U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 AM

13 posts, read 22,019 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently rent in the Upper St. Clair/Mt. Lebo area and really love it. It's close enough to the city, but far enough away that I can have a rural surrounding. I live 2 miles from my office in Greentree (spoiled, I know!) which is great and am looking into buying a house in the near future. I like the Lebo/USC area but would like to start researching the North Hills because I've heard some good things as far as house size, yard-size, more bang for your buck type homes. My boyfriend is looking into a program for school in Latrobe so someplace in between would be perfect to rent for about a year or so. From researching threads, chat boards, online information I've heard the East End neighborhoods to have some issues with drugs, robberies, and other crimes but I've never been there, or met someone there so I am not going to form an opinion just yet-bad things can happen in any town and it can still be a great place! I guess you could say I grew up in a sheltered, "suburbia USA" town in West Virginia outside of Charleston so I'm used to the feel of developed neighborhoods, small towns, etc. So far I love Pittsburgh and the older homes and all of that but we will need a place to rent for the two of us before I jump into a mortgage! Ideally, I would love a townhouse seeing as we have 2 cars (his is brand new) and a bike. Somewhere safe of course, with a rural-feel to it. With two incomes hopefully we can manage a 1-2 bedroom in a newer complex, or townhouse. Close to grocery stores, gyms, shopping is always a plus but a short drive away is no problem. The biggest concern is safety and obviously convenient for me to get to the Greentree area and him to get to Latrobe (give or take from the absolute halfway point) Pets allowed would be added as we don't have any, but am longing for! Suggestions?? Thanks in advance for the help!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Default seriously?!

No help at all?! Maybe you Pittsburghers aren't so helpful after all.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 PM

9,918 posts, read 21,743,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newburgher View Post
No help at all?! Maybe you Pittsburghers aren't so helpful after all.
Why do people always think it's a good idea to tell off the people who might try to help them?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,339,698 times
The problem with you working in Green Tree is the traffic congestion that you will have to deal with on the Parkway East just before the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and before the Fort Pitt Tunnels going westbound in the morning and eastbound in the evening, which can be upwards of 45 minutes to an hour on a good day and an hour and a half on a bad day. At least the commute to Latrobe won't be as bad for your boyfriend, it's going to be the commute to Green Tree that's going to be the issue if you have to leave in the morning. Even though the Monroeville or Murrysville areas is within the halfway point, you're going to have to deal with traffic congestion every day. It might be wise if you choose to live elsewhere, my suggestion would be in the Gibsonia area in the North Hills, that way you could get to Green Tree in 40 minutes via Route 910 and I-79 and not worry about traffic congestion and your boyfriend could get to Latrobe via the PA Turnpike to Route 22 or Route 30 in about an hour. It won't be the absolute halfway point but it'll be more convenient than living in Monroeville or Murrysville and not worry about traffic congestion every day. It'll also be very safe and you'll be near major shopping and recreational opportunities such as Ross Park Mall and North Park.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
The problem with you working in Green Tree is the traffic congestion that you will have to deal with on the Parkway East just before the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and before the Fort Pitt Tunnels going westbound in the morning and eastbound in the evening, which can be upwards of 45 minutes to an hour on a good day and an hour and a half on a bad day. At least the commute to Latrobe won't be as bad for your boyfriend, it's going to be the commute to Green Tree that's going to be the issue if you have to leave in the morning. Even though the Monroeville or Murrysville areas is within the halfway point, you're going to have to deal with traffic congestion every day. It might be wise if you choose to live elsewhere, my suggestion would be in the Gibsonia area in the North Hills, that way you could get to Green Tree in 40 minutes via Route 910 and I-79 and not worry about traffic congestion and your boyfriend could get to Latrobe via the PA Turnpike to Route 22 or Route 30 in about an hour. It won't be the absolute halfway point but it'll be more convenient than living in Monroeville or Murrysville and not worry about traffic congestion every day. It'll also be very safe and you'll be near major shopping and recreational opportunities such as Ross Park Mall and North Park.
Thank you! I was leaning towards dealing with the commute for the both of us. I really would like to continue researching the area for a potential home and he will only be in school for 1-2 years so it's nothing permanent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or