adjacent parking meter or by official signs posted along the roadway." More simply stated, you may only park at a meter for the amount of time the meter allows. Feeding a meter longer than that allotted time warrants a ticket for the violation of "Overtime Parking." [/SIZE]

Last edited by jenniferprestia; 09-13-2010 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 AM

9,887 posts, read 10,169,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
IMO it's kinda crappy they don't put enforcement hours on the meter itself so that people who haven't memorized the municipal parking ordinances don't have to guess. Maybe they put it on the other side of the meter? Absent that, I agree with OP the signage gave the wrong impression about when the meters are enforced.
This has bugged me for years. They absolutely do not post the enforcement hours on meters in this city. Which is BS. What are you supposed to do, guess the hours?

As for the original sign, I always thought those were supposed to be unambiguous and linked to the times for the meters. If you're supposed to feed the meter on Saturday, it should say Mon-Sat on it! Obviously the meter doesn't magically give more than a 4-hour limit on Saturdays (assuming a regular standalone meter; those more sophisticated pay stations could probably do that, but they would also post the hours).

Given the state of this one, I would fight it with that photo evidence, depending upon my time. It's probably not worth it based on the cost of the ticket. (What is it, $25?) It's not like a moving violation where you have anything to gain. All you have is the principle of the thing. Given the ordinance quote above, apparently they can in fact enforce a limit at some times and no limit at other times. But the principle is that the hours of meter enforcement should be posted making this totally clear. If enough people complain about the hours not being posted, perhaps that will change.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
P.S. And how does this whole thing mesh with this statement from the parking authority?
I received a ticket but I was feeding the meter all day. Why did I get it? A. Although many believe you may feed a meter all day, the City of Pittsburgh Ordinance #543.04 states that "No operator of a vehicle shall park, and no owner of a vehicle shall allow the vehicle to be parked overtime beyond the period of legal time established for any parking meter space by notice on the adjacent parking meter or by official signs posted along the roadway." More simply stated, you may only park at a meter for the amount of time the meter allows. Feeding a meter longer than that allotted time warrants a ticket for the violation of "Overtime Parking."
The statute is vague and potentially contradictory. It says that the maximum time is established by limit posted on the meter or established by nearby signage. So if the meter says "4 hours" without any qualification, that would imply the 4 hour limit applies Monday through Saturday; meanwhile, the sign says the 4-hour limit only applies Monday through Friday. Well, which is it?

There you go, OP -- there's your defense. Oh, and mention that when a statute is vague or otherwise subject to more than one reasonable interpretation, the principle of lenity favors applying the interpretation most favorable to the defendant.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 AM

1,681 posts, read 2,346,901 times
The only way this is ever going to be fixed is if enough people complain about it. Go to court.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM

7,360 posts, read 7,540,094 times
i am pretty sure that the sign does mean that the 4 hour limit does not apply on saturdays or sundays. it's confusing, but i'm fairly certain that's it.

i have never heard that it's illegal to feed a meter after it runs out, unless there is also a posted parking time limit in the area.

i agree that enforcement times should be posted, but it's not that hard to memorize 8-6, monday through saturday, especially when that's been the enforcement hours in every city i've ever been to.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Well it hasn't been the enforcement hours in most cities I've been to. Some cities even have different enforcement hours for different parts of the city. And certainly there will be people who drive in from out of town who have no reason to know by heart when the meters are enforced. It would be nice to let those people know instead of making them guess and, in the OP's case, guess wrong even though it was a perfectly reasonable guess.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,995,124 times
Welcome to the city. They're all the same, except some of the smaller ones don't make you pay on Saturdays. This isn't one of them. Lesson learned.

Edit: Oh, and it's definitely illegal to feed meters in San Francisco. They're ruthless about it, too.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM

357 posts, read 540,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i agree that enforcement times should be posted, but it's not that hard to memorize 8-6, monday through saturday, especially when that's been the enforcement hours in every city i've ever been to.
It may change if city leases out the parking meters like they plan to (I believe they changed it in Chicago). At one point they were talking about Sunday enforcement here as part of the parking deal, but they backed off of it.

The enforcement hours should be posted on the meters.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 AM

38 posts, read 47,193 times
It's no surprise to me that you received a ticket. Ask yourself:
What day is it? Saturday
What are the restrictions? Mon-Fri 4 hour limit (total)
Do I need to place money in the meter to park? Yes
Do I let the meter run out? No, hence the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh