U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,944 times

Advertisements

We are possibly relocating to Pittsburgh as well. My husband and I both grew up in rural PA and have traveled and moved all over the US. We would like to have the best of both worlds as in owning a few acres or a small farmette and still have a reasonable commute to downtown. Are there areas in which this is possible?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 03:44 PM

12,128 posts, read 14,309,160 times
It would help if you define "reasonable commute"! Your idea might be WAY different than mine...

They are many options in Westmoreland County.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,944 times
well, right now we are spoiled with a 10 min. commute. We were hoping to do not much more than 30 min. I have read other posts though that describe a good commute as being "only" 40 min.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:39 PM

844 posts, read 714,125 times
You may have some success with Indiana Township which is north. But remember the taxes. We can get downtown (in non-rush hour traffic) in about 25 minutes. I work in South Side and my commute is 45-60 minutes. Or a bit futher away is Tarentum which has alot of farm area.

Last edited by hinsey86; 07-09-2007 at 07:41 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 07:47 PM

70,068 posts, read 60,674,394 times
Beaver County has some rural-ish areas, e.g. Chippewa Twp, Big Beaver, South Beaver, Darlington, etc. Would take up to an hour from some of those places to downtown, probably 45 min from Chippewa. Chippewa is actually more suburban than rural, but you might be able to get a pretty good sized spread there.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 PM

522 posts, read 1,199,964 times
As far as "farmettes" go, you'd about have to get more than a half-hour away from the city to find that. We're a pretty small city here, but not THAT small. Having said that, places like Fox Chapel have several 30 acre home sites and is only 15 minutes away from the city, but I shutter to think what you'd pay to get it (we're into the TENS of millions there). A good compromise (a few acres, relatively close) might be these areas...

Hampton, Indiana, Gibsonia, Mars, Cranberry, Moon, North Fayette, Thornburg, Upper St. Clair, Bethel Park, McMurray, North Strabane, Monoreville, Murrysville, Plum.

Come to think of it, a lot of those places are pretty expensive too. I don't know what you'd be looking to spend, but Beaver or Washington Counties might be your best bet if keeping costs down is a high priority...but then you're into an hour's drive too! Central-Northern Butler County starts to get pretty rural pretty quick too...maybe somewhere like Sarver would be a good option.

Captain

Last edited by CaptainObvious; 07-09-2007 at 09:19 PM..

Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 PM

15 posts, read 70,879 times
I want the same thing but it is not easy. We are currently looking for a farmette experience that has a progressive leaning and is not too pricey. Its not easy. We are looking in Fox Chapel and Highland Park. We are waiting to be charmed. If you do move here I suggest you get a temporary apartment here to get a better sense of the neighborhoods. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 PM

44 posts, read 106,265 times
You might look at Penn or Hempfield Townships in Westmoreland County. Particularly around the Irwin Turnpike entrance. Off peak travel time to downtown is less than 1/2 hour. During peak you will have to deal with the Squirrle Hill Tubes

Old 07-16-2007, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,171 times
Pittsburgh is a good place for what you want, it seems like we have a lot of communities like that around here. Beaver County had a lot to offer and even some of Allegheny County towards the west side of the airport. You might also want to check into adjoining counties in West Virginia and Ohio, the commute would be slightly longer, but the property and taxes are reasonable and it isn't as far from "Dahntahn" as you would think...

Old 07-16-2007, 01:13 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,553,628 times
Reserve Township is surprisingly rural for being right next to the city. There are farms in Reserve with views of the skyscrapers in the city. Your commute would definitely be 10 minutes if you found something in Reserve. Here's a link about Reserve: RESERVE TOWNSHIP - Community** As stated, it's literally right next to the city (up on a hill) and is a combination of rural, urban and suburban all within the same district. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but you can't get rural closer to the city than looking in Reserve Township. If you look at a map, Reserve extends from the edge of Troy Hill all the way back past St. Mary's cemetary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh