Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:12 PM

68 posts, read 110,069 times

Advertisements

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thanks to everyone for the very informative posts about the Burgh. I would like to buy a row house for cheap, close in, that is not in a hopeless neighborhood. If it had city views that would be great. I would like to spend less than 35K, and I don't mind if it's a train wreck--I can fix it. Definitely don't want to be in commuter hell, and would like to be near some neighborhood taverns, and it would be great to be near Trader Joe's as well.
Is the Triangle the place to be? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
Look in the Elliot/West End area. My dad bought a 1920's craftsman cottage up there for around $27k. It need some repairs, but nothing the average weekend handyman couldn't tackle.

It's a stones throw from downtown. There was a neat little place called Grill 424, but it closed.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 PM

I would like to be close to downtown. I'm looking at a place near Forbes Ave..
Your comments on that area would be appreciated. If someone would give me specific zip codes that would be great. BTW, I'm a 43 yo, single, straight male. I've got a German name, but I like Asian Ladies. I've enjoyed living in some college areas before, so that is a possibility.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2544 View Post
I would like to be close to downtown. I'm looking at a place near Forbes Ave. Your comments on that area would be appreciated.
What part of Forbes Avenue? Give us an intersection so we can know what neighborhood you're talking about.

Quote:
If someone would give me specific zip codes that would be great.
Zip codes won't really tell you much. Pittsburgh isn't like other cities where the zip codes match the neighborhood. A zip code could span both good and bad neighborhoods in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
BTW, I'm a 43 yo, single, straight male. I've got a German name, but I like Asian Ladies. I've enjoyed living in some college areas before, so that is a possibility.
You might like Oakland. It's cheap but not hopeless. You'll definitely be in the middle of the college area. It's not somewhere we'd normally recommend because people with families don't want to live on streets where 15 college students are sharing a house. But it sounds right down your alley. I think you're likely to find a cheap fixer upper in Oakland too. Unless, the real estate is too over priced because it's a good rental property investment area. I say keep looking until the right place turns up in Oakland. That's the place you want to be.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
I'd say that under 35K for a row house near Forbes Ave. and a college area pretty much leaves you with Uptown and Hill District as your only options.

If I may ask, what does your choice in women have to do with your house?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I'd say that under 35K for a row house near Forbes Ave. and a college area pretty much leaves you with Uptown and Hill District as your only options.
He could find a house for that price almost anywhere if he looks to sherrif sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
If I may ask, what does your choice in women have to do with your house?
Too funny!

Old 08-22-2007, 04:11 PM

76 posts, read 274,012 times
Why do people think they're going to find good prices in good neighborhoods? Ain't going to happen.
I'm between a great, eclectic and expensive neighborhood (wacky row houses in the Mexican War Streets) and a great, established and expensive neighborhood (bigger homes on single lots in Observatory Hill).
Our housing stock is challenged and deteriorating, but affordable.
I can walk to downtown. It's a long walk, granted. 40 minutes?
BTW, we won't care what your name, sexual orientation, age or gender is.
Pretty much nobody else does either.
Yeah, what's the deal with "Asian Ladies"?
If you buy a house here I'll buy you a 61C ticket. Have fun.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chautauquast View Post
Why do people think they're going to find good prices in good neighborhoods?
BTW, we won't care what your name, sexual orientation, age or gender is.
Pretty much nobody else does either.
Yeah, what's the deal with "Asian Ladies"?
If you buy a house here I'll buy you a 61C ticket. Have fun.
Let me rephrase my statements:

I'm a big white guy, so I don't want to live in an all black neighborhood.
I'm straight, so I don't want to live in a Gay neighborhood, or near the "Fruit Loop." I like Asian ladies, so that means I don't necessarily want to be around a bunch of fat pigs. It also means that I am a World traveler, and I have been exposed to many different cultures.

Why would I think I can get a cheap house in a good neighborhood? Because, when I go to realtor.com there are 500 houses under 50K; scattered all over Pittsburgh. Does this clarify things?

Every job I have applied for ask me to state my race on the application; so put your "race cards" away.
If you don't think the racial profile of a neighborhood is important, when buying property; you must live in fairyland (or maybe just near the Fruit Loop).

Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I'm a big white guy, so I don't want to live in an all black neighborhood.
I'm straight, so I don't want to live in a Gay neighborhood, or near the "Fruit Loop." I like Asian ladies, so that means I don't necessarily want to be around a bunch of fat pigs. It also means that I am a World traveler, and I have been exposed to many different cultures.
Too funny! Have you considered the deep south as an alternative to Pittsburgh?

Quote:
Why would I think I can get a cheap house in a good neighborhood? Because, when I go to realtor.com there are 500 houses under 50K; scattered all over Pittsburgh. Does this clarify things?
The houses under 50k aren't in good neighborhoods.

Quote:
Every job I have applied for ask me to state my race on the application; so put your "race cards" away.
If you don't think the racial profile of a neighborhood is important, when buying property; you must live in fairyland (or maybe just near the Fruit Loop).
Oh, my goodness. Dude, Pittsburgh doesn't necessarily have an Asian neighborhood.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 PM

Hopes--the part of Forbes Ave. I was inquiring about is near Murphy Hospital.
Does that mean anything to you?

Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh