Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
a) There is no sales tax on prepared food.

b) There is no Kaufman's. It was purchased by Macy's.

Captain
Wanna know how old I am? When I decided to work in retail at the tender age of 18, I applied at Gimbel's, Horne's and Kaufmann's.... and worked at Kaufmann's.... and saw the end of Gimbel's. I worked at the Kaufmann's in North Hills, on McKnight and Seibert Rd. I think that's a Dicks Lumberteria or something now?

I'm 47.... 48 in in 33 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Wanna know how old I am? When I decided to work in retail at the tender age of 18, I applied at Gimbel's, Horne's and Kaufmann's.... and worked at Kaufmann's.... and saw the end of Gimbel's. I worked at the Kaufmann's in North Hills, on McKnight and Seibert Rd. I think that's a Dicks Lumberteria or something now?

I'm 47.... 48 in in 33 days.
Macy's only purchased Kaufman's a year or two ago, so you don't have to be old to remember Kaufman's. Does anyone know if Macy's continued the tradition of decorating the windows for Christmas at the downtown store?

Captain

Old 07-10-2007, 07:48 AM

149 posts, read 608,415 times
Off topic again here... I'm only 2 yrs younger than Tallysmom (by 10 days!) and used to go to Jenkins Arcade, Gimbels, Horne's, and of course Kaufman's. I think one of the biggest meeting places in Pittsburgh was "under Kaufman's Clock". Did Macy's keep the clock?

(Last year I took the T up to the City/County Building, so I didn't get to walk past it.)

Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueJ999 View Post
Off topic again here... I'm only 2 yrs younger than Tallysmom (by 10 days!) and used to go to Jenkins Arcade, Gimbels, Horne's, and of course Kaufman's. I think one of the biggest meeting places in Pittsburgh was "under Kaufman's Clock". Did Macy's keep the clock?

(Last year I took the T up to the City/County Building, so I didn't get to walk past it.)
I was SO RIGHTOUSLY ticked when they tore down the Jenkins Arcade. That building so Deco-cool... Our dentist and our eye doctor were there, so I was in that building at least twice a year. I loved going to the bathrooms... the hallways were all twisty and turney, with 2 steps up and down here and there. Like a maze you couldn't get real lost in. And everything was that greyish white marble.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 PM

59 posts, read 110,735 times
Default beer taxes

Tax on beer from a distributor is most often included in the price. Say you're buying a case of Yuengling from the 24 hour distributor on Federal St for $21.00. The actual retail price is probably more more like $19.65, but the distributor includes the 6 or 7% sales tax in the posted price at the store.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I was SO RIGHTOUSLY ticked when they tore down the Jenkins Arcade. That building so Deco-cool... Our dentist and our eye doctor were there, so I was in that building at least twice a year. I loved going to the bathrooms... the hallways were all twisty and turney, with 2 steps up and down here and there. Like a maze you couldn't get real lost in. And everything was that greyish white marble.
My dermatologist was in the Jenkins Arcade. I took the PAT bus into town after school about once a month to go there! It was a cool building.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:31 PM

206 posts, read 688,641 times
LOL -- back to the topic at hand. I'd say if you're young and don't mind a bit of urban grit, Lawrenceville is the artiest neighborhood in Pittsburgh. There's a lot of little arty shops on Butler St and a lot of artists live in the area. Take note that many houses in Lawrenceville are row houses and a couple sets seem to burn every winter due to people overloading circuits with space heaters or knocking over a kerosene heater, so if you go for a row house there, try to find one with neighbors who seem like they can pay their gas bill.

As for the South Side, it was arty 10-15 years ago -- now it's just shopping, bars, and overpriced housing.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:08 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Just for the record, Macy's did not buy Kaufmann's. Both Macy's and Kaufmann's, as well as Hecht's, Filene's and many others, were all owned by the May Company out of St. Louis. When May, and rival Federated Stores merged, they decided to scrap the old system of a different name in each market, and consolidate most of it's stores under one name. Since Macy's was the most well known name they had, they chose it, and now most of their stores carry the Macy's name. They are very pissed in Chicago about losing the Marshall Fields name.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:10 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_torquemada View Post
LOL -- back to the topic at hand. I'd say if you're young and don't mind a bit of urban grit, Lawrenceville is the artiest neighborhood in Pittsburgh. There's a lot of little arty shops on Butler St and a lot of artists live in the area. Take note that many houses in Lawrenceville are row houses and a couple sets seem to burn every winter due to people overloading circuits with space heaters or knocking over a kerosene heater, so if you go for a row house there, try to find one with neighbors who seem like they can pay their gas bill.

As for the South Side, it was arty 10-15 years ago -- now it's just shopping, bars, and overpriced housing.
Yeah, being from Detroit, you might not be comfortable with rowhouse living, as it's very much an eastern thing.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:11 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if Macy's continued the tradition of decorating the windows for Christmas at the downtown store?
Yep, they did!!
Quote:
This is definitely just one man's opinion. I don't agree with it at all. Although the house of property is definitely getting too high, there, that is true. Okay, maybe I agree with it in part, because I wasn't down there 15 years ago to see.

I also completely agree with what they did at the far end of Carson (long after the artsy side, btw) - that was prime property along the waterfront with a great view to build exactly what they did. It brings in a lot of revenue, jobs, more living (and more being planned), and great eating and shopping. It was a smart move. Little artsy places as much as I love them could have never in a million years have upheld such an endeavor.

Last edited by guylocke; 09-03-2007 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh