U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,866,968 times

Advertisements

Is anybody else annoyed at how they orient all of this development towards yuppies? Also, these developers and politicians seem to be oblivious to the fact that when you build new retail in an area with a stagnating population all you do is move commercial business around. In other words, every time one of these new developments goes up and is successful, you kill something else. Take a walk through Station Square's mall for example. It's dead as hell in there.

It's just like when Mayor Murphy got the Lord & Taylor store to come downtown. People don't come into the city for stuff they can get out in the suburbs. Only weird and eclectic neighborhoods with stuff you can't find in a mall seems to attract people which in turn builds up a residential base. Hence why Shadyside and South Side thrive (mostly). These politicians need to pull their heads out of their asses to study and emulate what actually works.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 PM

570 posts, read 1,293,849 times
Default A sure winner- XXX connected to LA Fitness ' an urban success story'

Ahhh Adult Video Warehouse in that space with big bright neon lights glowing all night long will bring in double the customers JB ever did. Recipe for winners ! ark ark.. Whomever mentioned residential over retail as first development stage hit it on the bulls-eye !!! Oh well, Toby keith still might rescue us all.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 PM

6,304 posts, read 7,930,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Is anybody else annoyed at how they orient all of this development towards yuppies? Also, these developers and politicians seem to be oblivious to the fact that when you build new retail in an area with a stagnating population all you do is move commercial business around. In other words, every time one of these new developments goes up and is successful, you kill something else. Take a walk through Station Square's mall for example. It's dead as hell in there.

It's just like when Mayor Murphy got the Lord & Taylor store to come downtown. People don't come into the city for stuff they can get out in the suburbs. Only weird and eclectic neighborhoods with stuff you can't find in a mall seems to attract people which in turn builds up a residential base. Hence why Shadyside and South Side thrive (mostly). These politicians need to pull their heads out of their asses to study and emulate what actually works.
I agree. We need to first get businesses to come here and bring jobs so that the population can increase; then we can build new retail. Another example of how adding a large scale development of retail taking away from existing retail could be the decline of Century 3 Mall while the Waterfront boomed and took away business from the traditional mall that was at one time one of the largest in the country.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 AM

357 posts, read 813,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yeah, SSW is ending up more Waterfront than South Side, which is not the right model these days.
And the Waterfront has the advantage of free parking to draw customers in, while SSW does not (unless you get a validation, e.g. at the Cheesecake Factory).

Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 AM

3,191 posts, read 6,072,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Not a surprise.
Nope, not at all. That smaller store was a strange set up.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 AM

24,949 posts, read 26,855,478 times
I'm surprised that they're not at least staying open through the holidays.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 AM

9,918 posts, read 21,988,495 times
Yeah that really struck me as odd to close before holiday boost. All I can figure is that they're really strapped for cash. Also, if they were this close to deciding to close two stores, why did they even bother to move just a few months ago? I suppose perhaps they got some concessions from the landlord just to stay, I dunno.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:24 AM

3,191 posts, read 6,072,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yeah that really struck me as odd to close before holiday boost. All I can figure is that they're really strapped for cash. Also, if they were this close to deciding to close two stores, why did they even bother to move just a few months ago? I suppose perhaps they got some concessions from the landlord just to stay, I dunno.
I liked it because they had some magazines, particularly car magazines, that you can't find anywhere else.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:10 AM

346 posts, read 481,559 times
What do you think would be a fit for the vacant fronts down there... I still "believe" in the SSW. Is there anything going on at the former Sharper Image Front?

Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM

4,332 posts, read 6,447,780 times
Perhaps I never got the South Side Works. At the start there was just the Z Gallery and REI and a buch of restaurants with long waits. Now there are more restaurants with long waits and even fewer shops. And as the OP said, you have to pay for parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh