Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 AM

9 posts, read 21,640 times

Advertisements

I asked this question earlier but a senior member recommended me to start a new post on this.

I am new to Pittsburgh area and looking for a decent /safe area. I have heard about new developments going on in East Liberty area and the proximity and ease of transportation to the town is of particular interest to me. In addition I am trying to focus on a new locality on Broad St (Fairflield Apartments).

I would appreciate if people who have lived in Pittsburgh area long enough ,or for that matter close to the neighbourhood in question, could give me some suggestions /info about this area.

I know the commute to and from the town is very very easy if we are in this area.But considering that my wife will be alone all day at home and I might be commuting late nights sometimes, how safe is this area?
I am asking specifically about general safety and well-being, like no stray bums knocking the door of my home while I am away , you know what I mean...!!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:09 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Moving our conversation from another thread over . . .

So we go to that section of East Liberty quite a bit. We use the Home Depot and Trader Joe's somewhat frequently, we have gone to local restaurants and bars in the evening, we have taken our son to the new library, I'm sure we will be using the new Target when it opens, and so on. Our regular bus Downtown also uses the East Busway, and stops in East Liberty. That is why I would personally have no problem living there--we are there frequently anyway.

That said: right now living in that area you will see some poorer people on the streets, some rundown buildings, some less-than-upscale stores, and so on. The sense of improvement is unmistakable, but so is the fact the area is improving from a not-so-good condition not long ago.

I don't think random people are going to be knocking on your door or anything like that. But as I suggested before, this really comes down to your personal comfort level--some people have no problem living in transitional areas, and it makes some people anxious, so you have to know yourself.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:16 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Having been a Highland Park resident most of my life; I'd find a different neighborhood.

There's a lot of petty crime in the area; not violent, but bothersome.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM

9 posts, read 21,640 times
thank you Brian for your help.
Like you said it really comes down to a person's personal comfort level, this shows when I got mixed kind of comments from people. Some people say its a very nice area and developing well and some people say that it wouldnt be safe to walk from bus stops to home on Broad St. during night time.

So this is confusing and it makes even more sense to me to check out the area by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh