Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:36 PM

15 posts, read 91,994 times

Advertisements

We've been thinking about moving from downtown to Richland in search of open spaces.

How are the schools?
Politics?
Town Services?
Friendliness to outsiders?

Anything else worth noting is appreciated. The property values look really good for the space you get. Is that a warning?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 03:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Pine/Richland is a good school district. The Richland area is very nice. My husband is from the area, and I have many friends who live there as well. People there are just as friendly to outsiders as any Pittsburgh area. I can't tell you about the politics or town services. If nobody answers those questions in your thread, I'll ask my girlfriend for her opinion.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:42 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,359 times
Pine-Richland is an excellent school district. The area is kid oriented, so there are all types of recreational activities for the kids. Lots of shopping in Wexford, Route 8 and of course it is very close to Cranberry. We have a Starbucks, Wal-mart and Target will be opening soon. There is a police department, library, and an excellent EMS (SIL is the director.) What other town services were you looking for?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghREA View Post
What other town services were you looking for?
Perhaps street cleaning (Fox Chapel has that) or rodent control (most townships have abandoned that because it's expensive).

Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,638,813 times
We will be closing on a house in Gibsonia in less than 3 weeks and really like the look of the area. It is convienent and we got a nice house for our money. Schools are not an issue for us but we did investigate due to the resale factor and Pine Richland is rated well. I will be glad to be closer to some of the businesses there. (We moved here from the west coast in March and have a temporary rental in Indiana township. )It also has one of the few large flat lots we saw during out search. We looked all over and really wanted to be a bit closer to the city but simply could not find a house big enough for us that we could afford. As much as I love city life it may have to wait until retirement. I am looking forward to life in Gibsonia.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:12 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
We will be closing on a house in Gibsonia in less than 3 weeks and really like the look of the area. It is convienent and we got a nice house for our money. Schools are not an issue for us but we did investigate due to the resale factor and Pine Richland is rated well. I will be glad to be closer to some of the businesses there. (We moved here from the west coast in March and have a temporary rental in Indiana township. )It also has one of the few large flat lots we saw during out search. We looked all over and really wanted to be a bit closer to the city but simply could not find a house big enough for us that we could afford. As much as I love city life it may have to wait until retirement. I am looking forward to life in Gibsonia.
We're looking forward to having you!

Old 07-08-2007, 02:46 PM

15 posts, read 91,994 times
Hi All -- Thanks for the info so far. This weekend we drove around and looked at some houses to get an idea about how much land/house you can get for your money close to the city. So far Gibsonia/Richland is winning because like hinsey86 said you can get a bit more space or acerage for a reasonable amount. The downside is a lot of planned development without trees and there is no "downtown" but no place is perfect. And so far it is the closest to the city.

We looked out by Tarentum today and saw property that was basically in the woods on a mountainside and that was cheap to buy but expensive to buildout and honestly a bit scary. Fox Chapel has space but seems expensive so far.

Now we're thinking of also looking for land in Gibsonia/Richland. Any additional info or thoughts are welcomed.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:00 PM

Try O'Hara Township, Indiana Township, and West Deer too.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,832 times
Schools are great
Churches are great
friendly people
safe area
politics to the left
Have lived here my whole life and I would never want to leave

Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 AM

15 posts, read 40,405 times
MONEY THAT'S WHAT I WANT- Should be the theme for Richland/Gibsonia and Wexford. Bravo can do a show - 'Real housewives of Wexford'.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh