U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 PM

68 posts, read 231,990 times

Advertisements

anyone has been to Clark Bldg at downtown for engagement rings? how many jewelers do they have? we're doing ring shopping now and heard there are a lot f jewelers in that bldging. hope they've a good price/quality ratio. thanks.
ps. are they open next Monday?
thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 02:08 AM

812 posts, read 1,740,645 times
We are big fans of Goldstock and Eileen! Hubby got my engagement ring there 2001 and we have been repeat customers since then....I will wait to buy jewelry til we visit the Burgh to get new pieces and we have been gone 5 yrs now. She won't try to up sell or pressure you. I get tons of compliments on my ring and the way it is cut--looks bigger than it actually is!

2nd floor.

She spent a good 2 hrs with my future hubby just picking out STONES they had in inventory in his budget. Hubby had 2 independent appraisals after he got the ring and they quoted anywhere from 1.5-2.5x what he paid. Eileens husband works in the storefront just to the left of the Clark Bldg main doors--they are part of the same company but I think they have a diff name. I have gotten great service and information. Def try to go on a weekday and not a weekend!

Good luck and have fun!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 AM

674 posts, read 1,271,565 times
my (now) husband and I were not a fan of Goldstock. We were ignored when we went in to look for rings on two separate occasions. I do know other people who have been happy with them, but if we're making a large investment like engagement rings (and subsequent wedding rings), we're not going some place to be ignored. We were very disappointed. (From a business perspective, why on earth would a business ignore a well dressed professional couple who are obviously looking at engagement rings? That's going to be a much bigger sale that some random guy buying a $200 necklace for his wife's birthday. Not that that guy should be ignored, either. But when a customer is standing around for 10 minutes and is not even acknowledged...)

We ultimately went to Frost & Co., also in the Clark Building. A coworker had recommended them. We were very please with the service, selection and prices. My brother (who lives in Maryland) also bought his wife's engagement ring there and they bought their wedding rings from Frost as well.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 AM

673 posts, read 1,940,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
my (now) husband and I were not a fan of Goldstock. We were ignored when we went in to look for rings on two separate occasions. I do know other people who have been happy with them, but if we're making a large investment like engagement rings (and subsequent wedding rings), we're not going some place to be ignored. We were very disappointed. (From a business perspective, why on earth would a business ignore a well dressed professional couple who are obviously looking at engagement rings? That's going to be a much bigger sale that some random guy buying a $200 necklace for his wife's birthday. Not that that guy should be ignored, either. But when a customer is standing around for 10 minutes and is not even acknowledged...)

We ultimately went to Frost & Co., also in the Clark Building. A coworker had recommended them. We were very please with the service, selection and prices. My brother (who lives in Maryland) also bought his wife's engagement ring there and they bought their wedding rings from Frost as well.
My wife and I had the exact same experience. The people in Goldstock seemed bothered to have to help us out, and made very odd suggestions, and wouldn't explain anything. We went across the hall to Frost & Co. and have been VERY pleased with them. VERY helpful and friendly.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,636,070 times
On the 2nd floor see Warren at Pittsburgh Coin & Jewelry Exchange. Good experience.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 AM

4,336 posts, read 6,465,796 times
I went to Lisa Kotchy in Sharsburg. She doesn't exactly have retail jewelry store. She is basically a jewelry designer who has a studio and can make anything that you want. Pricewise she was very very reasonable. For starters tell her your budget and what kind of setting you want then she will tell you what size you can afford then she will go out and find about five stones within your budget and she will let you pick your favorite. We got my wife's engagement ring there, her wedding band and my band. I have had a few friends that got rings there too and they all are happy.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:43 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,166,451 times
I got my wife's engagement ring and our wedding bands from Frost and Co. We got great service there. They were very helpful and friendly. My wife loved a certain style of engagement ring. I found out that the only local reseller of that style was Frost and Co. We liked it so much, we decided to get our wedding bands there too. The discount helped the decision!

We wanted an engraving on our wedding bands. When we went to pick them up, there was no engraving! They were very sorry and refunded the extra money we paid for the engraving and a few days later we received the corrected rings via a well packed Priority Mail package. Everything was good.

Unless something changed recently, they don't keep digital copies of their orders. I had to submit an invoice to our insurance company to insure the rings and they had to mail me a copy of the original paper order. It felt like I went back in time!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:50 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,957,746 times
Bought the engagement ring at Goldstock and the wedding bands at Brooks Diamonds. I would definitely recommend both for service and value!

Old 10-10-2010, 04:44 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,404,381 times
Have you looked a Pricescope.com? Cut is everything, and the Pricescope online vendors excel in providing top cuts, as well as being very open about the specs, etc.

I have bought two diamonds from Good Old Gold on Long Island, the first stone, and then I traded that one in on an upgrade last year.
first one: Diamond - GoodOldGold.com
the upgrade: Diamond - GoodOldGold.com

So-so pic of the upgrade in a ring. It's a very white F color. It's exquisitely cut. I just don't have a good pic of it.
GOG's glamour shot:

Brian Gavin Diamonds and Whiteflash are other favorites of mine.
Brian recut an old haphazard diamond that I own that was M color. It might be L color now. A great RB cut washes tint pretty well. If you look at the hand pic, you can see the arrows. This one started a 1.12ct and is now 1.06ct or so.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:02 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,404,381 times
About Good Old Gold, I'll add that they have a liberal trade-in / trade-up policy: It used to be you could trade in for full purchase price on a diamond that cost at least $500 more than the diamond you want to trade. If you pay by wire transfer on the first stone, you can buy the upgrade at wire transfer price. But if you bought the first on a credit card, then you'll have to pay the credit card price on the upgrade. Jon stocks great cuts, and he's very proactive in helping the customers, and doesn't push you into buying something that you don't like. They also buy back, at about 75% of what you paid, which is nice if you need cash sometime.

Check the current GOG policies to be sure, but that's what they were a year ago.

Whiteflash and Brian Gavin also have trade-ins. Todd at NiceIce and Wink at Highperformance Diamonds are great, too, but they sell branded diamonds and there's a bit of a price bump on those.

JamesAllen (former Dirt Cheap Diamonds) I personally would tend to avoid because first, their diamonds for the most part are lesser cut and performance than the best from those other vendors, and second, their trade-in and buyback isn't nearly as generous. Once in a while JA does get a killer stone at a great price, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh