Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,820 times

Advertisements

Hello to all . This is my first post and I am a little concerned about the City of Pittsburgh. A little background on me. I grew up in Chicago and lived there in the 90's when the city averaged over 900 murders a year . Yes , that is a true statement . So I am used to living in a crime ridden city, however I moved from there not long ago and I will be moving my family to Pittsburgh next summer and am quite stunned at all the violence I see and read about in the City Of Pittsburgh. Supposedly, Pittsburgh has low crime, thats what people say, however every time I read the local papers someone is getting shot or killed . Is this a recent phenomenon ? I have a feeling that most of the crime is probably centered in certain areas and you just avoid them. I would appreciate honest feedback. I know Pittsburgh has had less than 100 murders this year but for its size that is pretty high. Thanks for all your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 03:26 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
There are some areas of Pittsburgh with a lot of violent crime. There are some areas of Pittsburgh with virtually no violent crime. If you are not sleeping with someone's lover, involved in the drug trade, or randomly starting fights, you will not be murdered. I promise.

It's a lot like the rest of the entire world in that way.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:08 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
No, it's not out of control, but like any big city there is a significant crime element. There are certain neighborhoods that are known for crime (Homewood, the Hill District, Mt. Oliver, Lincoln-Lemington), while most everything else is reasonably quiet except for a possible disturbance every now and then.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:52 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Add North Side to the list ,too. The North Side has had a negative rep for years now with all the crime there, and I don't think that neighborhood will ever change, either.
I am also concerned about the high number of homicides in the city of Pittsburgh.But like Steindle said ^ if you are not in the drug trade or involved in a fatal attraction,then you should have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:02 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
The North Side has a negative rep, but it is wrong to categorize the whole North Side as having crime. There are many North Side neighborhoods (Spring Hill, Fineview, War Streets, Deutschtown, Allegheny West) that do not have crime problems. Most of the crime on the North Side is in the areas above the War Streets and Calbride Place/ parts of Manchester.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:22 PM

457 posts, read 1,279,806 times
As an out of towner, Pittsburgh has bad areas and good areas. You learn where not to go. I would say that over the last year shootings have increased dramatically.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:28 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteel View Post
This is my first post and I am a little concerned about the City of Pittsburgh. A little background on me. I grew up in Chicago and lived there in the 90's when the city averaged over 900 murders a year . Yes , that is a true statement . So I am used to living in a crime ridden city, however I moved from there not long ago and I will be moving my family to Pittsburgh next summer and am quite stunned at all the violence I see and read about in the City Of Pittsburgh. Supposedly, Pittsburgh has low crime, thats what people say, however every time I read the local papers someone is getting shot or killed . Is this a recent phenomenon ? I have a feeling that most of the crime is probably centered in certain areas and you just avoid them. I would appreciate honest feedback. I know Pittsburgh has had less than 100 murders this year but for its size that is pretty high. Thanks for all your input.
Pittsburgh is a city and therefore it will have murders. The vast majority of our murders are concentrated in certain African-American neighborhoods and are between people who have beef with one another. Stay out of those neighborhoods and away from the types of people who engage in such things and you will have very little to worry about in the city limits when it comes to violent crime.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
There are certain neighborhoods that are known for crime (Homewood, the Hill District, Mt. Oliver, Lincoln-Lemington),
Here's the thing about the ghetto: I don't feel unsafe in most of the ghettos in Pittsburgh because they are pretty tame compared to other city's ghettos. Also, the people who are getting shot there are getting shot for a reason.

I have never once had my "danger radar" go off in the black 'hoods around the 'Burgh. But, I have had my "danger radar" go off in low-class and slimy white areas (like Mt. Oliver and Mckees Rocks). They might not be as violent as Homewood, but it is sketchy and I think something is more likely to happen to an innocent bystander in a place like that.

But, it's not a good idea to go strolling down Center and Kirkpatrick in the Hill at 2 AM where the junkies hang out either. Just use common sense.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
The North Side has a negative rep, but it is wrong to categorize the whole North Side as having crime. There are many North Side neighborhoods (Spring Hill, Fineview, War Streets, Deutschtown, Allegheny West) that do not have crime problems. Most of the crime on the North Side is in the areas above the War Streets and Calbride Place/ parts of Manchester.
The War Streets doesn't have crime? Bull****. Crime spills into there all of the time from the neighboring areas. The North Side is really hit or miss. There are some good streets and then a lot of bad ones.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:42 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Just stay out of trouble and you'll be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh