Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:36 PM

250 posts, read 359,742 times

Advertisements

I'm glad they didn't take the easy way out and just cover it up. As long as they're willing to put themselves out there like that (opening themselves to potentially harmful misinterpretation), it's a good lesson for people on stigma and historical relevancy.

Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out how deep a history this symbol really has. Something tells me that will ultimately outlast the association with Nazism.

Also, although granted this wouldn't occur to most people, the Nazi swastika is tilted 45° which is not a common use of it in other historical/architectural/anthropological applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
At a minimum, I think it is too soon to tell whether the Nazis have permanently established the meaning of this symbol (in broad terms, the Nazis were very recent, within the memories of many still living today). And I guess my feeling is that we shouldn't help them cement their place in symbolic history by expunging all non-Nazi uses of the symbol from common view, but I do understand why people feel otherwise.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:44 AM

31 posts, read 102,756 times
I bet in 100 more years, the swastika won't mean what it means now. But the Nazis were only 60 years ago, and there are people who lost their families and parents and grandparents in that. In the course of history, it's still a fresh wound. It's a tough call, and truthfully, if I owned the house, I'd probably go back and forth about it.
I also agree with the fact that the swastika symbol of the Nazis was tilted, to me, that's always been like an upside down cross.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM

73 posts, read 120,298 times
The swastika is pure Pennsylvania Dutch. There are dozens of barns with decorative swastikas on them throughout the Commonwealth. Eighty years before that symbol was usurped by the Nazis, that symbol on your barn could get you lynched in the south. It was a symbol of the "Dutchies" who were passionately anti-slavery.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 PM

31 posts, read 102,756 times
Well, there you go - the symbol has been around for more than 3000 years, and it's been co opted by different groups. I didn't know that it was an anti-slavery symbol as well. Interesting.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:39 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Thing is, it's kinda like a rented tuxedo. It may have been worn on many happy occasions, but once it's been worn to murder somebody, maybe it's time to throw it away. Bloodstains are hard to get out...

Last edited by ditchdigger; 12-04-2010 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: thought of a better similie

Old 12-04-2010, 11:37 PM

52 posts, read 89,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think the best result is the home being owned by people who don't mind doing the explaining. This is sort of continuing a conversation from a prior thread, but while I am sympathetic to the strong negative feelings this symbol invokes in some, I also think it is worth gradually redeeming the symbol itself, in light of its widespread benign use both historically and globally today.
I couldn't agree more with the post above, and commend the homeowners for embracing the history of their home. Reclaiming something that's been tainted by hate is the best antidote for that hate, and educating people who are concerned or initially offended is a great service. They are clearly open to and willing to do that, so it's great to see.

On the subject of the symbol itself, I would often see it in woodworking and floor inlays in older homes. It's a beautiful design - I'm fairly certain that those who came up with it would not approve of its more notorious use, but would love this.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:58 PM

52 posts, read 89,653 times
Default symbols and redemption, easily done, slowly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
At a minimum, I think it is too soon to tell whether the Nazis have permanently established the meaning of this symbol (in broad terms, the Nazis were very recent, within the memories of many still living today). And I guess my feeling is that we shouldn't help them cement their place in symbolic history by expunging all non-Nazi uses of the symbol from common view, but I do understand why people feel otherwise.
well put, Brian. Because we are human, we have a remarkably stunted sense of time, history, and all that's associated with it. Symbols can be redeemed, and for those truly concerned about reclaiming it, what better way than to to make sure it's original use does not succumb to that which others had intended?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:48 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGyves View Post
On the subject of the symbol itself, I would often see it in woodworking and floor inlays in older homes. It's a beautiful design - I'm fairly certain that those who came up with it would not approve of its more notorious use, but would love this.
It emerges naturally from certain weaving and inlay patterns--I gather that is is one of the possible explanations for why it arose in several different ancient civilizations.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,865 times
The article says that Herman S. Davis was an astronomer, so the entire house is probably filled with lots of awesome esoteric and Sumerian stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh