Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times

Advertisements

Damon's is definitely on the lower end of tolerable chain restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
Not my cup of tea, but I know it will fill a niche that's missing downtown. I went only once and got a headache from all the TVs.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
I don't know much about the previous place as I don't live in Pittsburgh, but I don't see how the opening of a generic, bland franchise is good for any area, let alone downtown. If a city is to have these stores, let them be confined to the suburbs, and not ruin the charm and character of a nice city like Pittsburgh.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
The location in question is somewhat isolated (USX is up on a plaza, and that section of Grant Street doesn't have much retail in general), so it isn't going to be ruining any charming local retail scene.

I don't really understand this sentiment, but some visitors prefer national-brand establishments, and this helps fill the popular family-restaurant/sports-bar niche. Generally I am fine with there being a Damon's Downtown, a McDonald's Downtown, and so on, as long as that sort of place isn't dominating.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
Good points, BrianTH. I guess there need to be a few places in any city's core where visiting families say 'oh, cool, a (insert favourite restaurant found back home) here! let's go'.

I live in Ottawa, Canada and am new to this site, but I decided to register and comment on some cities' pages I have developed an interest in. I have to say, I virtually fell in love with Pittsburgh following the photo threads. So much character, and variety in the architecture. I recently visited Buffalo and was astonished how way off the bad rap is that that city gets.

Glad to see people out there passionate about their city and so knowledgeable too, a wealth of civic knowledge on these pages. I got especially excited reading RestonRunner's enthusiastic posts about moving to the Steel City. I wish I lived in a city that elicited as much enthusiasm in me. (Ottawa ain't it!)

These fora, if not providing me the freedom to move to great US cities like Pittsburgh, at least in the meantime fuels that dream, while making me that much more eager to visit, if only as a tourist.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I don't really understand this sentiment, but some visitors prefer national-brand establishments, and this helps fill the popular family-restaurant/sports-bar niche. Generally I am fine with there being a Damon's Downtown, a McDonald's Downtown, and so on, as long as that sort of place isn't dominating.
This could especially fill a void for visitors who are staying downtown but looking for a place to catch a game for their favorite hometown team. When I travel for business on Steeler's game days I always look for a place that will show the game. I don't care how much local personality the place has so long as I get to see my beloved Steelers!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:52 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,711 times
...Although I have to admit that Damon's food is beyond terrible. I had to eat there once to use up a gift card that I got for Christmas one year and I was shocked at how horrible the meal was.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
It would've been better if they brought in a place like Dino's, which has locations in Greensburg and its hometown of Latrobe and is MUCH better than Damon's. Otherwise, I don't see what the big fuss is about.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 PM

156 posts, read 296,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Good points, BrianTH. I guess there need to be a few places in any city's core where visiting families say 'oh, cool, a (insert favourite restaurant found back home) here! let's go'.

I live in Ottawa, Canada and am new to this site, but I decided to register and comment on some cities' pages I have developed an interest in. I have to say, I virtually fell in love with Pittsburgh following the photo threads. So much character, and variety in the architecture. I recently visited Buffalo and was astonished how way off the bad rap is that that city gets.

Glad to see people out there passionate about their city and so knowledgeable too, a wealth of civic knowledge on these pages. I got especially excited reading RestonRunner's enthusiastic posts about moving to the Steel City. I wish I lived in a city that elicited as much enthusiasm in me. (Ottawa ain't it!)

These fora, if not providing me the freedom to move to great US cities like Pittsburgh, at least in the meantime fuels that dream, while making me that much more eager to visit, if only as a tourist.
I spent about 4 days in Ottawa and thought it was a very lovely city.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:20 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
there's nothing good about having a bad restaurant except that it's better than no business at all. it's okay that it's moving in but clearly visitors would be better served by a better restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh