Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I'm just so happy right now I could urinate a rainbow!
Snort! (Iced tea on monitor).

Congratulations, Paul. Why don't you start practicing by telling us more about why we should order an edible arrangement from Edible Arrangements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
Well that's good news... I rather like edible arrangements. Enjoy learning how to REALLY navigate Pittsburgh's crazy roads.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
That other driver is going to be really confused when everyone at his deliveries keeps trying to talk to him about Reston, VA.

But seriously, congrats!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM

355 posts, read 818,593 times
Congrats!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:01 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Congrats RR! I was following your threads about moving in the NoVa forum. Glad to hear that you have a job that will make you happy and make your bills.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:05 AM

191 posts, read 601,991 times
Congrats... I know you've been stressing about it. Be safe out there

Old 12-10-2010, 12:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
You are one positive guy!!!
My blood type is "B Positive" for a reason I suppose. Normally I'm an idealist. Much of 2010 in NoVA was an aberration from the norm for me, and I fell into a severe depression. Now I'm back to being chipper again. I think my enthusiasm for the position is what really put me over the top as far as being selected as a candidate was concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Awesome! I hope it works out well for you!
Thanks! I'm sure it will. It feels wonderful to finally NOT have someone grill me about being "overqualified".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Congratulations! :-)
Thanks! Hope you won't be "Sorry" to have moved back here forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Snort! (Iced tea on monitor).

Congratulations, Paul. Why don't you start practicing by telling us more about why we should order an edible arrangement from Edible Arrangements.
How about "cuz I said so, and I'm a domineering alpha male, so there?!" LOL! Kidding!

Without violating the TOS of this forum through blatant advertising I'll just say that if you want to guarantee a smile being firmly planted upon someone's face, then there's no better way to do so than to give the gift of healthy food with a pleasant aroma, delectable flavor, and a tasteful (pun intended) arrangement. Many of the baskets available can have the fruit dipped in chocolate, which releases endorphins when consumed and can be just the trick to help someone to feel a bit perkier when they are enduring personal hardship or bereavement.

I'll also deliver it shirtless in July if you ask nicely! Maybe even with just a Santa hat and my Santa boxers on in December? Kidding again (or am I?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Well that's good news... I rather like edible arrangements. Enjoy learning how to REALLY navigate Pittsburgh's crazy roads.
I'm already looking forward to it. Some people may scoff at the pricing, but these arrangements really do have a desirable and very positive effect upon their recipients. We received one from the Scranton, PA location from close family friends when my maternal grandmother passed away around Christmas 2008, and we had it as the centerpiece on our dining room table for guests to pick at and/or marvel at as they came over after the funeral to share their condolences, memories, and to enjoy some camaraderie with some great comfort food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That other driver is going to be really confused when everyone at his deliveries keeps trying to talk to him about Reston, VA.

But seriously, congrats!
Haha! I can already imagine! I'd prefer nobody order from this forum specifically hoping to meet me and *** up a storm because I want to be "in-and-out" in a hurry, at least until I can build up a better level of trust with the owners/managers for being timely, responsible, and reliable. Lingering to socialize while other recipients are awaiting their treats wouldn't make a good impression upon them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Congrats!
Thanks! Congratulations with your own endeavor in the Marcellus industry locally. I saw a drilling company is building a new office building in Washington County, if I'm not mistaken. That's good news for the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Congrats RR! I was following your threads about moving in the NoVa forum. Glad to hear that you have a job that will make you happy and make your bills.
A job that will (hopefully) will pay my bills! LOL! I'm taking a gamble here, but then again with no prior delivery experience they, too, are taking a gamble on me. I want to ensure we will be sound and mutually beneficial investments. I'm in a city that makes me happy and will start a job on Monday that will make me happy. Just have one last trip to NoVA to drop off the keys to my old place for my replacement tenant, and I'm good to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThaGrind View Post
Congrats... I know you've been stressing about it. Be safe out there
Thanks so much. Stressed is an understatement. I was fairly confident something would pull through for me, though, given my extraverted personality and youthful idealism, and as if right on cue just after accepting this position I checked the voicemail on my cell phone and realized I could have arranged another interview for next week. There are jobs out there for those willing to work and willing to go the extra mile to impress employers, even despite this Great Recession we've been enduring forever. Today I went to the new location briefly to pick up my uniform and to meet everyone in a "lower-pressure" aura. A husband and wife, who appear to each be around 60 or so, are the owners of this location, and their daughter and son-in-law are the managers. The mother said she was most impressed by the message I included in my e-mail application indicating my familiarity and affinity with the product line and a desire to hit the ground running with their new venture. I was also up-front and honest, candidly admitting I had one speeding ticket on my record in VA.

My only concern is that they kept referencing a "truck". I was under the impression drivers drove a utility/cargo van around to make their deliveries, as that's been the case with every other location I've had experience with. I hope I'll be driving a cargo van and NOT a "truck". I don't have a CDL!

P.S. The store can't accept orders until Tuesday. I was there for roughly a half-hour today to pick up my uniform and share some chit-chat and idle banter with a few who were there, including the one owner and the one manager, and the phone rang three times in just that time with the owner having to regretfully say that they couldn't accept orders until their computer systems were up and running. The store just got its sign installed, and they've passed all necessary city inspections and red tape hurdles. Monday will be corporate-oriented training. Tuesday we're ready to rock 'n roll! There will undoubtedly be some kinks to work out for the first few days, so please if you are planning to place an order Tuesday to try the place out do not be overly-judgmental or critical, as I'm sure things will be much smoother in our second week.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:01 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Thanks! I don't care if people will think I'm "nuts" for making such a drastic career shift. Life is too short to be unhappy living the life others would "expect" you to lead based upon societal norms. I could help them balance the books, too, with my accounting background. It sounds like overtime would be welcomed (and potentially a LOT of overtime), so if that's the case in a few weeks I'll be back to fiscal solvency.

I'm in tears right now. Everything has come together for me in just two weeks. Now I just have to call off my interview on Tuesday and cancel plans with the mortgage position.
Congratulations! You should have plenty of work for the next few weeks and lots of Happy Holidays tips too! I have no doubt that this month they will definitely need two drivers!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 PM

RR, prior to Tuesday you might want to get one of those large, back support, belts like the UPS men and women wear. Those bouquets are VERY heavy. Fruit weighs a ton. Your back will take a beating. Get a belt like this one: New Mueller Back Support Brace Belt Lifting Black 4581 on eBay! Perhaps the company provides them for drivers.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks! This thread in and of itself may be considered "off-topic" to Yac, but it's Pittsburgh-related, and I'm Pittsburgh-related, so until my nerves calm down I'm going to be bouncing off the walls! People in NoVA thought I was crazy.
True, but that had nothing to do with where you worked. <JK>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh