Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 10:10 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,500 times

Advertisements

http://realestate.msn.com/Buying/Art...2739&GT1=10431

Housing markets you can afford

In these cities, buyers earning the median income can most easily purchase a median-price home. Think Indianapolis and Cleveland.

By Matt Woolsey, Forbes.com

If you're not sweating your monthly mortgage payment and don't obsessively check refinancing rates, chances are you live in one of America's most affordable areas.

Homeowners in Indianapolis know what that's like. Residents there don't have to scrimp and save to afford a home at the median price. There, the bulk of the housing stock is well within reach of the average household.

Savings depleted? According to our calculations, it would take just two years of gross salary to become a homeowner there.

Cleveland and Detroit also are reasonably priced. But affordability isn't limited to the Midwest. Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Greensboro, N.C., also made our list of the country's most affordable real-estate markets.

Read the rest:

http://realestate.msn.com/Buying/Art...2739&GT1=10431
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 11:31 PM

44 posts, read 111,071 times
Default Yep.

That statistic is one of the major reasons we're moving to Pittsburgh - the lure of affordable (and attractive, historic, urban) housing is too much to resist.

Now, I hope that the job outlook is better than I've been hearing. Here's to optimism and new opportunities!

Old 09-02-2007, 11:36 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
That statistic is one of the major reasons we're moving to Pittsburgh - the lure of affordable (and attractive, historic, urban) housing is too much to resist.

Now, I hope that the job outlook is better than I've been hearing. Here's to optimism and new opportunities!
Affordable housing is luring....but, make sure to check out the high tax structure...it was surprising to us when researching a relocation move. We would literally pay 3x the amount in taxes in Pgh as we would in the suburbs of Wash, DC. Not sure you're getting anything more for the triple tax rate.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:36 AM

44 posts, read 111,071 times
Even with the taxes, its still a deal.

Where I'm moving from, rent on a one bedroom apartment costs about the same as a mortgage payment on an entire house in Pittsburgh. The median home price where I live now is almost half a million dollars and there's little, if any, hope of purchasing a home in the vibrant downtown core. One has to settle for a $300k fixer in the ratty suburbs. *gulp!*

Facing that, I'm going to give Pittsburgh a chance.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:54 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,347 times
Quote:
We would literally pay 3x the amount in taxes in Pgh as we would in the suburbs of Wash, DC.
In what regard? I don't believe that for a second, aside from higher property tax. Virginia also taxes clothes, food, retirement, and luxuries.

I'm not sure where you did your homework, but my cousins got their financial adviser to compare and contrast VA (DC) and PA and they found that they would be much better off in PA, even with the higher property tax. I mean, their house in Alexandria is worth roughly a million dollars and they are looking into some beautiful homes in Pittsburgh for around 400k or so. Do you have any idea how many years you could offset Pittsburgh taxes with 600k profit??? Until the day you die, I assure you.

It would be crazy to base your move solely on a purely tax-basis. Did you also look into the cost of energy difference? The cost of living differences? I hope you realize once you retire, VA is going to hit you mighty hard. I know this might sound silly, but I am broke going to DC for the night life when I get back. Parking, entry-fees, drinking (alcohol), and eating out is exorbitantly more expensive in DC than Pittsburgh. Even groceries are more expensive and imagine how much you pay a month for those (this is coming from my mother who is a gourmet chef who spends quite a bit of time in DC).

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Pittsburgh is consistently ranked among the very most affordable cities of it's size in the country and the rankings I have personally seen take taxes into consideration, among everything else I've mentioned. Washington DC never makes the list, far, far from it.

Last edited by guylocke; 09-03-2007 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: