Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:38 AM

325 posts, read 1,074,183 times

Advertisements

Which squirrel hill pizzeria is your favorite? I have had this debate with many people. My vote is for Aiello's. Tell me which is your favortie, why and what is your favorite pie.

I go for the large pepperoni with sausage and mushrooms!!! Yum.....im starving!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,943,713 times
I've always thought that Pizza Amier on Forward Ave. is better than both of them.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:51 AM

831 posts, read 873,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
Which squirrel hill pizzeria is your favorite? I have had this debate with many people. My vote is for Aiello's. Tell me which is your favortie, why and what is your favorite pie.

I go for the large pepperoni with sausage and mushrooms!!! Yum.....im starving!!!
Aiello's by a long mile. Mineo's is only good if you like grease on a piece of crust!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:22 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,562,005 times
Aiello's is the best in the neighborhood imo without question.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:25 AM

429 posts, read 651,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I've always thought that Pizza Amier on Forward Ave. is better than both of them.
I was coming to say the same thing when I saw this thread! Both Mineo's and Aiello's are overrated and WAY overpriced. Pizza Amier is unknown, underrated, and has good prices.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:02 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,078,698 times
Love them both but I like Mineo's just a bit more. Pizza Amier is good too but not as good as eithe Aiello's or Mineo's IMO.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:46 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,492,906 times
I don't get some people's over the top praise for Mineo's.

Aiello's is better but still not a great pie.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,822,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post

Aiello's is better but still not a great pie.
I never understood it either. Been to both and even tried Mineo's a few times because it gets such rave reviews and I wanted to make sure. Just not very good. Sure I will eat it, but I certainly am not going to go out of my way.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,078,698 times
In my experience Aiello's is hit or miss depending on who is making the pizza. I remember years ago the old man would be in there for the day shift and he made the best pies at that time. Go in there at night and the pizza wasn't as good. I like Mineo's sauce better. Aiello's was supposedly started when a Mineo's employee allegedly left and took some recipes with him. That story was told to me by an old Pittsburgh professor who grew up in Squirrel Hill, I have heard a similar story over the years by others.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,841,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
For many years, Mineo's was the only pizza worth eating in Western Pennsylvania. I came here from New Jersey in the early '70s, and was bereft of slice before I discovered Mineo's (thank G-d the first people I met were from SH). People still say Mineo's is the best simply because it was true for such a long time.

My favorite Squirrel Hill pizza is Napoli. Even though they serve the small Pittsburgh slices ("cuts"), it tastes more like the pizza I grew up eating in NJ. Also, they deliver; Mineo's and Aiello's don't.

I don't like Aiello's pizza at all. The crust is so tough, nothing they put on top can improve it.

Except for the oil on top (cheese exudate? I tamp it with napkins), I can enjoy a slice at Mineo's. It tastes pretty good, at least.

I thought Lucci's Pizza, at Murray and Bartlett, was going to be good. Their slices are the size you get in NY and NJ, but that's where the resemblance ends. I used to like Italian Village, but at some point I started perceiving a big garlic powder aftertaste (undertaste?).

To sum up:
1. Napoli
2. Mineo's
3. Italian Village (maybe they've stopped going so heavy on the garlic powder)
4. Lucci's
5. Aiello's

There's a new pizza place where the hardware store used to be on Forbes, but I doubt that will last long. I liked it less than almost any pizza I've ever eaten, and would never go back.

I haven't tried Amier's on Forward.

I tried Stone Neapolitan, the new place at Gateway Center, last night. It was very good. The Margherita had maybe the thinnest crust underneath the tomato and cheese I've ever eaten. I would have liked more tomato and cheese, even if I had to pay more (base price is only $6.35). http://www.stonepizzeria.com/index.html

Last edited by jay5835; 11-02-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: