Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How long would it take to bike?

Seems like starting out in Pittsburgh means you'd be slightly going downhill as opposed to vice-versa
Here is a cool elevation chart:

Either way you have to get over the hump in the middle, but the maximum upward grade is lower going east.

Edit: Oh, and I have heard of people averaging everything from around 30 miles a day to 70 or more. So, call it roughly 5-10 days depending on the pace you want to set.

Last edited by BrianTH; 10-19-2010 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 AM

408 posts, read 991,763 times
this is freakin awesome.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A combination. The lead organization, the Allegheny Trail Alliance, is a coalition of several different non-profit trail organizations plus Ohiopyle State Park. They get funding from membership fees, private and public grants, and so on. Specifically for the trail, they've again gotten private and public monetary grants and donations, plus some donations of land, labor, materials and so own.
I don't think any Public $$$ should go to Rail Trails , its not like it generates any profits like Railways or Toll Roads or developments.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I don't think any Public $$$ should go to Rail Trails , its not like it generates any profits like Railways or Toll Roads or developments.
Yes, because the tourism dollars generated that flood into the communities along the route are make-believe, right?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, what a terrible thought, preserving a piece of land for future generations to use and enjoy! This is an outrage!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
So I guess it's kinda equivalent to a non-toll road. Don't suppose those should be funded either?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
What's your position on public libraries?

Or state parks, or wildlife preserves, etc.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Yes, because the tourism dollars generated that flood into the communities along the route are make-believe, right?
Haha , your joking right? Probably not alot of tourism $$$ , lets ask those towns along the Appalachian trail how much tourism $$$ they rake in......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
Yes, what a terrible thought, preserving a piece of land for future generations to use and enjoy! This is an outrage!
I'm a Rail Fanner , Rail Trails are a threat to me and most Rail Fanners dislike them. Of course , in 20 years this will probably be converted partially back to a Railway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
So I guess it's kinda equivalent to a non-toll road. Don't suppose those should be funded either?
well , actually i think every Highway should have Tolls on it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
What's your position on public libraries?

Or state parks, or wildlife preserves, etc.
I have no Problem , with Public Libraries , State Parks , or Preserve.... they bring in Tourism and enhance the education of our country.... For the record i'm against any Rail line that will be used by less then 6,000 daily.....

Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I have no Problem , with Public Libraries , State Parks , or Preserve.... they bring in Tourism and enhance the education of our country.... For the record i'm against any Rail line that will be used by less then 6,000 daily.....
Oh yes, public libraries bring in so many more tourism dollars than rail trails! Silly me. We are just rolling in dough from those 15 cent/day late fees from those forgetful foreigners who travelled here to use our libraries.

I think this is exactly what public funds should be used for, pitching in for amenities that everyone can use. Profit making should be left to the private sector... our government just isn't good at it, and if they did manage to turn a profit, it would go into the pockets of the greedy politicians. What better way than to re-use a trail that is no longer used by the railroads and allow for fitness, entertainment, and a green method of transportation?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
Oh yes, public libraries bring in so many more tourism dollars than rail trails! Silly me. We are just rolling in dough from those 15 cent/day late fees from those forgetful foreigners who travelled here to use our libraries.

I think this is exactly what public funds should be used for, pitching in for amenities that everyone can use. Profit making should be left to the private sector... our government just isn't good at it, and if they did manage to turn a profit, it would go into the pockets of the greedy politicians. What better way than to re-use a trail that is no longer used by the railroads and allow for fitness, entertainment, and a green method of transportation?
Well i didn't make myself clear enough , Libraries enhance our Populations Education that is not a waste of public $$$. Rail Trails , do nothing , they might appear to bring tourism but not really. Rail Trails do not bring development , they do not bring income to the city thus the state or city should not be investing in them. Part of the line might be converted back to an Active Railway to lessen the strain on a different line. There not permanent trails......... Bike trails are not a form of Transportation.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh