Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:46 AM

354 posts, read 475,573 times

Advertisements

You should just be aware that Highland Park, is near both some good and bad areas. Homewood is nearby (although geographically detached), and is a dangerous part of town. East Liberty is considered to be transitioning upward, but that of course means it hasn't been great in the past. Larimer could follow suit, but hasn't yet. You wouldn't have much issue relating to that, but you should know they are there. That being said, I find Highland Park to be great and I, personally, wouldn't hesitate to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 AM

10 posts, read 19,204 times
thanks for your opinions. The area definitely sounds interesting. We are also very interested in the proximity to East Liberty, Wholefoods, Borders and the new Target - as well as the close-by Park.
Schools are not an issue yet, the kids are 1 and 3...

Old 12-08-2010, 04:47 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
By the way, I've been here long enough (over 17 years now) to remember when proximity to the Waterworks Mall would have been a selling point for Highland Park, and proximity to East Liberty would be considered an unalloyed negative.

Anyway, last I knew parents were pretty happy with Fulton, the local PreK-5. So you might have a long time indeed before schools would be a notable issue.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 AM

52 posts, read 89,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisswoman View Post
Dear All,

we need some advice. We will be moving from Europe to Pittsburgh in March and have looked at the new built houses on N. Euclid in Highland Park. We are now wondering if this is an area to move to. The houses are great! Could you tell us a little about the neighborhood, we have two small kids, so close to the Park sounds great.

But what about safety, shopping possibilities, etc.?

thanks!
Are these the houses you've had in mind?

726 North Euclid Avenue, Pittsburgh PA - Trulia

I remember being very impressed by these when I saw them, but as others have mentioned, the neighborhood is really probably E. Liberty. In fact, the developer has a site discussing how it fits into that area. Reality is it's close to both that and HP, but even the developer makes the connection to EL:

East Liberty Post

If at all possible, you should try to see the homes in person to get a sense of the project and how they fit into the neighborhood -- I personally think it's commendable that the developer tried to make them green-friendly and still fit in to the original character of the neighborhood. Many on the block have been renovated or built nearly from scratch (I can't tell), but as others will point out, many other homes in that stretch are sorely in need of repair.

Awhile back one of my favorite blogs profiled a couple who bought there, and they seem thrilled. They acknowledge that the place may not be for everyone, but see what you think:

Chuck and Julia’s Home in East Liberty «
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh