U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:19 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfleisher View Post
For those who were interested, we're back from Pittsburgh and here are our impressions:

Overall: It really does look as if the city is ready for a comeback. People are yearning for it, and we're hoping the time is right.

Specific Areas:

1. Mt. Lebanon: An idyllic village, much as noted. Unfortunately, it is probably a bit insular for us. It's a nice community, without a doubt.

2. Fox Chapel: Not as remote as Mt. Lebanon, but the houses (we saw) were a little newer than we like. Another nice community, but again, probably not for us.

3. Downtown: The downtown just isn't livable yet. I mean, obviously people live there, but it appears that we probably aren't up to that challenge just yet.

4. Shadyside: My favorite. Eclectic, diverse, and energetic. It's on the short list.

5. Squirrel Hill: My wife's favorite. Quiet, charming, and family friendly - without leaving the city. It's on the short list.

Right now, the idea of working in Shadyside and living in Squirrel Hill seems most appealing. There is a particular neighborhood called Murdoch Farms which is especially inviting. Does anyone have any details about this neighborhood specifically? Thanks again, everybody!
You might give Point Breeze a look too. It borders both Squirrel Hill and Shadyside with the same overall quality of life that both offer, but at a slight discount. I don't know how much of a discount any more, though; I have noticed property values in PB have shot up significantly in the last 5 years. Still cheaper than Shadyside for sure, and it appears to still be a tick cheaper than Squirrel Hill.

If I'm not mistaken, Murdoch Farms is actually a part of Squirrel Hill, and is also sometimes referred to as "North of Forbes" as a way of denoting that this is the "ritzy" part of Squirrel Hill, whereas south of Forbes there tends to be a lot more student housing. If I'm correct about where Murdoch Farms is (the portion of Squirrel Hill north of Forbes Avenue and east of Murray), then it is basically the ritziest, most expensive part of the East End of Pittsburgh, and probably one of the ritziest and most expensive in all the city proper. It almost seems to be hidden away from the rest of the city and has some of the most stately and architecturally significant homes in the city. It would be one of my first choices if I had the means; and you better have LOTS of means to buy into that part of the city.

As for people living downtown.... it's really not that many. Yeah, there are a couple of residential high-rises downtown, but for the most part downtown is strictly business and it's mostly abandoned after 6pm. I wouldn't want to live there either.

I think there are some policy matters that need to be dealt with before Pittsburgh makes a comeback, especially in the area of fiscal policy. But the city is definitely ripe for a resurgence. I'm still watching from the sidelines and waiting for the right moment to get in. However, I may not wait; my wife and I are discussing the possibility of moving there after I'm done with grad school strictly on the basis of it being a place where there is a high quality of life and yet it's affordable enough that we can afford to start a family right away. If a resurgence takes off while we're there... well, bonus. Unfortunately, the Pittsburgh market for my chosen career field is not exactly thriving, whereas it's more than thriving here; so chances are, I'll end up staying put. We shall see...

Last edited by Drover; 07-16-2007 at 01:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 AM

15 posts, read 83,727 times
It seems like you did a lot of footwork while you were here. I have some thoughts about the places you looked at

Mt. Lebanon: - Very nice place but you have to be want to live in a "true" suburb.

Fox Chapel -There are a fair number of older home there. I just looked at one that was about 100 years old about a week ago. I like the "green" you get in that community and there is space between the homes. The problem is you need a fair amount of green to live there.

Downtown - It depends on what you need downtown. I grew up in NYC in Manhattan and I've lived downtown here in PGH. It will take time for there to be a community feel but it is coming along rather nicely. The cultural district is not like the rest of downtown. It stays busy until late at night because of the shows and restaurants. As a result it feels safe to take a late night walk. Also the crowds from the Pirates & Steelers games feed that area as well.

Shadyside/Squirrel Hill - Nice area but I have not found the neighbors to be too friendly as a whole. Hopefully you will have a better experience there.

Keep in mind Regent Square & Highland Park. Those are great neighborhoods. Friendly & diverse. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:01 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
I would not wait with bated breath for the 'comeback'. It has been predicted for years. Yes, people are ready for it. They were ready 20 yrs ago. But, it just doesn't seem to happen.

Overall: It really does look as if the city is ready for a comeback. People are yearning for it, and we're hoping the time is right.

lookin4hm says of downtown: It will take time for there to be a community feel but it is coming along rather nicely. Everything is supposedly going to happen 'in time'. If you need to make a living, NOW, as opposed to 'in time', you need to make darn sure it's possible to do so in Pittsburgh before committing to it.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,742,277 times
Comebacks take time when they involve something as large and complex as the economic hit that Pittsburgh took. Fortunately, with steel gone, the region moved on. However as noted before in this forum, the impact of 20 years ago still has some lingering effects that could not simply be changed like other cities.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
If you need to make a living, NOW, as opposed to 'in time', you need to make darn sure it's possible to do so in Pittsburgh before committing to it.
I stand by what I said.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 AM

25 posts, read 117,717 times
Default Mt. Lebo Commute

Hello All,

I appreciate that I'm getting diverse perspectives here. Attitudes seem to vary widely by community, lifestyle, occupation, etc.

I have another question:

How long is the commute from Mt. Lebo to Downtown and from Mt. Lebo to Shadyside? How much does it vary from rush hour (~7-10am and 4-7pm) to off-peak times (<7am or >7pm)?

Thanks again for all your help!

Best,
Scott

Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM

176 posts, read 683,312 times
To Downtown....

If you leave mt. lebo at 7am..30 min...

7:30 to 8:45 expect 1 hour..

I leave my house at 9:15 or 9:30 and it takes me 20 minutes...

Add another 15 minutes to shadyside from Town...

Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM

105 posts, read 318,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
If you need to make a living, NOW, as opposed to 'in time', you need to make darn sure it's possible to do so in Pittsburgh before committing to it.
Pittnurse70, you have sounded this and similar themes on many threads in this forum. I appreciate your role here in moderating some of the Pittsburgh-enthusiasm.

However, I wonder whether there is any place in the country (or world) with an economy so fantastic that someone need not investigate the job situation in his or her particular occupation/profession before moving there.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likepgh View Post
Pittnurse70, you have sounded this and similar themes on many threads in this forum. I appreciate your role here in moderating some of the Pittsburgh-enthusiasm.

However, I wonder whether there is any place in the country (or world) with an economy so fantastic that someone need not investigate the job situation in his or her particular occupation/profession before moving there.
Well, no, there isn't. I would not recommend doing so to anyone, especially if they have kids to support. I have sounded similar cautions on the Colorado/Denver forums. Unless you are independently wealthy (I am not) you should not move somewhere waiting for a "comback". It should work for you, now, not in twenty years, or even in five years. I used to work for a boss who liked to say "I don't have a crystal ball. I can't predict the future." I think that is true of all of us. Re: the Pittsburgh comeback, I have been hearing this stuff for 20-25 years of my adult life. Maybe it's different for someone who is only 25 yrs old, who hasn't been hearing talk about the comeback for so long. I truly doubt it will happen in my lifetime, and that is not meant to be sarcastic.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:38 PM

25 posts, read 117,717 times
Hello,

PittNurse:

I hope I'm not getting too personal, but do you currently live in Pittsburgh, or did you live there previously and decide to move on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or