Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

Pre-WWII brick Foursquares like those in Pittsburgh aren't all THAT common nationally. To begin with, in many cities most of those houses would have been wood, not brick. They were also less customized in many cities--lots of the wood ones in particular were mail-ordered/rail-shipped kits, but in Pittsburgh you had a lot of builders using the same basic plan, but then also using local skilled labor and materials. So, you can see all sorts of atypical details, basically as some work crew fresh off the boat from Italy or Germany or so on put their own spin on the basic design.

Further, a lot of newer U.S. cities now as large or larger than Pittsburgh had most of their residential population gains after that era, so the relevant neighborhoods in particular were much smaller at the time. Finally, lots of older cities bulldozed a lot of their neighborhoods from that era in the post-WWII period (Pittsburgh did some of that too, but not as much for various reasons). So because of all these factors, there actually isn't really an abundance of this specific kind of Pittsburgh housing (the well-done brick Foursquare).

To be sure, the North Side in particular has some pretty spectacular versions of architecture from its prime era, because that was the "hot" area to build during a period of relative prosperity in Pittsburgh. And in general the farther back you go, naturally the rarer the urban architecture, both because urban populations in the U.S. have been constantly growing, and because with more time, more structures are lost. Still, having looked around quite a bit at similar neighborhoods elsewhere, I wouldn't discount the relative rarity of Pittsburgh's early-20th Century brick Foursquares, taking into account their quality, variety, and sheer quantity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 04:00 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
First time house hunting in the early 80s, I looked at places on both the North Side and South Side. I was struck by the size and opulence of the North Side houses as opposed to the South Side houses. The realtor told me that South Side was working class in the 19th century (hence the 6-inch deep closets - they only had two sets of clothes - work and Sunday) and the North Side was the prosperous city of Allegheny. The South Side house on Sarah Street that I looked at was $40,000, probably $200,000 today. I opted to buy on the North Side for a much larger house that was definitely more middle-to-upper middle class in the 19th century. It was built like a tank and could not be duplicated today. Had many great years over there.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
Have you ever thought of Marrying the Mexican War Streets?
I am considering.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:06 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Those North Side neighborhoods (War Streets, Manchester, Allegheny West, Deutschtown) really have the edge when it comes to architecture. While the South Side Flats and Lawrenceville have houses from the same era (mid 19th century), the architecture on the North Side just seems more impressive and ornate. Some of the best examples of Italianate architecture can be found in the War Streets and Manchester, especially.

While I love the East End neighborhoods, they were built up about forty years later, and have much less of the Italianate style that I love. Brick four squares are nice, but you can find them in abundance in most any American city. That's definitely not the case with the housing on the North Side, the style of which is limited to only the older American cities. The housing in Regent Square or Shadyside could be from almost any city. But the housing in the War Streets is Pittsburgh vernacular.
I really enjoy all of your pictures, by the way.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:46 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
Not sure if it is still there but there used to be a "homeless" shelter for drug addicts a few doors down from AGH. I know at some point people were getting mugged/assualted in the park if you crossed from the CCAC side over towards AGH.
Yep, still there, and in fact, they just bought two more "houses". One on each side of the original. I believe it is the "light of life mission".

Old 10-22-2010, 07:52 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,001 times
and one of my favorite Mex War St pics by ainulindale's Essence of Pittsburgh on CD:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh