Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
For a chiropractor, that equates to a population of people who have health insurance.
A lot of insurance companies don't cover chiropractic care because it's not strictly considered "medical care."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 05:47 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
scottfleisher,

Are you only interested in Pittsburgh's most affluent townships?

Pittsburgh has many wonderful middle/upper middle class townships too.
Hopes -- can you share these places?

It's funny, I hear all these nice things about Peters Township and South Hills and I dismiss them... I don't want to go there... if we indeed do go back I want to go back to Beaver County, or Butler County.... that's where I'm most comfortable.

I'm really thinking about a more "rural suburban" feel. (Of course I always feel that way when the copper choppers are hovering and the 'hood is at it's hoodiest....)

Old 07-12-2007, 05:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A lot of insurance companies don't cover chiropractic care because it's not strictly considered "medical care."
That's not necessarily true. Almost all insurance companies cover non-routine visits to a chiropractor. It's the routine care are restricted at times.

If you check out the websites for chiropractors in the area, almost all of them state they are part of the Highmark network and/or UPMC network (and others)

Those chiropractors wouldn't be part of those networks if the networks weren't paying chiropractors.

Check out the following chiropractor's website that lists all of the insurance companies accepted:

Family Chiropractic Centers - Insurance Providers (http://www.familychiropracticcenters.biz/insurance.html - broken link)

Old 07-12-2007, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,179 times
i live in mt. lebanon. the highschool is one of the best in the state. very safe. in fact people joke about mt. lebanon having a bubble over it to keep the upper middle and upper class in and the rest out. only 15 minutes from downtown pittsburgh. high taxes but cost of living is one of the cheapest in the entire country. very quaint and beautiful. good food. lots to do

Old 07-12-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

It's funny, I hear all these nice things about Peters Township and South Hills and I dismiss them... I don't want to go there... if we indeed do go back I want to go back to Beaver County, or Butler County.... that's where I'm most comfortable.

I'm really thinking about a more "rural suburban" feel. (Of course I always feel that way when the copper choppers are hovering and the 'hood is at it's hoodiest....)
How rural do you want to go? When I made that statement I was thinking more suburban. You really can't go wrong with a rural township if you're just trying to avoid copper choppers. (Heck, even Pittsburgh's city neighborhoods rarely have copper choppers!)

If you're looking for rural in Butler, consider outside of Saxonburg or Zelienople. Both are adorable little towns, and you can get affordable property in the outlying areas. My sister lives in an area called Prospect that's north of Zelienople. Her house is surrounded by farms and it's less than a mile walk to the lake at Moraine State Park.

I don't know anything about Beaver County. (Ask PittNurse for suggestions there.) From the sounds of it, Beaver is much more depressed than Butler. Butler is gaining lots of revenue from Canberry so Butler County's government is most likely not struggling the same as Beaver County. Plus, Westinghouse is moving to Butler too.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,209 times
Hi Scott,

I just came across your post.

Funny -- My wife are moving from San Francisco to Pittsburgh (Squirrel Hill) at the end of this month. We've sold our condo already. I'm sure we'll find a great house in a good neighborhood for less than half what we sold our place for here.

We decided to move for many of the same reasons you listed. In addition, kid #2 is on the way in October.

I'd be happy to give you more info. I did a lot of research before we made this decision. If you send me a private message and I'll send you my email address.

-B

Old 07-12-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbykonn View Post
in fact people joke about mt. lebanon having a bubble over it to keep the upper middle and upper class in and the rest out.
That's the type of disgusting attitude I'd want to avoid if I were moving to Pittsburgh.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
How rural do you want to go? When I made that statement I was thinking more suburban. You really can't go wrong with a rural township if you're just trying to avoid copper choppers. (Heck, even Pittsburgh's city neighborhoods rarely have copper choppers!)

If you're looking for rural in Butler, consider outside of Saxonburg or Zelienople. Both are adorable little towns, and you can get affordable property in the outlying areas. My sister lives in an area called Prospect that's north of Zelienople. Her house is surrounded by farms and it's less than a mile walk to the lake at Moraine State Park.

I don't know anything about Beaver County. (Ask PittNurse for suggestions there.) From the sounds of it, Beaver is much more depressed than Butler. Butler is gaining lots of revenue from Canberry so Butler County's government is most likely not struggling the same as Beaver County. Plus, Westinghouse is moving to Butler too.
I couldn't stand Zelie... spent too much time there in high school. (Graduated Seneca Valley 1977) I thought about Prospect. Also close to my favorite place on earth -- McConnells Mills.

I still dream about the little enclave just over the Butler-Cranberry/Beaver border called Bradford Park. You cross over Lovi Rd on Freedom, heading towards the valley and turn left on one of those little roads... eventually you'll end up on Conway Wallrose Rd...

A lot of those homes are about 50 years old or so on two acres plots of land. Also thought about going onto 989 and buying five or so acres and getting some horsies... like I need more critters... nine cats keep me busy. And building my dream house.

I'm still in the dreaming stage... we've also thought of going into a somewhat depressed area and taking over an old storefront and making that our home... something funky... I'd like to really start developing my quilting talents on art quilts.., maybe selling them.... maybe starting a new wave of an artistic pioneering....

Old 07-13-2007, 06:05 AM

75 posts, read 375,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

What about Union township in Washington County? It surrounds the quaint little town of Finleyville and it definately has that "rural suburban" feel. Its close enough to 51 (via Jeff. Hills) to get easy acess to the city. Also, it has a Giant Eagle right outside of Finleyville for convienient groceries.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:08 PM

25 posts, read 132,011 times
Default We're Back!

For those who were interested, we're back from Pittsburgh and here are our impressions:

Overall: It really does look as if the city is ready for a comeback. People are yearning for it, and we're hoping the time is right.

Specific Areas:

1. Mt. Lebanon: An idyllic village, much as noted. Unfortunately, it is probably a bit insular for us. It's a nice community, without a doubt.

2. Fox Chapel: Not as remote as Mt. Lebanon, but the houses (we saw) were a little newer than we like. Another nice community, but again, probably not for us.

3. Downtown: The downtown just isn't livable yet. I mean, obviously people live there, but it appears that we probably aren't up to that challenge just yet.

4. Shadyside: My favorite. Eclectic, diverse, and energetic. It's on the short list.

5. Squirrel Hill: My wife's favorite. Quiet, charming, and family friendly - without leaving the city. It's on the short list.

Right now, the idea of working in Shadyside and living in Squirrel Hill seems most appealing. There is a particular neighborhood called Murdoch Farms which is especially inviting. Does anyone have any details about this neighborhood specifically? Thanks again, everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh