Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:16 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times

Advertisements

In lieu of spending Christmas alone this year I was just wondering if anybody knew of any restaurants that are particularly noted in the area for their Holiday dinners? Any good nightlife activity? Annual events? I've consciously decided I don't wish to go "home" this Christmas due to a long-held conflict with a close relative due to his inability to accept a facet of my life, but everyone else I know here is a fellow transplant and will be gone. I was hoping to be working on that day instead so I could make some much-needed money and keep my mind off of things, but me being "overqualified" for Pittsburgh's apparently "high school graduates only need apply" employers still has me unemployed (although I'm hopeful I may soon be delivering edible fruit arrangements).

To those of you who don't have families, what do you usually do to pass Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:56 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,579,600 times
Speaking of your job situation, have you tried retail or something else like a front desk job at a hotel? You seem like an approachable person in public so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a job. As for Christmas, I still live with my parents (mind you I'm 24 and a college student) so I can't really speak for you personally.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,891,689 times
Usually the soup kitchens need volunteers... may be a good networking opportunity for jobs too.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,923,347 times
Please reconsider. Being alone and away from home on Christmas is likely to be terribly lonely. Eating a nice dinner alone in a restaurant on Christmas? That sounds awful. I know that your parents will be heart broken thinking of you all alone on Christmas. Don't let one relative keep you from being with your family on Christmas. He doesn't have to accept you, just as you don't have to accept him. But that doesn't mean that you let him keep you away from your own family on Christmas!

I agree with DaBurgh, begin doing some kind of volunteer work. It's great for networking and for making friends with like minded people. But go home for Christmas!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,168,589 times
I think I will be out of town on that day, but if I am in town I will get ahold of you. We can go get trashed or something.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
Downtown has some great activities, including free carriage rides.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Speaking of your job situation, have you tried retail or something else like a front desk job at a hotel? You seem like an approachable person in public so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a job. As for Christmas, I still live with my parents (mind you I'm 24 and a college student) so I can't really speak for you personally.
Thanks for the recommendations. I have applied for positions in retail, hospitality, and food services, but thus far no credible bites, really, despite my five-and-a-half years of sales/retail experience, and I refuse to "dumb down" my resume just because so many employers in Pittsburgh seem to be averse towards hiring college graduates or because my most recent salary was higher than what most here would offer. I had a promising interview on Friday with a beautiful hotel in the Cultural District for a night auditor position, but I figure if I haven't heard back by now about a second interview then they probably went in a different direction since they were conducting all of their interviews that day and then making a decision on who to call back. I'm calling back today about a position that sounds mundane, pays $12/hr., and is way out in the boonies of Robinson Twp., but at this point if they are "very interested" in me and as I see my bank account being drained I don't have many other options. I also have an interview tomorrow morning to deliver edible fruit arrangements here in the city. Ironically most of my promising leads are in the suburbs, which totally negates my initial plans to live in the city to minimize driving.

I just signed someone else onto my VA lease yesterday, and it ended up costing me much more than I had anticipated to do so. I get my last paycheck from my former position this Friday, and I have to stretch that until something here actually opens up.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Please reconsider. Being alone and away from home on Christmas is likely to be terribly lonely. Eating a nice dinner alone in a restaurant on Christmas? That sounds awful. I know that your parents will be heart broken thinking of you all alone on Christmas. Don't let one relative keep you from being with your family on Christmas. He doesn't have to accept you, just as you don't have to accept him. But that doesn't mean that you let him keep you away from your own family on Christmas!

I agree with DaBurgh, begin doing some kind of volunteer work. It's great for networking and for making friends with like minded people. But go home for Christmas!
I do plan to volunteer, as that is something I always love to do. I'm not going home for Christmas, though. This relative and I had a huge spat when I was moving here due to a continued grudge against me for my "lifestyle choice" jipping him out of grandkids (Yep, because I CHOSE a "lifestyle" that would damn me to a living hell the rest of my life, right?). If after six years this person STILL can't get over his narrow-minded beliefs about a certain facet of my life, then I'm removing myself from the lives of my family (this is why I personally can't "mesh" well around conservative-minded people). I plan to adopt in the future, and my future children will have no contact with that part of my family. It's tragic, really, because this will be the second generation in a row in my immediate family that becomes estranged from the prior generation due to stubbornness.

I'm not worried about loneliness. I love the city, and she loves me back. That's good enough for me.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I think I will be out of town on that day, but if I am in town I will get ahold of you. We can go get trashed or something.
Haha. Thanks. That does sound tempting, although I must warn you I'm very much a lightweight. Just one "Sex on the Beach" from 5801 in Shadyside a few weekends ago had me ready to take my shirt off and sing on top of the bar! Thankfully my friends lived within walking distance, as I wouldn't want to play "bumper cars" with my Mazda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Downtown has some great activities, including free carriage rides.
Thanks for the heads-up. FREE is right up my alley! A carriage ride would be lovely (assuming the wind chill factor here EVER exceeds ten degrees!) LOL!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 AM

747 posts, read 1,225,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I have applied for positions in retail, hospitality, and food services, but thus far no credible bites, really, despite my five-and-a-half years of sales/retail experience, and I refuse to "dumb down" my resume just because so many employers in Pittsburgh seem to be averse towards hiring college graduates or because my most recent salary was higher than what most here would offer. I had a promising interview on Friday with a beautiful hotel in the Cultural District for a night auditor position, but I figure if I haven't heard back by now about a second interview then they probably went in a different direction since they were conducting all of their interviews that day and then making a decision on who to call back. I'm calling back today about a position that sounds mundane, pays $12/hr., and is way out in the boonies of Robinson Twp., but at this point if they are "very interested" in me and as I see my bank account being drained I don't have many other options. I also have an interview tomorrow morning to deliver edible fruit arrangements here in the city. Ironically most of my promising leads are in the suburbs, which totally negates my initial plans to live in the city to minimize driving.

I just signed someone else onto my VA lease yesterday, and it ended up costing me much more than I had anticipated to do so. I get my last paycheck from my former position this Friday, and I have to stretch that until something here actually opens up.

BNY Mellon, PNC, and Westinghouse has positions available. Did you apply for the larger corporations? Also there is a jobs center in the former Alcoa headquarters building (Regional Enterprise Tower) that can match you with a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh