U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,119,890 times

Advertisements

I know he means well, but seems like he hasn't done enough to help bring any money to the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:06 PM

12 posts, read 7,040 times
Off the top of my head ... The largest Youth Employment Program in the county, housing (stability) for youth out of the foster system, Agriculture, GED Programs, a Community Center, the first green roof in the region and a 1 million + partnership with Levi's seems like a nice start? :-)

Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,133,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraddockArtist View Post
Shootings, drag-racing, under-age drinking, drunk drivers and litter are just some of the problems we are exposed to as residents, because of this bar. Can you honestly say you would want this club in your neighborhood?

Cheers!
Other problems you're exposed to include tons of noxious chemical emissions. I saw some flaring tonight. It was a small flash back to the Houston Ship Channel. But at least the people exposed down there pay the lowest property tax rate in the state and enjoy some of the best-funded schools. That's usually the compensation for living in an industrial park and the various cancers that develop. Not so in Braddock. You get to enjoy the cancers without the benefits. Joy.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,038,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I know he means well, but seems like he hasn't done enough to help bring any money to the community.
Are you kidding? How often do you think Braddock receives $1 million in one lump sum?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:15 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,037,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
In what world does a business own/control people who simply patronize their business?

(Hint: Not the world we live in.)
If this was a random act at this particular establishment in Braddock then I would classify the mayor's act as stepping over his legal boundaries.However, since the bar has had multiple incidents then the mayor was justified in doing what he did to put a stop to it.

In the world we live in there are also loitering laws that prohibit people from innocently standing in a designated vicinity with no criminal intent whatsoever, and are considered to be breaking the law on the premise that by loitering at said place will lead to criminal acts.

There are tenant nuisance laws in many municipalities that hold the property owners responsible if they fail to remedy the nuisance . The city has to authorize repeated use of costly resources and law enforcement at the same property that all the other residents in the community's tax dollars have to pay for.

It's time land owners be held responsible for properly maintaining the premises. If they live so far away and let the property go to sh@# ,the rest of the community who choose to reside in that community with an interest of improving and taking care of their community, shouldn't have to suffer/clean up after the absentee landlord.

If there is a majority of landlords who are negligent then the laws will continue to get tougher, and discourages GOOD landlords ( and I do see some who take very good care of their rental properties!)from wanting to rent at all.

There is also the Drug Free Zone mandatory legislation that a landowner may be asked to forfeit his/her property if drug activity occurs on a property located within 1000 ft of any school.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 PM

7,360 posts, read 7,557,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraddockArtist View Post
Off the top of my head ... The largest Youth Employment Program in the county, housing (stability) for youth out of the foster system, Agriculture, GED Programs, a Community Center, the first green roof in the region and a 1 million + partnership with Levi's seems like a nice start? :-)
plus the creation of an urban farm, over 2 years homicide free, several new businesses, the largest influx of new residents since who knows when, greatly increased use of the elks club....

yeah, not much at all

and i mean, i haven't even been paying that much attention for quite a while now. there's probably more that i don't know about.

some people on this forum won't think anything has been achieved in braddock until it becomes cranberry part 2.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:53 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,119,890 times
Just asking, what new businesses have came to Braddock? I really haven't heard about or seen any new businesses there.

Braddock doesn't have a pharmacy, bank, grocery store or even a place to eat or a pizza shop. And don't forget they lost a hospital. I don't see how they are surviving.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 PM

7,360 posts, read 7,557,229 times
they're not basic retail businesses, but fossil free fuel, a garage that converts cars to run on vegetable oil, opened in braddock a few years ago and is doing well. they had a couple of options and the mayor convinced them to open in braddock. there is also a stove restoration/custom furniture business that opened recently but i forget what it's called.

i don't think any local politician could have stopped the hospital from closing.

it is a fact that fetterman has drawn residents and businesses to braddock as well as starting/encouraging a lot of community-building programs. and he has brought a HUGE amount of funding into the community. is his work done? of course not. he's not magical. these things take time. what he's started may not be finished by him, it may not be finished at all, but he's clearly made a good faith effort to make braddock a better place and he really has made progress.

i wish we had as many people coming to wilkinsburg with the intention of improving the place! we could do some amazing things with the number of dedicated residents they have! i mean, we do have a good group of people like that here, but we could have a lot more with the kind of publicity fetterman generates.

Last edited by groar; 11-13-2010 at 09:52 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,907,351 times
Vandalism is OK if you are trying to make a point?

Old 11-14-2010, 02:29 AM

36,629 posts, read 57,952,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
And what are your suggestions for addressing the problems of a highly distressed community that has suffered 90% population loss? What would you do differently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh