Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,456,700 times

Advertisements

When the Browns and Colts both left their cities, it sent a shock to all franchises. How could that happen when all the games were sellouts? Ah, money talks. Even the Rooneys were talking about moving until they got a new stadium, and it only took 16 months to do it.

Screw the NFL, I'm putting my money in Little League.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,892,942 times
The NFL needs to ban domes and start playing Super Bowls in cold weather cities. Also a return to rules that don't allow a team to throw the ball around like arena football would be nice, for people like me who prefer low scoring defensive wars.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 PM

540 posts, read 864,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
I'll give the opinion of a Ravens fan, even though you didn't ask..

I was young when the Colts left, but people were extremely bitter about it for many years. The Redskins marketed the area heavily to the disgust of everyone.. Despite proximity, Baltimore has its own culture very different than that of DC.

Some people thought the Browns coming was a bit weird and it wouldn't be the same as when the colts were there or if we had gotten a new expansion, and others were excited just to get a team.. The youngest generation didn't care either way, because they had grown up without football being part of their Sundays.

However, any concern about the Ravens just being the "old browns" faded pretty quickly. Turnover in the NFL is high, and most of the old Browns were gone before anyone knew it. Billick took over, and soon the team was bought by Steve Bisciotti, a Baltimore native, a self-made billionaire who was likeable, already known by many, and a local at heart..

So, had you asked in 97, and maybe even after the superbowl win, you may have had some naysayers in Baltimore, but in what seems like a short time, the team is ours.. We have our stadium, our owner, our coach, our quarterback. After Stover getting shown the door, the only remaining tie to Cleveland is Ozzie Newsome and he has done such wonderful things and become so well endeared locally that this is easily overlooked. The flags are flying and the town is bleeding black and purple..
This is what I don't get. I'm glad Baltimore got a team back (much as I root against them), especially after theirs was stolen out from under them. But as a fan, how can you support a team that is also stolen? I don't specifically mean you, as you said you were young when the Colts moved, but I don't see how an established Colts fan could support a team they got that way. I guess having a new owner helps, since he wasn't the greedy jerk who moved them. But I think I'd still have trouble cheering for them.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 AM

408 posts, read 988,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
This is what I don't get. I'm glad Baltimore got a team back (much as I root against them), especially after theirs was stolen out from under them. But as a fan, how can you support a team that is also stolen? I don't specifically mean you, as you said you were young when the Colts moved, but I don't see how an established Colts fan could support a team they got that way. I guess having a new owner helps, since he wasn't the greedy jerk who moved them. But I think I'd still have trouble cheering for them.
I guess I never really got the whole "stolen" argument. The NFL is an entertainment business, not a birthright. Yeah, I'd be upset if the Ravens left, and if some other team came into town it would be weird for a while, but I am sure enough brats, beers, and community cheers would make everything ok again..

Of course, I haven't been bred into the rabid multi-generational fanaticism that your average Steeler fan has been, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh