Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:42 AM

54 posts, read 255,795 times

Advertisements

I think it's laughable what people here consider a bad neighborhood. AA's in this town are are divine (really, they're just like you & me!). It seems that they don't subscribe to the thug culture that is plaguing east coast cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:42 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,035 times
People in Pittsburgh haven't really seen "bad" areas.. I think the perception is formed by News reports..Areas should not necessarily be avoided some areas you have to be more
careful in than others..

If you really want to see BAD areas..try: North Philly,parts of Brooklyn..Chicago South Side..sections of Detroit...I have seen some of these areas with my own eyes..the scope,proverty,crime is unreal when compared to Pittsburgh..

Old 08-02-2008, 01:12 AM

2 posts, read 16,862 times
First of all I see many people saying that east end/east liberty is somehow rough. I have lived here for quite a while near negley and penn and I can say confidently that I am yet to have a problem

Second, places I would avoid:

1. There is no where in the city I would avoid during the day.

2. At night however, I can only think of a few places I would avoid, but not even enough that I would if it was inconvienient. The ones that come to mind are North and South Oakland (central oakland is ok in my experience which is significant), Downtown (this is the only place that I am truly uncomfortable after 10/11 PM; at least off of the main intersections), and anything farther than jane going towards mt. oliver/arlington heights in south side (especially so if you are a young woman.)

When if comes down to it though none of these are really that bad. The only place I avoid like the plague is Troy Hill.

Each place I mentioned I have at least one friend who lives there. So far in my relatively large social circle I can name all the issues they have had and location on one hand.

1. Friends car broken into - Southside
2. another friends car broken into - Southside
3. Friend mugged - Downtown
4. Friends storefront broken into and vandalized - Southside.

Among the 50 odd people I know I can only think of 4 crimes in almost 7 years. granted it's anecdotal, but the majority of the people I know are pedestrian and bus riders and bicyclists. in a car there is no where I wouldn't go.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:26 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
Here's my list:

Allentown
Arlington
Beltzhoover
Knoxville
Mt. Oliver
St. Clair village
Esplen
Elliot
West End
Sheraden
Fairywood
Mckees rocks
Sto Rocks
Crafton Heights (parts)
Greenway
Garfield
Larimer
Lincoln/Lemington
Belmar
Homewood
Wilkinsburgh
Penn hills (parts)
East lib
East hills
Braddock
Duquesne
Mckeesport
Clairton
East Pittsburgh
Rankin
Swissvale (parts)
South Oakland
Hill District
Uptown/Bluff
Manchester
Central Northside
Perry South
Brighton Heights (parts)
Spring Garden
Spring Hill
East ohio
Northveiw Heights
Stript District (penn ave)
Hazelwood
Homestead (parts)
Glen Hazel
Hays
Aliquippa
Ambrige
New Castle
Neville Island
Beaver Falls

I'm sure I forgot a few.
Whats left?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 AM

275 posts, read 628,416 times
You especially avoid places where there are murders!!! Just watch the news.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:05 PM

69 posts, read 295,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgpitt View Post
First of all I see many people saying that east end/east liberty is somehow rough. I have lived here for quite a while near negley and penn and I can say confidently that I am yet to have a problem

Second, places I would avoid:

1. There is no where in the city I would avoid during the day.

2. At night however, I can only think of a few places I would avoid, but not even enough that I would if it was inconvienient. The ones that come to mind are North and South Oakland (central oakland is ok in my experience which is significant), Downtown (this is the only place that I am truly uncomfortable after 10/11 PM; at least off of the main intersections), and anything farther than jane going towards mt. oliver/arlington heights in south side (especially so if you are a young woman.)

When if comes down to it though none of these are really that bad. The only place I avoid like the plague is Troy Hill.

Each place I mentioned I have at least one friend who lives there. So far in my relatively large social circle I can name all the issues they have had and location on one hand.

1. Friends car broken into - Southside
2. another friends car broken into - Southside
3. Friend mugged - Downtown
4. Friends storefront broken into and vandalized - Southside.

Among the 50 odd people I know I can only think of 4 crimes in almost 7 years. granted it's anecdotal, but the majority of the people I know are pedestrian and bus riders and bicyclists. in a car there is no where I wouldn't go.
Downtown, and north oakland are places to avoid? you obviously aren't from Pittsburgh then, or just don't get around too often. The majority of North Oakland is on Pitt's campus near the Peterson Events Center, and it is safe up there, now going over towards the hill past Kirkpatrick is a diffrent story. You say downtown is a place to avoid, but didn't mention neighborhoods like homewood, the hill, garfield, and parts of the north side. Like I said you must either haven't lived in Pittsburgh long enough, or you just don't get out too often.

Some people on this board is just delusional.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:53 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agbor View Post
people in pittsburgh haven't really seen "bad" areas.. I think the perception is formed by news reports..areas should not necessarily be avoided some areas you have to be more
careful in than others..

If you really want to see bad areas..try: North philly,parts of brooklyn..chicago south side..sections of detroit...i have seen some of these areas with my own eyes..the scope,proverty,crime is unreal when compared to pittsburgh..
thank you!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 16,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrayyBall View Post
Downtown, and north oakland are places to avoid? you obviously aren't from Pittsburgh then, or just don't get around too often. The majority of North Oakland is on Pitt's campus near the Peterson Events Center, and it is safe up there, now going over towards the hill past Kirkpatrick is a diffrent story. You say downtown is a place to avoid, but didn't mention neighborhoods like homewood, the hill, garfield, and parts of the north side. Like I said you must either haven't lived in Pittsburgh long enough, or you just don't get out too often.

Some people on this board is just delusional.
1. North Oakland around center and craig is probably one of the ugliest parts of town, I'm not talking about the area just up the hill of campus at pitt, that's a small part of north oakland.. South Oakland has a higher rate of non-violent crime than most places in the city (especially in the case of burglary)

2. Homewood, the hill, and garfield? Northside?!? I think you may be confusing black with unsafe. I lived on the northside and walked to CCAC there 5 days a week for over 2 years. The crime rate in north shore/side is disgustingly overexagerated. I will grant homewood and maybe the hill, but the hill is generally full of kind and friendly people. Just because it's not Upper Saint Clair doesn't mean it's dangerous.

I've lived here my whole life. I grew up in Sharaden, I've lived in South Side, South Oakland, North Oakland, North Side, and Squirrel Hill briefly. I currently live in East Liberty. I ride the bus and walk everywhere. I go to shows in garfield all the time on foot late at night from East Liberty. It's NOT that bad.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:05 PM

136 posts, read 691,318 times
Garfield on penn and Garfield up the hill in the projects are two totally different places..i'd walk on penn ave too...that said you'd have to looking for trouble to find it.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:00 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgpitt View Post

2. Homewood, the hill, and garfield? Northside?!? I think you may be confusing black with unsafe. I lived on the northside and walked to CCAC there 5 days a week for over 2 years. The crime rate in north shore/side is disgustingly overexagerated.

THANK YOU! Maximum rep awarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh