Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:42 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

DC is probably the worst offender in that category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 01:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
DC is probably the worst offender in that category.
I'd nominate New York, personally.

But that is just the East Coast. I think it is even worse on the West Coast.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Actually not really - outside of the Elitist Snobs that look down on anything not NYC.....Alot of people that I tell I'm from Pittsburgh have one of three Reactions

1 - Immediately turns to Steelers/Pens Talk (UGH!), I love my Steelers but hate that it defines peoples knowledge of the Burgh sometimes.

2 - Peaks their curiosity because they've never been and find it interesting for various reasons.

3 - Talk/Questions about the Amazing low COL compared to NYC, and recently heard about the stable job market in the Burgh.

Now once I explain what the present day Pittsburgh is usually directs the conversation.....

Old 09-16-2010, 02:11 PM

We must know different New Yorkers. The ones I know are superficially friendly towards Pittsburgh in a sort of patronizing way, but the idea of actually moving here (and often even visiting here) strikes them as somewhat ludicrous.

I mean there must be some reason the New York Times basically keeps printing the same travel article about Pittsburgh--it doesn't seem to take.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 PM

Well Brian, being in NYC while in one of the worst economic spans of our generation....I guess humbles alot of folks....

Let me tell you - with Folks having an awfully hard time because of the economy, but NY still ultra expensive....Yea people are not real high on NYC right now....

Most NY'ers know that anywhere they move is going to be a slowdown...and to behonest it getting hard to tell Natives from Transplants....seriously I'm starting to think Transplants are outnumbering Natives especially in Manhattan (the NY accent is almost gone!)....and Transplants are the first to throw in the towl with living in NYC.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:28 PM

I can buy that. Most of my NYC-related experience predates the recession, and I've been predicting for a while that at some point, the COL-difference--which didn't use to be THIS big--would punch through.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We must know different New Yorkers. The ones I know are superficially friendly towards Pittsburgh in a sort of patronizing way, but the idea of actually moving here (and often even visiting here) strikes them as somewhat ludicrous.

I mean there must be some reason the New York Times basically keeps printing the same travel article about Pittsburgh--it doesn't seem to take.
people from the east think it's too far (see the OT of this thread). in some senses, it is. it is that way in most east coast cities but those two are definitely in a class of their own arrogance. Philadelphians are pennsylvanians at heart and often don't think outside the poconos,shore for travel and trips to NY. When I mention a train ride to my friends there I often get "sounds like a good reason to visit." living 5 hours from philly let alone NY and the shore seems foreign to them. (obv the poconos ain't better than mountains in western PA). the beauty of HSR is it bridges that gap and even though people will still probably only occasionally go to those places, you feel like you can.

eastern pennsylvanians are a good market for new residents. they give directions by where things used to be, they're used to poor signage, bad roads, and while they'd have to give up a good baseball team, they'd gain a football team that actually wins.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:44 PM

but Pman even Western PA natives - especially within Allegheny County think the same way...We migrate east for our Weekends/semi-vacations/Day Trips....Poconos, VA Beach, OC MD, NYC....Pittsburgh'ers dont go to Lakes or Western PA mountains....maybe a visit to Fallingwater....Now Erie and Buffalo people I can see.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
but Pman even Western PA natives - especially within Allegheny County think the same way...We migrate east for our Weekends/semi-vacations/Day Trips....Poconos, VA Beach, OC MD, NYC....Pittsburgh'ers dont go to Lakes or Western PA mountains....maybe a visit to Fallingwater....Now Erie and Buffalo people I can see.
people from buffalo are some of the most negative people I've ever met (how's that for stereotyping).

I think you mentioned once before, there's very little culture shock moving from philly to pitt.

BrianTH-to your point about constituencies, that's valid but consider that the Philies stadium was supposed to go in a similar site to PNC park, across the river from center city, south of the post office. that idea was squashed by one instutition, Penn. Certainly the institutions in Oakland hold some sway with both candidates. I also think Pitt will benefit from tax reform. the city's business taxes, so far as I can tell, aren't that bad. Often companies don't consider PA because of the state level taxes, fix that, and Pittsburgh competes favorably in the state (Philly has awful business taxes which is why most private sector jobs are in its suburbs). I'm sure Philly would also benefit from lower state taxes as some companies will pay those taxes for location but not when you add CNI to Philly's taxes, just less of a benefit than Pitt. For once, I don't hate either candidate and I don't think both will be awful. I find them both mediocre, which is an improvement over most elections sadly. Corbett would seems more likely to lower business taxes and strengthen the state's school choice (both good things for cities) but he also seems less likely to invest in infrastructure (bad for urbanized areas). that's my uninformed take on the issue. Either will direct more pork to pitt but clearly onorato will be more likely to push the spine line. I actually think the connection to the airport should be commuter rail (from greensburg to the airport via downtown and some trains from central PA where air service isn't so good)

as for the depression, DC seems to have benefited from it. funny that

Last edited by pman; 09-16-2010 at 04:42 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 PM

296 posts, read 560,938 times
Too much talk about regional differences. What would the actual cost be of building parallel, dedicated high speed rail tracks between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia/DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh