U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:22 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,672,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
translation:

the first? someone whose music i don't like.
Actually the only "song" I've ever heard is that "Black and Gold" ridiculousness. I just laugh at the American public who support/follow/idolize rap and it's culture. Most of the "music" is about a lifestyle that most listeners can't even relate to.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,551,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Actually the only "song" I've ever heard is that "Black and Gold" ridiculousness. I just laugh at the American public who support/follow/idolize rap and it's culture. Most of the "music" is about a lifestyle that most listeners can't even relate to.
i don't even understand how this is an answer to my post.

me: you don't like his music
you: actually, i don't like his "music"

ok, you've only heard one song, but apparently you don't like it. that you can make such sweeping statements about his music based on one song is your problem, not mine.

putting "song" and "music" in quotes is cute. it's music dude. you just don't like it. how arrogant to claim that it's not music just because you don't like it. note: i don't like it either (although i kind of love how pittsburghy the video is) but i still recognize that it's music.

as for the rest of your post, i can't really relate to a lifestyle that consists of hanging around or wanting to hang around fairies and gnomes but i still like jethro tull, comus, and early david bowie. i can't relate to being a hard-drinking irishman but i still like the pogues and the clancy brothers. i can't relate to working on the railroad or hopping trains in the 1920s but i still like jimmie rodgers. i can't relate to being a viennese child prodigy (or the 18th century nobles he wrote operas about) but i still like mozart! i could go on and on.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
putting "song" and "music" in quotes is cute. it's music dude. you just don't like it. how arrogant to claim that it's not music just because you don't like it. note: i don't like it either (although i kind of love how pittsburghy the video is) but i still recognize that it's music.
If you want to refer to it as music, it's certainly your prerogative.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,305,310 times
That's exactly what I want out of music--for it to be about my own lifestyle.

I also like movies about people like me, TV shows about people like me, and books about people like me. Frankly, it would be best if I could spend my entire life within a giant ball with mirroring on the inside.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
If you want to refer to it as music, it's certainly your prerogative.
thanks for the selective non-answer.

anyway i'm off to listen to some music about office workers who live in western pennsylvania and are into knitting and gardening. maybe for some spice i'll listen to something about an office worker who lives in indiana or even vermont!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's exactly what I want out of music--for it to be about my own lifestyle.
Ok, so you all can relate to song about "rollin' down the street, smokin' en--doooo, sippin on gin and juice"?

How about this classic: "I'm on my way to ja illl rollin' on the grey goose".

There's the always popular "F*&^ the police".

Let's not forget "Check Yo' Self"

And then there's those silly songs like "Don't Stop Believing"......."Dream On"..........."Stairway to Heaven"........."The Last Time".......

Old 11-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Ok, so you all can relate to song about "rollin' down the street, smokin' en--doooo, sippin on gin and juice"?

How about this classic: "I'm on my way to ja illl rollin' on the grey goose".

There's the always popular "F*&^ the police".

Let's not forget "Check Yo' Self"
can you relate to led zeppelin's songs about hobbits?

or the rolling stones' song about being satan?

or eric clapton's songs about greek mythology?

or any of those artists' songs glorifying drug use and other criminal activity? can you relate to "jumpin jack flash" or "i shot the sheriff"?

and seriously, what is "relatable" about stairway to heaven? the lyrics are a bunch of nonsense.

Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow?
And did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

wow, i can really relate to that!

i mean, if you're going to take the stance that relating to the subject matter is so important, at least SOME people actually live the lifestyle described in the lyrics you quoted. people do drink gin and juice! people really don't like the police! even the gangsta stuff, some people do live like that. and many more people see that around them in their daily life. but NO ONE can relate zeppelin's songs about mordor and whatnot to their real life. unless you are an ent.

i don't know the lyrics to the wiz khalifa song very well, but isn't it mostly about being proud to be from pittsburgh? what could be more relatable than that?

"relating" to the subject matter has absolutely nothing to do with my enjoyment of the music, and i'm sure most people feel the same way. this is seriously the most ill thought out argument ever. just face it, you just don't like the music, maybe you don't like the lifestyle you associate it with, and you're scrambling for all these silly arguments to prove that it's somehow objectively worth less than the music you like when it's really just a matter of taste.

Last edited by groar; 11-12-2010 at 10:15 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 AM

hahah i just checked the lyrics to black and yellow and they are REALLY dumb. but that doesn't really negate my argument at all.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:20 AM

293 posts, read 252,935 times
I feel like I'm back in high school with people arguing over what constitutes as music.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
hahah i just checked the lyrics to black and yellow and they are really dumb.
well there you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh