Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned upthread, I took the bus yesterday to avoid driving in the messy afternoon commute. It took two hours for the bus to get from CMU to downtown, and I even got off at the Mercy Hospital stop on 5th and walked the rest of the way to the Steel Plaza T-Station. It was awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,178 times
in my 20 years of driving ive had snow tires on every car ive owned. cost you up front but the tires will last you at least a few seasons. haha ive had snow tires tht outlasted some of the cars. i change them over in nov and change them in march.
people that dont know how to drive or have bald tires are the problem.
LEARN HOW TO DRIVE, GET BETTER TIRES OR STAY THE **** HOME

Old 01-13-2011, 04:43 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Interesting comments about driving. I am one of those "old lady" drivers in the snow (and I'm only 31). I did get new tires last month, but they are all season...not "snow" tires. I don't have the money to buy multiple sets of tires. Just these two cost me $175! I blame it on rim sizes. I have 16" rims (stock rims btw). For years I had cars with 14" rims and I never paid so much for tires!

Anyway...

I don't go 14 mph in the snow, but I try to keep it under 30 mph. Top speed...even when the road is clear is 40 mph. If you don't like it, then you can pass me! I think going super slow is dangerous to others around you in that you can't make people brake in back of you in bad road conditions.

I don't drive slow because I'm afraid....but because I'm cautious. And I would rather NOT total my car right now! As for taking the bus, not an option in my case. I live in Allegheny county and work in Washington county. Clairton is one of those places that lost just about all of their bus service, so driving it is! Also I've been in 2 major car accidents (one landed me in the hospital for 5 weeks). Ironically, neither of them were my fault (the one where I was hospitalized...the guy coming the opposite direction came over a median and hit me....it was so random, and I never saw it coming!). However I remember all too well what its like to be in a crashing car. It's not fun...and I would rather not repeat it if I can help it.

Hey, I may go slow, but it's faster than walking. My goal is to get to my destination in one piece. I can't speak for anyone else!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
There's a difference, Shona, between "slow" and "super slow". The latter is what I experienced a lot of while driving on Tuesday, and that really irked me. If you're going to put on your hazard lights and drive 15 miles per hour on roads that are merely slushy, then STAY HOME or take MASS TRANSIT!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Raw KDKA video of an icy street in Beechview yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJgm5UaIcp4

I live a couple of blocks away on a corner, and at least once a winter I get a car in my side yard in icy conditions. Not so far this year, knock on formica desktop.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Wow, scary video. Just another reason why off-street parking is a must for me.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
^ saw 15 seconds of that video on the Weather Channel this morning.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,548 times
I saw the video last night on the newscast. The one driver was "fliying" down the hill. Either he was humming when he crested the hill and couldn't stop or hit the gas by mistake when he started sliding. Scary...unless you have studs or chains, nothing was helping you on that street yesterday morning.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
^ those conditions mean "stay home"!
Driving in snow doesn't bother me in the least but freezing drizzle/icy conditions is when I call off.
It would cost me more in damage ( and possible injury) than my wages would pay me to make it to work.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
It was just SO icy yesterday morning! I slipped, fell, and got hurt in the parking lot of my workplace. Why on Earth doesn't the Village at Eastside SALT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh