Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
people told you you'd never find a job in pittsburgh? pshaw. the job market is down here like it is everywhere else, but it's actually not as bad as it is a lot of places. i lost my job this june and i was offered another one in july, started work in august. i took a week or so to hang out and do whatever i wanted, then sent in a million resumes and got 5 interviews and 2 offers. i don't even have a college degree, just a decent amount of varied experience, the writing and speaking ability to make it sound super impressive, and good references.

employers are swamped with applications, it's true, but most of them are atrociously written, pay no attention to the description or qualifications required for the job, etc.
I do have quite the knack for impressive cover letters if I do say so myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 AM

52 posts, read 89,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
So is there a bias towards people who have moved from other cities?
People couldn't have been nicer when we moved. If anything they were more receptive to the NYC/Brooklyn thing than I thought they'd be (probably didn't hurt that my wife had grown up in the South Hills.)

I'll always remember being introduced to someone at work for the first time who said that Pittsburgh gets excited whenever one person moves here.... "Now, two people," she said, "the city will throw a parade!" I think that got to the heart of a population some see only as dwindling, and a city that has so much to offer that lifelong residents want more people to get to see it.

We're glad we made our move, but oddly enough, my old boss found that when she relocated to San Francisco, people were more suspicious of her being a New Yorker. Go figure.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,845,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

This thread is wierd. There are posts about people buying cars to impress people, and posts about PhDs driving beaters instead of late model cars. There's no correlation, really.
Nothing weird about it. We are challenging popular perception about a person's degree of education and expected financial status.Doesn't it prove that we stereotype too much?
I think your husband is smart with his money. The instructor I subbed for was missing work d/t his old clunker and therefore losing money.That's when it's wise to trade in the old clunker, but maybe his personal finances did not enable him to do so.
At any rate, it's refreshing to see people who do not feel the need to have to drive the newest/best luxury car.

Speaking of pretentiousness, I guess I am not the only one who maintains that Pittsburgh is an unpretentious town. Here is an article in yesterday's paper about the popularity of hotdogs in Pittsburgh.
WQED's Rick Sebak, producer of national PBS documentary " A Hot Dog Program" said hotdogs are popular here because " It's unpretentious,and that's Pittsburgh"

Pittsburghers love a wiener - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,845,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGyves View Post
People couldn't have been nicer when we moved. If anything they were more receptive to the NYC/Brooklyn thing than I thought they'd be (probably didn't hurt that my wife had grown up in the South Hills.)
That's cuz we're NYC's little sister city! Even the Burgh's downtown looks like a baby Manhattan, and Uncle Carnegie left both cities lots of gifts!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 AM

28 posts, read 45,073 times
Going back to the original post, I moved here about six weeks ago from Raleigh, NC and, so far, have enjoyed Pittsburgh and its eclectic neighborhoods...

Old 11-17-2010, 08:33 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,135,561 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? When my brother took me to the South Side works, I said I felt like I was at FlatIron Crossing Mall in Broomfield, Colorado. Same stores.
No, I am not kidding. If you consider a 2-3 block area of the South Side to be representative of the whole, I guess you've got me. If you consider the other, oh, 30 blocks of it...not so much.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:14 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
IIRC, a lot of the restaurants on Carson St. are chains, too. Sure, there are some little boutiques and such. Kind of like the Pearl St. Mall in Boulder, CO. Maybe that's the comparison I should have made, not FlatIrons Mall. Station Square has lots of chains, too. My guess is the chains help bring in traffic to the "Mom and Pops".

Old 11-17-2010, 10:02 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,662,378 times
Quote:
IIRC, a lot of the restaurants on Carson St. are chains, too. Sure, there are some little boutiques and such. Kind of like the Pearl St. Mall in Boulder, CO. Maybe that's the comparison I should have made, not FlatIrons Mall. Station Square has lots of chains, too. My guess is the chains help bring in traffic to the "Mom and Pops".
You do not remember correctly.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:03 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Restaurants at Station Square

A quick perusal shows 10 of 15 restaurants to be chains (one local chain).

Pittsburgh Restaurants - South Side and Station Square Restaurants and Menus

Some duplicates. Some of the others are chains as well. There is also a Burger King on Carson St.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 AM

540 posts, read 864,343 times
Quote:
Restaurants at Station Square

A quick perusal shows 10 of 15 restaurants to be chains (one local chain).

Pittsburgh Restaurants - South Side and Station Square Restaurants and Menus

Some duplicates. Some of the others are chains as well. There is also a Burger King on Carson St.
Yes, there are many chains at Station Square and several at SSW. However, there are MANY more restaurants along Carson St. between the two that are NOT chains. Doing a quick count using google maps, I counted 20 chain restaurants and 46 non-chains between Station Square and SSW going along Carson. I even counted Primanti's, Fatheads, and Emiliano's as chains since they have more than 1 location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh