Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 11:39 AM

12 posts, read 26,980 times

Advertisements

I am orginially from Youngstown, Ohio. I left 17 years ago for the military and ended up just outside of Washington D.C. in Nothern Virginia. I work in Virginia but my company HQ is in Dallas, Texas and we have a small office in Canonsburg. I have been given the option to relocate or stay in Virginia.

Canonsburg (Pittsburgh) - I would have a good job for the area and I would be close to my family. However I look longterm and I'm not sure how much growth I would have with my company. Plus, I grew up in Youngstown, still visit, and I worry about the economy, job market, and my kids future. Will they have jobs? Will they need to move away like I did? What if I want to switch jobs or lose mine?

Virginia - It's expensive but my friends are here and I could find a new job at ease. I know the area well, the parks and schools are great. But my family needs a bigger place.

Dallas, Texas - Inexpensive, warmer weather, good schools. My career would probably take off if I relocated here. The economy and job market is also good. But I'd be away from both my family and friends.

I've been away from my immediate family for 17 years except for holidays. I feel bad that I actually/finally have a chance to move back but I'm concerned about taking care of my family (wife and child).

Do I seem selfish? I don't even know how to rank these three places because I see pros and cons for each.

Maybe I need to vent.. but any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 12:14 PM

98 posts, read 172,999 times
Hi,

How old are your children? If they are not in their late teens I really don't think I would worry about them finding a job (who knows what the future will bring.) Even if they do have to leave to find a job, what's so terrible about that? I think moving away from one's parents is part of the maturing process myself.

If advancing your career is top-priority consider Dallas, if not, remove it from the list.

Do you really NEED a bigger house? It sounds like you are happy in NoVA.

I don't know what the situation of your family is but I am facing the reality of aging parents (they are in decent health now thank goodness) and I am an only child. Taking care of them is going to be up to me when the time comes. If this isn't a problem, great. Also, ask yourself honestly how many times will I realistically visit them if I move to Cannonsburg? It is possible that you may end up only seeing them 1 or 2 times more a year than you do now.

I hope I have helped in some way.
Best of luck.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:55 PM

12 posts, read 26,980 times
Good questions and points. Our son is three years old. If we move closer to our families in Youngstown we could have more help than we do now. We could drop him off for a weekend and have time to ourselves. Right now I see my family about three or four times a year (max). If I moved to Pittsburgh, I'm sure I'd see them at least once a month.

As for aging parents. My father passed away earlier this year and while I do think my mother could always use my help, I do have three other siblings that live within minutes from her. With that, I have lots and lots of cousins. Which in turn, means more family for our son to play/know/love. And we hope to have more children.

By the way.. I don't need a bigger house. But I don't need/want the Northern Virgnia mortgage.

Dallas is still in play. Virginia seems out. Pittsburgh is where my family is..

We will figure it out. Thanks again for your reply

Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,351 times
While there are those who have toxic relations with their families, it sounds like your family is close-knit, with family members helping other family members. If that is the case, there are a lot of benefits that come from raising your child(ren) near to your family that can't be quantified in the same way as salaries and promotions. Which is not to say that those things are unimportant, but kids don't necessarily look back and remember whether their family made $100k vs. $75k, but they often do remember the closeness of growing up surrounded by cousins and grandparents. FWIW

Old 11-06-2010, 07:25 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
It depends on what will make you happier. If being close to your family will make you happier, then move to Pittsburgh. If career advancement will make you happier, move to Dallas.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
it sounds like you have a good handle on a tough decision. it does sound like dallas' career vs pittsburgj family. is your real concern whether you could find another job in pitttsburgh if need be?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
You did say that if you lived in Pittsburgh, you'd only make it to Youngstown once a month.

So, it isn't REALLY like you are in the same town, and you'll be able to drop the kids off randomly whenever you or they want.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I'm currently relocating from Northern Virginia (NoVA) to Pittsburgh, and I am quite pleased with my decision. Consider what a higher salary vs. cost-of-living ratio will do to help you finance a better "dream" life for your family. If you have established a network of close friends/colleagues in NoVA and have family in Youngstown, then living in Canonsburg gives you the opportunity to live within an easy drive of either destination to visit.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:43 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
id say pick dallas, based on your concerns about long-term employment. from your post, dallas sounds like the most exciting and beneficial area for you, too.

you will make friends there. your family can come to visit you, you know!
im not sure what part of 'northern va' you are in (prince william co., fairfax co., etc.) but if you do move you just may see how refreshing people and places outside that movie set land of endless sprawl and manicured landscaping are.*

*does not apply to most of arlington county and alexandria city

Old 11-09-2010, 02:13 AM

17 posts, read 48,590 times
Hi, I currently live near Canonsburg...based on everything you said my guess is your company is involved with the Marcellus Shale? Yes? If so, that industry is in it's infancy here, and is booming!! Not to mention this is the largest deposit found in the US thus far--with the largest majority here in PA. Southpointe is in Canonsburg, where many of these corporate offices are located. There are 52 companies associated with the shale industry in Southpointe alone. The companies are doubling and tripling in size in as little as a few years. There is a long life expected in this industry here, and people are moving up the corporate ladder fast. It is a good place to be.

There are also a lot of great school districts in the area: Mount Lebanon (a nice walking community 20 min away from Canonsburg) and Chartiers Valley (right on the hwy about 10 min away) Really, most schools in the area are good. Some better then others, but all are pretty good. Peters Twp is really nice, but if you have a special needs child...stay away. They are horrible about providing support. Canon Mac is nice too. As is Upper St. Clair.

Pittsburgh is a great city. It is a fine mix of culture, Steeler and Penguin pride, and Yinzer. LOL. The people are good, and I love this town. The southside is a lot of fun too.

It is about 2 hours from Youngstown. The cost of living is reasonable. Housing is practically a bargain, ESPECIALLY compared to NOVA. (Which, ironically, I am relocating too...)

Hope this helps! BTW, which do you recommend? Burke VA or Fredericksburg? Commute is to DC (Capitol Hill) and I need a 3 bedroom place for 2 grand or less. I would prefer a house. I need a good school district too. I am looking to ride the VRE. My job will be fast paced, so I want laid back and quiet at home. I don't need a hip night life. (I will be to busy watching the Pens on TV anyhow. LOL) Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh