Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,187,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Indeed... the area is actually on my short list to buy, once I'm ready. Do you live there? The property taxes seem pretty reasonable too.
Woodland Hills School taxes will get you, but not a bad area.
There are a few crack houses on Harrison, that the borough won't get rid of.
Area by the school is nice. I love living there (when I do).

I own a house there but am currently living overseas for another year.
I'll be living in my Highland Park house when I return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I worked in Swissvale for 2 years and it's really not a place I liked hanging out at. Maybe there's nice parts somewhere? I worked by the houses that were uninhabited and falling down which were right down the street from brand new Section 8 homes. Where I was at looked really shady.
Where would you be hanging out in Swissvale? The Triangle? Behind the appliance store and post office area? At the mall? There's really nothing to be hanging out at...
Well there is the Irish Pub on Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,684,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Where would you be hanging out in Swissvale? The Triangle? Behind the appliance store and post office area? At the mall? There's really nothing to be hanging out at...
Well there is the Irish Pub on Nevada.
Actually yeah, I used to get lunch at the Triangle. Their sandwiches are epic. If you go past the Triangle and down that street, that whole area is where I'm referring to with the run down homes and Section 8.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 AM

12,528 posts, read 17,439,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Actually yeah, I used to get lunch at the Triangle. Their sandwiches are epic. If you go past the Triangle and down that street, that whole area is where I'm referring to with the run down homes and Section 8.
Ah, the Triangle. Watched a guy eat a whole Battleship on a bet, he won. Great little bar, bad part of town.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,187,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Ah, the Triangle. Watched a guy eat a whole Battleship on a bet, he won. Great little bar, bad part of town.
I can't even imagine that.
Whenever I have parties, I always get a few battleships to keep the crowds happy.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I can't even imagine that.
Whenever I have parties, I always get a few battleships to keep the crowds happy.

Trust me, he was 6'4". plus 250, took him about a half hour, but he did it. A classic in my old office.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,568,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Teen Shot, Killed In Troy Hill - Local News - Pittsburgh, PA - ThePittsburghChannel.com - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39366323/ns/local_news-pittsburgh_pa/ - broken link)

Christ. Here we go....
I am boiling mad to see this! Will this ever stop? I wish someone could take these filthy disgusting shooters and do something drastic to stop them in their tracks from spreading this cancer and scourge!. Section 8 and the pieces of garbage that are on it ( not the decent folks who have fallen on hardtimes and need help on a temporary basis ) should be thrown out of that neighborhood . I am so sick and tired of coming on these forums and reading about how another working to middle class neighborhood being in danger of declining and white and/or middle class flight becoming a threat because of all the evil done by these dirty scumbag thugs that have no regard for anyone . It seems that the safe affordable neighborhoods with decent access to mass transit are becoming fewer and fewer. Will this evil ever come to an end? I have been in Troy Hill in the beginning of last year and it seem it was still a decent area then. Hubby and I stopped in a couple of bars in TH and chatted up with the locals. They told us that they have no tolerance for this trash who ruin neighborhoods. It would be very heartbreaking if the neighborhood should go on a downward spiral. I hope it can be saved from that happening. It is not fair how the working to middle class are being relegated to the more far out car centric suburbs and exurbs because of these lowlife criminals and are being forced to drive everywhere. They really can't afford to do this especially with high mortgages in these areas and gas prices flirting with three dollars a gallon.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,168,059 times
I agree, it sucks. My mom told me there was a home invasion just a block away from her house in Troy Hill last month.

Get rid of the Section 8 trash and 'hood rats and stuff like this wouldn't happen. I've got my eye out whenever I go to visit her. Her house already got broken into once, but now my step-father got a shotgun and will spray anybody who walks in. I hope one of the scumbags who are now showing up in the neighborhood makes an attempt. Said scumbag won't make it very far.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:14 PM

What's going on in Troy Hill and every other former working man's neighborhood simple, Lack of good paying jobs for the lower middle class that used to work with their hands. Guys that could make a living wage at a mill are now working 2 shifts at the 7-11. This govt, both Dems and Repubs are nothing but whores, ok, maybe pimps. As long as they feather their nest, who cares where a steel mill is built.

Don't get me started, I was lucky enough to get out of college without owing a cent, cuz I worked hard labor jobs. Sadly, those days are gone.

If anyone thinks all these areas will come back, dream on. This area needs jobs, pure and simple.

Sorry for ranting, but I've been around too long.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,168,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
What's going on in Troy Hill and every other former working man's neighborhood simple, Lack of good paying jobs for the lower middle class that used to work with their hands.
Yeah, it sucks. The only opportunities that exist to replace those lost manufacturing jobs are a few "eds and meds" jobs centered in downtown and the East End. Little working-class neighborhoods not in that nucleus can be easily forgotten and overrun by human garbage in a few years. It is disgusting. These people should be put to ****ing sleep so they don't breed anymore.

Seriously, I can't wait to get out of this city and this state. I'm going out West where there is more opportunity, more sun and less decay. I just worry about my mom because she is beholden to her house.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post

Seriously, I can't wait to get out of this city and this state. I'm going out West where there is more opportunity, more sun and less decay. I just worry about my mom because she is beholden to her house.
With all due respect, what better job are you going to find out there? I have a good buddy in Phoenix that had his salary cut in half. This country is in trouble, I don't care where you move.

Damn, wish I had been a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh