Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM

102 posts, read 160,299 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to maybe relocate from Sq. Hill to Monroeville over the summer next year and I want to know if it's a good area to live in? I will be working in Monroeville and figured it would make my commute a bit easier.

Also, I will be having my niece to come live with me permanently in 2012 and want to get a head-start on good schools for her to go to. She'll be starting 6th grade at that point in time. I hear so many bad things about the city schools, so I want to know of areas that have really good schools. A commute is not an issue when it comes to this. Does anyone know anything about the school buses too? Would one pick her up from Monroeville to go to a school located in the suburbs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 AM

91 posts, read 236,966 times
Gateway is the school district in Monroeville. They have bussing as far as I know. Gateway has a decent school district. I've never heard any real complaints, but some people I know that went there are sort of ambivalent to the place.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 AM

33 posts, read 80,452 times
find it hard to believe you know so little about monroeville being as how you are from here. must not get out of squirrel hill much but no biggie. 1st monroeville is not in the city of pittsburgh it is itself a sub urb although its schools may not be what you would picture suburban schools to be. cant help much with middle school but gateway high isnt the greatest. monroeville itself is nice enough. it has problems but who doesnt? the monroeville mall is decent and william penn hwy is full of chain restaraunts and stores it kinda feels like a poormans mcknight road.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
Jazz only moved to the area in mid-2010.

Monroeville is a very typical post-WWII suburb, for good or ill. It would be a significant change from Squirrel Hill.

If you are looking for alternatives to Gateway, I believe some of the school districts over in Westmoreland County have a good reputation.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,443,200 times
I grew up in that area and would sooner live in Plum, Murrysville, or Penn township. Monroeville is on the decline, IMHO. The Gateway SD once had two Junior Highs that fed the high school, graduating class back in the 70's was around 650. It's now down to the low 300's.

And the stretch along Rte. 22 is about the ugliest retail stretch in this area.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Thank you BrianTH for pointing that out to shadysider.

I was just curious about the area because I will be working at Forbes-Regional and wanted a easier commute. I have 2 years to look for school districts. I've always heard about the school districts in Allison Park and Mt. Lebanon, but to live there and have to drive to Monroeville would be a heck of a commute. The commutes from Sq. Hill to those areas are a pain so I can only imagine adding more distance to it. But would that be a better option.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM

Shadysider....I am aware that Monroeville is a suburb. I am more interested in the school districts of other suburbs because I've heard many great things about them. Thank you. And I get out of Sq. Hill plenty.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,482,638 times
I would think that Franklin Regional and Plum are both better school districts than Gateway. I would look for a place in Murrysville which is in the Franklin Regional School District.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
And the stretch along Rte. 22 is about the ugliest retail stretch in this area.
Co-signed. So far Route 22 is the only impression I have of Murrysville, and it's not a positive one.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,443,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Co-signed. So far Route 22 is the only impression I have of Murrysville, and it's not a positive one.
The Monroeville stretch is even worse, maybe topped by the Rte 286 strip in Plum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh