U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 PM

4,721 posts, read 4,822,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
center city also does not have a sak's. maybe someone who is a little more familiar with fashion can comment on how relevant sak's is.
Center City really only has 1 department store as well Macy's which is what all Pittsburgh will be left with.

You cannot compare the Average downtown to that of Mega-Tourist cities like NYC and Chicago the last places the "Department" Store will fall...I strongly believe if it wasn't for all the tourist in NYC and Chicago the "Downtown Department Stores" would be cratering in these cities as well, the high level of Tourist and Visitors keeps these establishments alive.

I wonder if Sacks will relocate to RPM with the other high end retailers or exit Pittsburgh altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM

9,734 posts, read 8,757,559 times
Eh, Pittsburgh is in the same boat as Denver. All that's left in Colorado are a couple of "Off 5th" outlets.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,039,203 times
Honestly I don't mind so much that Saks is moving out, as long as something relevant (such as another store or restaurant) takes the place rather than leaving the building to rot. I don't want to see Pittsburgh become this: Google Images

Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,867,263 times
Let's take a step back and recognize that in general, the high-end department store is a dying business model. It is being replaced by a combination of Internet shopping, budget department stores now offering decent products, and smaller specialty stores which can stay more current and offer much better customer service. It may not disappear entirely, but its share of the relevant retail markets, particularly among younger people, is steadily declining. That's the fundamental reason Tom Murphy's department store vision for Downtown has been a failure--the sales at these stores have always fallen way short of expectations, and that is because sales of high-end department stores have generally fallen way short of expectations.

Meanwhile, Downtown is on a very positive trajectory, and people aren't planning all these apartment projects because of Saks and Macys. By far the #1 reason is proximity to jobs/schools, and after that it is the more unique amenities that draw people (regional destinations like the theaters and stadiums, an ever-expanding list of higher-quality restaurants, and so forth). That does need to be supported by the sorts of retail people need on a regular basis, but if you were making a list of things like that Downtown is missing, it would be things like a grocery store and something like a Target, not Saks.

Finally, I will note that I'm not a resident of the City so I always feel it is not really my business to critique the current mayor. But my wife and I do work there, our son goes to school there, and in general we spend a lot of time in the City, so like most people in the region we have a stake in how the City is doing. And from my perspective, overall the City has been making much more progress in recent years than in the years immediately prior. Part of that is just good timing, but still, the current City government has supported a lot of good things, and I think the overall emerging vision for the City is at least broadly speaking the right one.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:15 AM

4,721 posts, read 4,822,138 times
I just hope that something will be done with the property last thing we need is the Saks building sitting dormant like Lord&Taylor's building has been sitting for last 6 years.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 AM

859 posts, read 1,394,143 times
I like how the end of this article there's a quote from Howard Hanna that says "...they don't have a Saks in Cleveland." Downtown Saks Fifth Avenue to close its doors - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Yes, they do. It's in a suburban upscale mall (Beachwood Place) like Ross Park. Hearing the quotes from Simon Malls made me kinda wonder if they're trying to lure Saks to South Hills or Ross Park. However, I don't think Saks is interested in staying in the Pittsburgh region, honestly, and this is their chance to get out.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:55 AM

8,884 posts, read 7,799,684 times
Macys is also at risk partially because its a dump. It seems neither macys nor l and t hit the spot. They should merge them. Hopefully the saks property gets redeveloped. I do think the older buildings work well for shopping though brian is right, murphys vision was fundamentally misguided a struggling industry was never going to change much. The current administration seems less focused on grand schemes which is a good thing.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:29 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,221,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I don't want to see Pittsburgh become this: Google Images
In many ways it already is.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,628,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Interesting photos. Abandoned buildings do have their own kind of gritty beauty. In another thousand years some of these sites could be tourist attractions, like the ruins in Rome.

BTW one of those stores has a sign that says Dog's New Ideas (or maybe Doc's New Ideas). Any idea what that store sold?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 AM

3,933 posts, read 4,060,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I just hope that something will be done with the property last thing we need is the Saks building sitting dormant like Lord&Taylor's building has been sitting for last 6 years.
I'd rather see something done with the Lord and Taylor building than the Saks building, which is just an ugly black box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh