Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Would You Like to Meet?
Dave & Buster's at The Waterfront 1 20.00%
Penn Brewery in the North Side 2 40.00%
Church Brew Works in Lower Lawrenceville 2 40.00%
Cheesecake Factory in South Side Works 0 0%
Primanti Brothers in The Strip District 0 0%
Wholey's in The Strip District 1 20.00%
Mineo's Pizzeria in Squirrel Hill 1 20.00%
BRGR in East Liberty 0 0%
Shiloh Grill in Mount Washington 1 20.00%
Harris Grill in Shadyside 0 0%
Pleasure Bar in Bloomfield 0 0%
Hard Rock Cafe in Station Square 0 0%
Pamela's (Please Specify Which Location if Chosen) 0 0%
Other (Please Specify Below) 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:49 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,344,744 times

Advertisements

Hello, fellow Greater Pittsburghers in Paradise! Now that I'm settling into my new digs here in the Steel City I'd like to solidify plans for our impending meet-and-greet. This will be the first of two threads I'll be posting where you can weigh in on varying options. The purpose of this particular thread is to select a venue to host us. I know we're scattered all across the metro area, but I feel as if a venue in/near the city proper would be the most centralized location for the greatest number of us. Please vote for as many options as you'd wish.

P.S. In order to keep the results "fair" the votes will be public to prevent people from outside the area who don't plan to attend from unfairly skewing the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 04:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,842,215 times
I'll vote for somewhere downtown or in the Strip District, so I can get there by bus. I'm open to lots of different kinds of places.

Market Square could be nice. Here's the Original Oyster House menu: http://www.originaloysterhousepittsb...%20Frames.html And didn't someone (Brian?) mention a gastropub there, and maybe a bistro?

There's a gastropub someone here mentioned last month that's in Friendship, the Sharp Edge on Friendship Avenue. The menu sounds pretty good and it's not all that pricey. http://www.sharpedgebeer.com/BeerEmporium_dinner.htm (broken link)

If someone wants to eat really good fish, the Penn Avenue Fish Market has a new downtown location. But it's pricey. http://www.pennavefishcompany.com/menu/penn_ave_dinner_menu.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by jay5835; 12-10-2010 at 05:09 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I'll vote for somewhere downtown or in the Strip District, so I can get there by bus. I'm open to lots of different kinds of places, though. Market Square could be nice. Didn't someone (Brian?) mention a gastropub there, and maybe a bistro, and is there something Mexican?
I'm sure my poll options will garner booing and hissing from many, but please bear in mind I'm brand new to the city and haven't explored many dining options yet. I was trying to think of someplace Downtown myself to include in the list but was drawing a blank. I'm sure BrianTH could name-drop the gastropub. Cheap eats would be good for me, too (just sayin!)

If anybody needs a ride if a non-transit-accessible place is chosen I'd be more than happy to chauffeur. I can deliver fruit arrangements AND people!

Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Since I'm the first to vote I'll elaborate upon the rationale behind my choices:
  • Church Brew Works: I've dined here several times already and just love the atmosphere. I feel a bit "unholy" eating there, but it was better than seeing a church rotting and decaying until seeing the wrecking ball for a surface parking lot. There is ample parking behind the structure, and it's along a bus route. There is a good variety of foods, including some great salads for the vegetarians amongst us.
  • Wholey's: There's an upstairs dining room where you can easily bump numerous tables together in the middle of the room to share some camaraderie. The flip-side? I don't know how many non-seafood options they have, and I know many who dislike seafood. I loved my $6.99 "Whaler" sandwich when I ate here last Friday with a friend. The place is on Penn Avenue in the heart of The Strip. There's parking across the street or on-street parking. It's on a bus route.
  • Mineo's Pizza: What can I say? Thus far this is my favorite pizzeria in the city! The flip-side? I don't know if there's really a way to comfortably accommodate larger groups there, though. It's on Murray Avenue, which is also a bus route. The pizza is scrumptious!
  • Shiloh Grill: I have this "Utopian" vision in my head of taking some beautiful group pictures on one of the Grandview Avenue overlooks to post on our forum for all to see after a great dinner! This is a sister location of the very popular Harris Grill in Shadyside. I'm unsure of how good publlic transit is here, but I know it's within walking distance of the Monongahela Incline.
  • Other: I had a place Downtown in mind, but I can't think of its name.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I'll vote for somewhere downtown or in the Strip District, so I can get there by bus. I'm open to lots of different kinds of places.

Market Square could be nice. Here's the Original Oyster House menu: Original Oyster House Menu And didn't someone (Brian?) mention a gastropub there, and maybe a bistro?

There's a gastropub someone here mentioned last month that's in Friendship, the Sharp Edge on Friendship Avenue. The menu sounds pretty good and it's not all that pricey. Beer Emporium Dinner Menu (http://www.sharpedgebeer.com/BeerEmporium_dinner.htm - broken link)

If someone wants to eat really good fish, the Penn Avenue Fish Market has a new downtown location. But it's pricey. http://www.pennavefishcompany.com/menu/penn_ave_dinner_menu.pdf (broken link)
I personally vote "NO" on the Penn Avenue Fish Company. I've heard wonderful things about it, but if we were going to do seafood (which, in hindsight, I'm not sure is a good idea since while I love seafood I know many others do not) I'd rather us do Wholey's because it's considerably cheaper, less formal, and more "friendly" for a bunch of yokels like us to ham it up without causing too much of a distraction for others around us.

The Sharp Edge sounds very intriguing. I've never heard of it before, but thanks for the mention. I think that should be a serious contender. Market Square also has a lot of great options. My only concern with picking a Downtown location, though, is that many may be coming in from the 'burbs, and I'm sure they wouldn't be crazy about paying to park in a garage. You could bus Downtown. I could walk Downtown. Others? Not so easy.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,842,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I personally vote "NO" on the Penn Avenue Fish Company. I've heard wonderful things about it, but if we were going to do seafood (which, in hindsight, I'm not sure is a good idea since while I love seafood I know many others do not) I'd rather us do Wholey's because it's considerably cheaper, less formal, and more "friendly" for a bunch of yokels like us to ham it up without causing too much of a distraction for others around us.

The Sharp Edge sounds very intriguing. I've never heard of it before, but thanks for the mention. I think that should be a serious contender. Market Square also has a lot of great options. My only concern with picking a Downtown location, though, is that many may be coming in from the 'burbs, and I'm sure they wouldn't be crazy about paying to park in a garage. You could bus Downtown. I could walk Downtown. Others? Not so easy.
I heard on Marty Griffin's radio show today that FIFTH AVENUE PLACE HAS FREE PARKING AFTER 4 P.M.

I would love to eat at Wholey's. I didn't suggest it because it closes so early, 5:30 most days. Probably the best time would be Sunday brunch? I don't know that they do a brunch, but they're open then.

There's a seafood restaurant on Penn in the Strip called Roland's. I've only eaten there once. It's very informal, with a big bar room. I had good shrimp cocktail, and steamed clams that weren't steamed long enough, so I got a replacement dish. But they were very nice about it. Here's their website. Roland's Seafood Grill & Iron Landing

They have a dinner special, two dinners and a bottle of wine for $30. Whoever sits near me can drink my share of the wine. http://www.rolandsseafoodgrill.com/page4.html

I couldn't swear to it, but I'll bet parking isn't much of an issue at the Sharp Edge.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I heard on Marty Griffin's radio show today that FIFTH AVENUE PLACE HAS FREE PARKING AFTER 4 P.M.
Great to know! Is this only during the Holiday season to encourage people to shop/dine Downtown, or is this long-term? Is this seven days per week?

Quote:
I would love to eat at Wholey's. I didn't suggest it because it closes so early, 5:30 most days. Probably the best time would be Sunday brunch? I don't know that they do a brunch, but they're open then.
Sundays I'd likely be working on delivery during brunch time, but I can most certainly try to coordinate to request that day off if this would work for people.

Quote:
There's a seafood restaurant on Penn in the Strip called Roland's. I've only eaten there once. It's very informal, with a big bar room. I had good shrimp cocktail, and steamed clams that weren't steamed long enough, so I got a replacement dish. But they were very nice about it. Here's their website. Roland's Seafood Grill & Iron Landing

They have a dinner special, two dinners and a bottle of wine for $30. Whoever sits near me can drink my share of the wine. Roland's Seafood Grill - Roland's: Menus
I'm a HUGE wine snob! Don't tempt me by offering me your share of the vino or else I'll be stumbling my way back up to Polish Hill! I've always been curious about Roland's, actually. Thanks for the positive review.

Quote:
I couldn't swear to it, but I'll bet parking isn't much of an issue at the Sharp Edge.
Good to know!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:00 PM

Dozens of "views" and only I've voted? Hmmm. Does this mean people just want me to pick the date and place? LOL!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM

567 posts, read 1,157,078 times
I think the best option for food and mingling/conversation (not to mention beer ) would be Penn Brewery since it's spacious and open. Not sure they're open to meet on a Sunday, though

Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
I think the best option for food and mingling/conversation would be Penn Brewery since it's spacious and open. Not sure they're open to meet on a Sunday, though
If worst comes to worst and we decide collectively upon a venue that is more conducive for meet-ups on Saturdays, then I will examine the results of the other poll and pick the day prior to the Sunday that most people have available, figuring that most would be available/unavailable the entirety of that particular weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh