Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Here is the article:

Trail's finishing touch on horizon

It was quite the saga getting here, but this is excellent news. As touched on in that article, the whole Mon Valley section is ending up pretty cool.

Now we just need to get the Mon Wharf connected to the Smithfield Bridge and Point Park. Coming around the base of the Fort Pitt bridge and seeing the Point fountain is going to be a really dramatic finish to a trip that could be from as far as DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 07:13 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
This is wonderful news! While my parents were visiting me recently here in NoVA I took them out to Harper's Ferry, WV for the day. While there we traversed a small portion of both the Appalachian Trail and the rail trail, and I picked up a guide book for the trail which was very, very informative; however, it did keep trying to tap-dance around the fact that the trail only ran to Pittsburgh's southeastern suburbs and NOT the Steel City itself. That was disappointing to me. Now it sounds great to know I could take a train from Pittsburgh to DC and then pedal my way back! What great exercise!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:43 AM

They are also trying to set up special roll-on-roll-off cars on the train, so you could take a bike to any stop to jump on the trail, and again jump back on the train at any stop. This would be particularly useful for people who want to gradually do the whole trail in sections.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:49 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
I so want to do this but know I need to work up to it. Being able to "practice" it sections would be great! I rode the Butler Freeport trail for the first time yesterday. The whole time I was just in awe of what a great area I so lucky to live in. (and I am a transplant form everywhere LOL) It was a gorgeous ride.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:56 AM

The article said they are looking for 1 million users a year once the trail is complete. I will bet dollars to donuts that number is shattered if they put all this together (a great finish in Pittsburgh, RORO trains, and so forth).

Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The article said they are looking for 1 million users a year once the trail is complete. I will bet dollars to donuts that number is shattered if they put all this together (a great finish in Pittsburgh, RORO trains, and so forth).
I know cyclists here in Metro DC have been talking about this trail, so undoubtedly it will be nothing but a boon for the economy of communities along the route. There were tons of cyclists in Harpers Ferry, WV when we were there. Perhaps if more Metro DC people pedal up to Pittsburgh they'll see what the city has to offer and start moving in!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Perhaps if more Metro DC people pedal up to Pittsburgh they'll see what the city has to offer and start moving in!
Stranger things have happened. I definitely think once it is all put together, it will be a great advertisement for the city--you'll be going through the Rust Belt Chic of the Mon Valley, then the rejuvenated South Side (some or a lot depending on which route you take to get to the Smithfield Bridge) with Downtown opening up before you, then you will round the Fort Pitt bridge with the Point fountain and confluence basin to mark your arrival--it is really going to be dramatic, a bike equivalent to emerging from the Fort Pitt tunnel.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Was public money used for this bike trail or private?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
How long would it take to bike?

Seems like starting out in Pittsburgh means you'd be slightly going downhill as opposed to vice-versa

Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Was public money used for this bike trail or private?
A combination. The lead organization, the Allegheny Trail Alliance, is a coalition of several different non-profit trail organizations plus Ohiopyle State Park. They get funding from membership fees, private and public grants, and so on. Specifically for the trail, they've again gotten private and public monetary grants and donations, plus some donations of land, labor, materials and so own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh