U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 8,083 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing next week for a very good job at the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville. My husband and I are in our early 50s, professional people, with no kids. The posts about Titusville I could find on this board were pretty dismal but most were 18 months or older. We grew up in a very small, rural town in Maryland so we understand the "we're a small town with nothing to do" mentality.

My husband is a chemist. Any hope that he could find a position teaching or in industry in the surrounding communities?

Is there any hope for economic redevelopment in this part of the state?

Is Titusville still considered the Meth Capitol of PA? (I read that in a post on this board.)

We live in North Carolina so I am already bracing for the harsh climate change.

The job opportunity is very appealing but I need to know that the whole town isn't going to fall down around us within a year of moving there...or has it already fallen and can't get up?

Thanks for any guidance/insights you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 03:40 PM

2,145 posts, read 2,031,897 times
Quote:
Is Titusville still considered the Meth Capitol of PA? (I read that in a post on this board.)
Well, you said your husband's a chemist....

But seriously, it was a looong time ago, but I went to Pitt at Titusvuille. I can't say what it may be like today, but if it would widen your husband's possibilities any, a commute from Titusville to Oil City, Franklin, or Meadville wouldn't be any longer time-wise than what many of us here in Pittsburgh have by the time you factor in rush hour traffic. And my chemistry prof at that time commuted every day from Edinboro, where they also have a university.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:03 PM

6 posts, read 8,083 times
Yes, but he's not THAT kind of Chemist!! LOL!! He currently teaches Chemistry at the University where we both work though.

May I take your suggestion to mean that the surrounding communities (Oil City, Franklin, or Meadville) are a bit more vibrant with more job opportunities?

I'd be happy to consider a midway point for both of us to find jobs.

thanks for the information.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
May I take your suggestion to mean that the surrounding communities (Oil City, Franklin, or Meadville) are a bit more vibrant with more job opportunities?
I don't have any idea, since I don't get up that way very often, and when I do, it's just passing through.

I was just addressing the fact that out in the country, a 30 mile commute might take 30 minutes, where here, you can spend the same 30 minutes on the Parkway and only go three miles. But it does open a lot more possibilities than trying to find something right there in Titusville. As far as that goes, if you're willing to split the difference, Titusville and Erie are only about an hour apart.

Quote:
He currently teaches Chemistry at the University where we both work though.

Well then, I'll also suggest that besides Edinboro, Theil College in Greenville isn't too far away, and Penn State has a campus in Erie. Those are just off the top of my head. There may also be others I'm not thinking of.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,439,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur25 View Post
The posts about Titusville I could find on this board were pretty dismal but most were 18 months or older.
Titusville has not changed in 18 months. I grew up around there.

Quote:
We grew up in a very small, rural town in Maryland so we understand the "we're a small town with nothing to do" mentality.
A small town in Maryland is much different than a small town in northwestern PA. There is nothing left. Those towns shouldn't even exist anymore to be honest. You probably have never rolled into a town that has been dying for the past fifty years. Go visit for a day. You will experience massive culture shock and you will see what I am talking about.

Quote:
My husband is a chemist. Any hope that he could find a position teaching or in industry in the surrounding communities?
There are very very few jobs there. A significant amount of the population is on public assistance.

Quote:
No. It is dead and not coming back.

Quote:
Not the capitol per se....but there is meth all over up there. I have seen it up close and personal and it is disgusting.

Quote:
We live in North Carolina so I am already bracing for the harsh climate change.
Haha...yep. It will be rather harsh for you. It gets cold and there is a decent amount of snow. Also, it is gray many days of the year.

Quote:
The job opportunity is very appealing but I need to know that the whole town isn't going to fall down around us within a year of moving there...or has it already fallen and can't get up?
It's not that the town will turn into the apocalypse in two years or anything. It's just a small and dying rust belt dump with no opportunities. The residents have lived there for their entire lives and most of them are on welfare.

Who knows, maybe it would be a good opportunity. You might be able to use the job as a resume builder to transfer to the main campus in Pittsburgh or another school. But, you don't want to live there (or any other NW PA town) permanently. Trust me on that. All of the main towns (Oil City, Franklin, Warren, Mercer, Meadville, Titusville, etc..) are holes. Erie has some stuff though. One bonus about living up there....houses are cheap.

I strongly advise the Pittsburgh area instead if you want to move to Western Pennsylvania.

Last edited by Renaldo5000; 11-08-2010 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 PM

130 posts, read 151,865 times
I went to college at Clarion University, which is about a half hour south of Titusville. Although it was a shock moving from Pittsburgh to a small town like Clarion, and it took some getting used to, I really enjoyed my stay there. These small PA towns are safe, and there is plenty of outdoor activities to keep you busy. Homes are cheap, and there are plenty of really cool Victorian homes to choose from. With Pitt's branch campus being in Titusville, you will find lots of like minded people living around the vicinity.

I don't know of any chemical companies around that area, but your husband could get emergency certified to teach Chemistry or science at the high school level. Schools are always looking for qualified science teachers, and with his background, he will be a prime candidate.

As far as Meth - drug use is scattered all throughout the countryside just like it is in the cities. If you don't do drugs, then there's really nothing to worry about.

The winters can be harsh and there's lots of snow in that area, but are very pretty nonetheless.

I would travel up to PA and check the area out. By working at Pitt's branch campus, you could open all kinds of doors to possibly transfer to Pitt's main campus in Pittsburgh. Check it out!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,021,552 times
Quote:

There are hundreds of thousands of acres containing Marcellus Shale gas in that region. Although Marcellus Shale drilling is in the early stages in Pennsylvania,if the growth happens as predicted there will be thousands of jobs created from this industry and many will be in that region.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I went to college at Clarion University, which is about a half hour south of Titusville.
I never thought Titusville was that close to Clarion. Mapquest puts them about an hour apart. And again, if they're willing to split the commute evenly, that's only around a half hour for each.

And as far as the dismal view forwrded by iwonderwhy2124, if Pittsburgh itself wasn't so centered on "Eds and Meds" we might be in a similar situation. The OP and husband are obviously in the "Eds" sector, so maybe the perceived lack of opportunity in the rest of the economy won't be too much of an issue.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I never thought Titusville was that close to Clarion. Mapquest puts them about an hour apart. And again, if they're willing to split the commute evenly, that's only around a half hour for each.
Clarion is more like an hour away from Titusville...especially during winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
And as far as the dismal view forwrded by iwonderwhy2124, if Pittsburgh itself wasn't so centered on "Eds and Meds" we might be in a similar situation. The OP and husband are obviously in the "Eds" sector, so maybe the perceived lack of opportunity in the rest of the economy won't be too much of an issue.
Jobs are tight up there period.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
There are hundreds of thousands of acres containing Marcellus Shale gas in that region. Although Marcellus Shale drilling is in the early stages in Pennsylvania,if the growth happens as predicted there will be thousands of jobs created from this industry and many will be in that region.
It's not going to be enough. Most of the money from Marcellus will go a few landowners, the state and far-off corporations who are buying up all of the leases. The area will never have the jobs, population or opportunity that it once had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh