U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM

11,093 posts, read 7,194,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I just hope that something will be done with the property last thing we need is the Saks building sitting dormant like Lord&Taylor's building has been sitting for last 6 years.
All that anyone can hope for is a non retail business takes its place. Retail in the city is over. Even the old Kaufmann's that has downgraded itself to Macy's is getting smaller and smaller. I think it will go at some point. The city is slowly turning into daylight activities and it closes like the Strip District. I was walking there last night in the ghost town and it is nothing like it was when I was younger. The city used to have things going on. Sure, Liberty Ave. was seedy at best, but it was active. Is a ghost town an improvement? Probably, but it sure is boring.j

Hornes was another great store downtown. During Christmas the city was really alive. Now? I don't think there is much going on for Christmas in the city. Best to go to Shadyside or Ross Park Mall. Still the feel is NOTHING compared to downtown back in the day. It was like a tiny NYC 5th ave. Yes, I said tiny, so don't compare them too much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,930,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I just hope that something will be done with the property last thing we need is the Saks building sitting dormant like Lord&Taylor's building has been sitting for last 6 years.
Unlike the former Mellon Bank building, in this case they could just raze the Saks building without objection and start over. So I think that now becomes a premier possibility for the next office tower project in Pittsburgh.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM

756 posts, read 479,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Hornes was another great store downtown. During Christmas the city was really alive. Now? I don't think there is much going on for Christmas in the city. Best to go to Shadyside or Ross Park Mall. Still the feel is NOTHING compared to downtown back in the day. It was like a tiny NYC 5th ave. Yes, I said tiny, so don't compare them too much.
Malls don't even come close in comparison to back in the day when urban downtown areas were the place to go. I always think of Petula Clark's song "Downtown" and how accurate it was. Now the department stores, movie theaters and non-chain restaurants are pretty much gone.

To me, malls are bland and boring with the same stores and their (fast) food courts. Blah.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Malls don't even come close in comparison to back in the day when urban downtown areas were the place to go. I always think of Petula Clark's song "Downtown" and how accurate it was. Now the department stores, movie theaters and non-chain restaurants are pretty much gone.

To me, malls are bland and boring with the same stores and their (fast) food courts. Blah.
Couldn't agree more, but Pittsburgh's downtown is no more. Just not enough people live down there to shop and make a go of it. I don't feel the model is done as someone oddly suggested, it is our region's downtown has lost so much that it isn't a destination. Kaufmann's was a huge turning point. That was a very special place. Lots of other cities have great downtown shopping districts and probably always will, but Pittsburgh closes after 6:00PM. To the mall we go. At least our region has one good mall. Ross Park is nice. Of course it is a joke compared to the days of Kaufmann's, Hornes and Saks, but what can you do? Time to move on.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 PM

1,128 posts, read 953,940 times
I agree that downtown has lost a lot of what used to make it special, even Macys is downsizing. There needs to be some new businesses moving in for downtown to even hope to compete with the suburbs yet alone be a destination for the metro area and justify the parking rates (parking in places such as Baltimore and Philly is actually cheaper. Downtown Pittsburgh you are lucky to find any garage under $15 if you want to spend any real time there.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:47 PM

570 posts, read 897,706 times
Look to downtown for what it has become. The central office market, the center of entertainment, a growing presence of mostly mediocre eating establishments, the second largest post secondary education center behind Oakland and a resdential concentration.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:55 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,465,406 times
Saks just seemed to be like a luxury Bon-Ton, merchandise and apparel for old people but at ridiculous prices.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 PM

3,450 posts, read 1,990,118 times
I'll miss Saks for the sole reason that they're the only retailer in the area I've found that carries very nice suits & who also will put them heavily on sale at times (particularly after christmas).

Old 10-06-2011, 06:07 PM

1,128 posts, read 953,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Look to downtown for what it has become. The central office market, the center of entertainment, a growing presence of mostly mediocre eating establishments, the second largest post secondary education center behind Oakland and a resdential concentration.
it isn't bad, it just still leaves a lot to be desired. I say that retail places such as Walgreens and Target being there would help a lot. Also I think that there should be another restaurant put in the to of US Steel tower. Nothing quite like having a romantic dinner with a priceless view of the city

Old 10-06-2011, 06:35 PM

Downtown is a large RIDC Park. Live during the day, dead at night, unless there is a special event. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh