Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:54 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

Voters Say They Want To Know Who Funds Ads : NPR

Quote:
Turn on a TV just about anywhere in the country right now, and you'll see tough political attack ads. Millions of dollars are being spent on these ads by groups that are organized as nonprofits — and, therefore, do not have to disclose their donors.

In Pittsburgh, for example, many of the attack ads hitting the airwaves are from these noncandidate, nonparty, supposedly nonpolitical groups. It's perfectly legal for them to raise contributions in any amount, keep their donors' anonymity and run hard-hitting ads — like one that attacks Pennsylvania Democratic Senate candidate Joe Sestak.
I have to say that I can't wait until this election cycle is over--the ads seem particularly bad this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 08:24 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,312 times
it seems like every other commercial is vote for this, dont vote for that, bla bla bla
most of the voters cant afford groceries or health insurance but these idiots spend millions and millions on this garbage.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:54 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
The ads are terrible this year and they to be full of more garbage this year than in any other year I can remember. Some of those anti Democrat non candidate ads are just trying to scare the s**t out of the ignorant voter which they usually do but it's bad this year.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
The ads are pretty reprehensible on both sides. Very gutter politics. I see both Dem and Rep ads with distorted messages on the records of each opposing candidate, and I can't believe anyone falls for it. But they do.

The one I find really funny is the ad with the Allegheny County family wondering how they're going to pay their taxes and fretting with the tax forms over the kitchen table. Makes it look like they're income taxes went up, but they would have to be fretting about their liquor bills at the bar, cause that's the only tax that was raised.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The one I find really funny is the ad with the Allegheny County family wondering how they're going to pay their taxes and fretting with the tax forms over the kitchen table. Makes it look like they're income taxes went up, but they would have to be fretting about their liquor bills at the bar, cause that's the only tax that was raised.
Too bad people around of this area have no idea that the drink tax is the tax that is causing "great hardship for Allegheny County families". If a drink tax is causing you hardship and causing you to add up your liquor receipts like the family in his commercial, I'd say it's time to walk to an AA meeting. I am really disturbed by how dirty these ads are. Another reason to just not watch TV especially during the local news.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:54 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
One of the Corbett ads has a voice over saying that under Onoroto businesses left the region, but the headline that flashes to illustrate that says "Westinghouse Moves to Cranberry." Granted, Cranberry is in Butler County, but it's still the Pittsburgh region so it's not really a loss. That bugs me.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:26 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
One of the Corbett ads has a voice over saying that under Onoroto businesses left the region, but the headline that flashes to illustrate that says "Westinghouse Moves to Cranberry." Granted, Cranberry is in Butler County, but it's still the Pittsburgh region so it's not really a loss. That bugs me.
Yeah Corbetts ads re: Onorato are just false like your example above ^. Plus Onorato stuck by his word not to raise County property tax.
I like Corbett as Attorney General ( and I voted for him) but I don't know if he would be as good a governor as he is Attorney Gen'l.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times
I don't like Onarato because he simply didn't have either the math skills to balance the county's budget without creating new taxes, or the planning skills to increase property values. But the fact that Corbett thinks that businesses leaving the county should even matter when the primary source of revenue for a county is it's residents - whether they work in the county or outside of the county - shows an old-school misconception that disturbs me. You'd think after so many years in government he'd know how it works. According to his theory, Braddock and Clairton should be rolling in the dough. But they're not. So obviously he's kind of on the low-end of the intelligence spectrum.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:22 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,769 times
I don't love Onorato, but Corbett is awful.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That ad embarrasses me. It seems like it's out to go after all of us who live in Allegheny County. Feel bad for the idiots not from this area who don't realize that Cranberry is only a few miles outside of Allegheny County, and that Iron City is in Latrobe which is part of the metro area. So I don't consider either a loss since the employees of both could easily commute and buy a new house closer to the new locations of each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh