Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Quite a few years ago, Saks wanted to expand the store to create a Fifth Avenue entrance. If anyone is familiar with downtown, you would have noticed that the old Revco store that sits between Oliver and Fifth was demolished a week or so ago. the Revco site is adjacent to the rear of the Saks store. This hole in the Fifth Avenue corridor could add a Fifth Avenue entrance to the Saks store.
A couple years ago I remember reading that Piatt wanted to expand their Piatt Place with that building since they had such good demand for the space in the old Lazuras building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Were did you read they're leaving downtown...I read the piece in the PBT said that there's still 2yrs left in the lease, and that Saks wants to remain downtown...it just wants a better deal for its current prop....

I have no doubt that in this Economy the Prop Owners will come up with a better deal or the City will find another space for Saks....its no secret that Saks wants to be ON FIFTH not behind it. I think Saks is probably eye'ing the Lord/Taylor building that has sat vacant for eon's now...Lord knows its a better location so Saks probably has some leverage to throw at the landlord in its current location to come up with something better or we're moving.

Saks Fifth Avenue balks at Downtown Pittsburgh lease option - Pittsburgh Business Times

I definitely don't see Saks leaving downtown without the city stepping in.....

I think Sak's should just replace it's current store with it's more successful outlet company Off Fifth which offers great clothing lines at even greater discounts.
Off Fifth would probably do well downtown since no one is into paying full retail for anything anymore-even the more wealthy people bargain hunt nowadays! Everyone has to be smarter with their $.

They could even leave the current entrance behind fifth just the way it is to fit with the new store name.

The media is trying to attribute Sak's leaving d/t the new parking garage leasing and raise in parking rates downtown.

Whatever the reason- I hope we don't lose another downtown store. Whenever I happen to be working downtown, which is on a regular basis, I always like to shop after work.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:03 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Sorry if I'm going down memory lane, but the building Saks is in now used to be a W.T. Grant five and ten cent store until Saks re-did it in 1976. Prior to that, Saks was housed on the sixth floor of Gimbels and there was a special elevator that went to it. (Saks and Gimbels were owned by the same company at the time). Saks has been in Pittsburgh since 1948, I believe.
I thought it had been here earlier than 1976. Wasn't it located on either Fourth or Sixth Avenue? I remember always thinking it odd that it was located one block away from Fifth Avenue.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
All Saks would have to do to increase its sales downtown would be to sell wigs and candy.
Don't forget, urbanwear and gold teeth too!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 AM

570 posts, read 1,411,760 times
Ha ha some great feedback ! Thanks for the input. So would the wigs and candy be sold next to the 260 dollar per bottle Bond products ? I think it's 50-50 on whether they stay downtown or high tail it out to Ross Park. Lesser chance they pull out of the burgh all together. But again, as noted they have pulled out of similar sized cities in the recent past.

It almost seems to me that department stores are almost like 'liver on a menu'. Sort of generational. Will such stores survive the net and the changing ways of today's shoppers? I was always excited to go shopping downtown in a large scale department store with my mother as a child. But then again I also liked playing in the woods and getting muddy in the stream. Don't think many today are into such. But who knows...

Old 09-25-2010, 04:33 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times
Theoretically, if they put a Saks at Ross Park, where would they put it? They would likely have to kick out one of the anchors like Sears or JCPenney and put it there, or they'll have to build a completely new wing with more high-end retailers.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:46 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Follow up article:

Is Saks vital to Downtown's vitality?

I think we actually did a decent job fleshing out the issue in our discussion here.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:53 PM

85 posts, read 105,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Theoretically, if they put a Saks at Ross Park, where would they put it? They would likely have to kick out one of the anchors like Sears or JCPenney and put it there, or they'll have to build a completely new wing with more high-end retailers.
I dunno, I guess they could do a "mini store," but that could prove to be foolish, depending on their revenue from the downtown, full-sized store. Maybe they will get rid of Sears. It definitely doesn't seem to fit in with the retail direction of the mall.

This year's offerings at Saks are not great. I would love a full-sized Bloomingdale's in Pittsburgh! I did a Map search and I got a result called "Maximilian At Bloomingdales" at 400 5th Ave. Called the number and got a fax line. What's up with that?

Old 10-03-2010, 03:03 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Burberry View Post
I dunno, I guess they could do a "mini store," but that could prove to be foolish, depending on their revenue from the downtown, full-sized store. Maybe they will get rid of Sears. It definitely doesn't seem to fit in with the retail direction of the mall.

This year's offerings at Saks are not great. I would love a full-sized Bloomingdale's in Pittsburgh! I did a Map search and I got a result called "Maximilian At Bloomingdales" at 400 5th Ave. Called the number and got a fax line. What's up with that?
I think if we would get one, it should be built in the South Hills area since there is the population there to support it just as much as the up scale retail in the North Hills.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:05 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times
Given the bleak situation with Sears as a business, it wouldn't surprise me if they gave them the boot. On the other hand, a Saks at South Hills Village would likely work too, as well as Nordstrom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh