Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times

Advertisements

Someone who believes in the laws of the country, including the Constitution, and lives a life dedicating to upholding them for the betterment of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 07:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Someone who will tear down all the buildings built after 1950 and build replicas of the historic buildings that stood there in the past.

Just kidding.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 PM

9 posts, read 16,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post

I'm forever an optimistic idealist. If anyone has a reason for loving Pittsburgh it's someone who was given a second shot at life by this city. I may not be crazy about the Steelers, and I may not love beer, but I can fake being infatuated with both if they'd help garner me votes!
In all honesty this already cost you the position! Faking it may get you the job; as all the prior incumbents have done is lie!

Seriously, please understand how serious we take the Stillers!

Our mayor changed his name from RAVENstal, to STEELERstal during our rivalry game last year!

What could you as an ADMITTED NON FOOTBALL fan add to this city that the 90% football fans could relate to?

All the cheerie neighborhood BS will not get you elected, BTW (although it would be great if it would happen, you need in some sort of position first. (Sorry to say, but you being gay just knocked you even further back on accomplishing your goals.)

I WISH YOU LUCK and enjoy your enthusiasm, but you also need to respect the regions fandom of sports! (not make a mockery of it!)

Old 12-19-2010, 10:24 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,519 times
George Clooney

Old 12-19-2010, 11:12 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Since moving to Pittsburgh I've heard nothing but vitriol spewed forth about incumbent Mayor Luke Ravenstahl. As someone who would love to make a successful bid for city council (and/or potentially even mayorship) in the future I was just curious as to what, if anything, you would like to see when you envision your "perfect" mayor. What does Mayor Ravenstahl do right, if anything? Where could he improve? What priorities should a mayor have to garner your vote?

Granted I'm a newbie, and I realize there's some unspoken rule here in the Steel City about needing to "pay your dues" for "X" number of years before anyone will view you with any sort of legitimacy as "one of us", so to speak; however, it never hurts to inquire now about how to prime myself now to help make this city be the best it can be. As a fiscal conservative I can safely say one of my top priorities would be to balance the budget WITHOUT borrowing, which I view as being cowardly as it just shifts the financial burden onto your successor.

Should your mayor be an idealist? A realist? An optimist? A pessimist? A curmudgeon? A social butterfly? Would his (or her) sexual orientation, marital status, religious affiliation, race, or any other superficial quality make he or she any more or less likely to garner your support?
It's not a secret anywhere, everyone must ''pay their dues'' if they expect political backing. You work hard for the party for years, you get their backing. It's not rocket science. How else would it work? Few people would support a stranger with no backing.

Quote:
LOL! I figured I'd get a response like this, but, more specifically, what are they doing wrong? I hear a lot of Pittsburghers whine about "Mayor Lukey", but when I ask them what in particular they dislike they just say something like "well, he just sucks, ya know?" Well, as a newbie, I unfortunately don't know.

I'm forever an optimistic idealist. If anyone has a reason for loving Pittsburgh it's someone who was given a second shot at life by this city. I may not be crazy about the Steelers, and I may not love beer, but I can fake being infatuated with both if they'd help garner me votes!
Forget it. You obviously don't understand how politics works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Someone who believes in the laws of the country, including the Constitution, and lives a life dedicating to upholding them for the betterment of society.
Is what? So far so good. What's the rest of your sentence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers5548 View Post
In all honesty this already cost you the position! Faking it may get you the job; as all the prior incumbents have done is lie!

Seriously, please understand how serious we take the Stillers!

Our mayor changed his name from RAVENstal, to STEELERstal during our rivalry game last year!

What could you as an ADMITTED NON FOOTBALL fan add to this city that the 90% football fans could relate to?

All the cheerie neighborhood BS will not get you elected, BTW (although it would be great if it would happen, you need in some sort of position first. (Sorry to say, but you being gay just knocked you even further back on accomplishing your goals.)

I WISH YOU LUCK and enjoy your enthusiasm, but you also need to respect the regions fandom of sports! (not make a mockery of it!)
Good post! A newbie doesn't understand and doesn't have chance. He has no chance if he doesn't LOVE the Stillers!!!!!!

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2010 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 12-20-2010, 05:27 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
By the way, this is an example of the sort of thing a Mayor can productively do:

Ravenstahl lures high-tech businesses

Again, a cynical person might suggest this is a typical congregation of elite interests . . . but sometimes that is what is necessary.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Alright, so as I understand it that as a person who doesn't love football and is gay I don't have a chance, so I'm just going to throw the towel in now. Still, though, let's toss around more ideas on what an effective leader could do for this town besides foolishly change his surname.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
might help if a republican won now and again. brian is right....mayors have to try to bring businesses of all konds...be a nonstop cheerleader for their city. create a vision on how to inprove the city that people can buy into and be able to make backroom deals that satisfy the interests yet still accomplishes your goal. rendell is from ny yet won as mayor and succeeded because he has these traits. he also want afraid to thrown certain groups like the municpal unions under the bus which made him more popular with voters. i mention him becaise he actually won in the states other parochial city...of course he adopted the eagles as his team.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:17 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
By the way, the Steelers thing might be an issue, but I don't think being gay would be. Pittsburgh is gay-friendly in an almost accidental way--it is just part of a general "mind your own business" attitude around here. In any event, I personally think an otherwise promising candidate who happened to be gay would have no particular problem building the constituency necessary to win the primary, and then would have no particular problem winning the general election.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I think we have had some good mayors. Murphy I liked. You can tell he loved Pittsburgh and tried very hard to get things moving. He worked hard on the bike trails and realized transforming the riverfront areas would benefit this region. He tried hard to connect all the bike trails to get around the city. The views from these trails are awesome. He was a great salesman to try and bring companies and growth. The Northside sure benefitted. I suspect it is a thankless job with all the people always saying, "you suck" or whatever. At the end of the day, I hope the person in that position would be honest. I think we have been lucky most of the time, but I am an optimist living in a city that doesn't have many of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh