Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,875 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone --

My family and I are considering moving to Pittsburgh from Chicago in the coming year, and need some help narrowing our research to a few neighborhoods. My husband and I have a young daughter, and are looking for an urban/walkable neighborhood in the city. Coming from Chicago, we really like being able to park the car on Fridays and use public transportation or walk everywhere on the weekends. While I don't necessarily expect the same thing in our new city, we would like to at least be able to walk to some restaurants, shops, etc. We're looking for an older house (i.e., don't want to be in a subdivision) and a decent school or good access to a private school.

We are planning a trip to Pittsburgh in January to scope out a few areas, and trying to get some background before then.

Thanks in advance for your help -- I've read many of the threads here and have picked up some tips, but haven't come across this exact discussion yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
If you seek a "walkable" neighborhood within the city proper with excellent private schools and proximity to businesses, then Squirrel Hill immediately comes to mind. There is a traditional commercial district lining both Murray and Forbes Avenues with numerous restaurants, small stores, banks, offices, etc. The surrounding side streets have some impressive historic homes replete with character and charm. Some of my favorite haunts are here, including Pamela's (great strawberry-filled pancakes that are almost like crepes), Mineo's Pizza (very expensive, but so good!), and, of course, Eat 'n Park, which is a Pittsburgh staple. There's a Giant Eagle grocery store along Murray Avenue along with a GetGo convenience store. Also on Murray is the Manor Theater, which shows many independent films (although when I drove by yesterday they were also showing "The Social Network"). The neighborhood has a very high Jewish population and is predominantly college-educated and upper-middle-class in nature.

Another great thing about Squirrel Hill is its convenience to other areas. You're a quick jaunt to The Waterfront, a lifestyle center laid out in 1999-2000 or so just across the Monongahela River in Homestead, West Homestead, and Munhall that features a Dave & Buster's, Macy's, Target, Lowe's, another Giant Eagle (they're as commonplace here as Starbuck's in Seattle), an AMC/Loews theater, Costco, Petco, Steak 'n Shake, Eat 'n Park (another common place in the Steel City), P.F. Chang's, and some other businesses. You're also right near the Parkway East (I-376), which takes you to Downtown. Shadyside is nearby, and there are two primary business districts here---Walnut Street and Ellsworth Avenue. It probably has Pittsburgh's tightest concentration of LGBT individuals, which also explains the presence of 2 or 3 gay bars/clubs in the immediate neighborhood. I think Squirrel Hill is more "family-oriented" than Shadyside, which has a younger demographic with a lot of hipsters and yuppies.

Welcome in advance to our city! I just moved here from Washington, DC, and it's been a breath of fresh air. I can't wait to raise my own family here in the future (as soon as I can find someone to pay to be my better half!)

Old 12-16-2010, 12:12 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Virtually all of the city neighborhoods are walkable and have older homes available. Which one is most suited to you will depend on how much you have available to spend. Certain neighborhoods have higher crime, better schools, etc. Some have healthy business districts, others you have to drive to things. I'm guessing you want a neighborhood with a decent school district, low crime, and a healthy business district. Squirrel Hill does immediately come to mind, however it is one of the priciest city neighborhoods.

Other options (you will have to research the schools):

East End neighborhoods:
Highland Park
Morningside
Regent Square
Friendship
Bloomfield (more dense, urban)
Lawrenceville (dense, urban, row-houses)
Shadyside (expensive)
Oakland (lots of students)
Polish Hill
Greenfield
Point Breeze
(I might be missing a couple. These are all great neighborhoods on the east end).

North Side (slightly more gritty than the East End. Great for urban pioneers and lovers of Victorian architecture):

Mexican War Streets
Deutschtown (great business district on E. Ohio)
Allegheny West
Spring Hill
Troy Hill

North Hills (more family friendly):

Bellevue / West View (lots of brick four-square style homes)
Observatory Hill (lots of nice homes)

West End neighborhoods:

Crafton / Ingram
West End Village (more densely urban, row-house neighborhood)
Elliott (more urban-pioneerish)

South:

South Side Flats (rowdy, lots of bars, but great neighborhood with lots of great architecture and an awesome business district)

Mt. Washington (quiet neighborhood overlooking city)

There are lots of beautiful neighborhoods in the South Hills, too, such as Mt. Lebanon, but I am less familiar with these.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Squirrel Hill is by far your best bet. Check into Shadyside as well. If you don't mind a very tiny commercial district then check out Regent Square or Mt. Washington near the hill. Those really are the only "nice" neighborhoods in the city limits with some stuff to walk around in that I can think of. The rest of the neighborhoods with walkable things are full of annoying young people, yinzers, bars or are rundown.

Keep in mind that living in the city limits incurs a 3% local income tax whereas outside of the city it is usually 1%. If you are willing to live outside of the city limits, but still want a "walkable" downtown check out Mt. Lebanon, Sewickley, Aspinwall, Oakmont, or Dormont.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:01 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Squirrel Hill is by far your best bet. Check into Shadyside as well. If you don't mind a very tiny commercial district then check out Regent Square or Mt. Washington near the hill. Those really are the only "nice" neighborhoods in the city limits with some stuff to walk around in that I can think of. The rest of the neighborhoods with walkable things are full of annoying young people, yinzers, bars or are rundown.
What about Bloomfield, Deutschtown, Lawrenceville, Oakland, and the South Side? I'll give you that the South Side has too many bars, but it's a great neighborhood with tons of things to walk to. None of these neighborhoods are run-down (Deutschtown has been beautifully gentrified for the most part and has a great business district).

Old 12-16-2010, 12:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
If you are willing to use private schools, you definitely have a LOT of choices. Being close to the East Busway would be nice because it provides better public transportation options than most places in the City--that would include the Regent Square area (note that most of the Regent Square area is outside the City), Point Breeze, Highland Park, Bloomfield/Friendship, and Shadyside. Squirrel Hill is also very nice and family-friendly, and although not on the East Busway it is well-served by buses (albeit sometimes pretty crowded buses).

Edit: Oh, and I lived in Chicago for a few years (while going to law school). There are actually some similarities in terms of the availability of walkable neighborhoods (usually just much cheaper in Pittsburgh).

Old 12-16-2010, 01:33 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
What about Bloomfield, Deutschtown, Lawrenceville, Oakland, and the South Side? I'll give you that the South Side has too many bars, but it's a great neighborhood with tons of things to walk to. None of these neighborhoods are run-down (Deutschtown has been beautifully gentrified for the most part and has a great business district).
She wants to live in a "family" kind of neighborhood. Bloomfield is pretty much old people and hipsters. Deutschtown is too near the seediness of the North Side. Lawrenceville is hipsters and still gentrifying and trashy in spots. Oakland...are you kidding me? I would never raise a family in the middle of that undergrad slum. South Side Flats....maybe some of the quieter streets and nicer homes down past 22nd street and back toward the slopes (but not too far back because the train is very loud). I personally wouldn't raise a family on the Flats though. Too nutty.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The part of Bloomfield that is next to Friendship (the exact border being a matter of dispute) is pretty family-friendly.

Schenley Farms in Oakland, and much of South Oakland, are also family-friendly.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
IMHO, you will be using private schools if you are in the city. Shadyside, Point Breeze, Squirrel Hill are all pretty nice. If you want to use a public school system, but want to be able to walk around, Aspinwall has that. We walk there often, but it is small compared to Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. I have walked to Shadyside from Aspinwall, but it is a haul.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:36 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have walked to Shadyside from Aspinwall, but it is a haul.
How did you cross all the traffic? That's one heckuva haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh