U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 PM
 
346 posts, read 481,783 times
Reputation: 205

Advertisements

The parking is like a max of $3. I wish people would get over that lol... and if you're really a stickler you can park for free on the street, but in my experience the hassel of finding a street spot is worse then losing $3 bucks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
199 posts, read 469,749 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
What do you think would be a fit for the vacant fronts down there... I still "believe" in the SSW. Is there anything going on at the former Sharper Image Front?
Nope. Nada.

There's also nothing going on at the two empty clothing stores between Sur La Table and REI.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
199 posts, read 469,749 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
The parking is like a max of $3. I wish people would get over that lol... and if you're really a stickler you can park for free on the street, but in my experience the hassel of finding a street spot is worse then losing $3 bucks.
So untrue. The parking is a max of $3 if you get there after 5:30 on weekdays and all day on weekends.

Where does that leave people that want to go for lunch? Or someone who's headed out around 4:30?

I've had way too many instances where I had to park in the garage for my lunch shift and come out having to pay $8 or $10... which is typically half of what I made since no one comes to the SSW for lunch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM
 
Location: ɥbɹnqsʇʇıd
4,601 posts, read 6,036,978 times
Reputation: 3516
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Is anybody else annoyed at how they orient all of this development towards yuppies?
Yeah, I know what you mean. It seems that whenever a new development springs up it's geared toward yuppies. Not only that, nearly every store is some generic corporate store that already exists somewhere else selling stuff that you could buy much cheaper online. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM
 
346 posts, read 481,783 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. It seems that whenever a new development springs up it's geared toward yuppies. Not only that, nearly every store is some generic corporate store that already exists somewhere else selling stuff that you could buy much cheaper online. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Doesn't that pretty much explain every store? I don't think Aunt Olga's homemade cuckoo clocks would fare much better?

However, maybe they went a bit too upscale... Maybe some more retail aimed at younger professionals and college kids..

All the stores that have closed are more geared towards the older professional crowd Z Gallerie, Kenneth Cole, Cole Haan, Anne Taylor, Benneton (except JB)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:47 PM
 
Location: ɥbɹnqsʇʇıd
4,601 posts, read 6,036,978 times
Reputation: 3516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
Doesn't that pretty much explain every store? I don't think Aunt Olga's homemade cuckoo clocks would fare much better?

However, maybe they went a bit too upscale... Maybe some more retail aimed at younger professionals and college kids..

All the stores that have closed are more geared towards the older professional crowd Z Gallerie, Kenneth Cole, Cole Haan, Anne Taylor, Benneton (except JB)
Not really, you can go down the road into the Southside and find all kinds of funky and unique shops and restaurants. Putting in another Qdoba and expensive shoe stores are only going to attract the same exact people that shop at the same type of corporate store sprawls elsewhere.

There's really nothing there appealing to younger crowds except gigantic beers at Hofbrauhaus. What ever happened to the New American Music Union Festival that happened a few years down there? It sold out and brought alot of hipsters to the area but never came back. Those are the types of things they should be encouraged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_American_Music_Union
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 PM
 
Location: North Oakland
9,154 posts, read 9,364,666 times
Reputation: 14416
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
There's also nothing going on at the two empty clothing stores between Sur La Table and REI.
Does anyone know how well Sur La Table is doing? Should I be getting ready for a GOOB sale?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 PM
 
20,273 posts, read 29,986,922 times
Reputation: 2898
New developments tend to start with lots of well-established brands because they can better absorb the marketing costs and initial risks of getting people to visit a new place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM
 
364 posts, read 859,105 times
Reputation: 117
This has nothing to with location and everything to do with the store. B&M bookstores are a [quickly] dying breed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh area
9,918 posts, read 22,005,108 times
Reputation: 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
This has nothing to with location and everything to do with the store. B&M bookstores are a [quickly] dying breed.
Yeah, true, and a smaller outfit like Joseph-Beth can't keep absorbing losses or still making it while they scramble for new avenues like Barnes and Noble. Borders, I suspect, while definitely also grasping at things, will die sooner, or at least go through a bankruptcy reorg soonish. Although they've seemed to avert that so far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:16 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top