Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I was at 7 Springs last weekend, didn't see any snow. Wait, now I remember, I never left the bar.

My friend has a cabin up there, so I'm there quite a bit. No doubt in Feb at the very least you will see man made snow, but there have been a few years with little snow.
And also some years, like last year, with a ton of snow. Who needs a ski resort anyway when you could do like these dudes did and take it "dahntahn" LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQk76u0DU8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
Hello, I am just curious if Pittsburgh would be a good, quick getaway from Phoenix around the first week of february. Now obviously living here in AZ, snow is not too common here in Phoenix. Now my wife who is from the midwest absolutely misses the snow so she booked a trip to Northern AZ, but of course IMO we are too south to ever have guaranteed xmas snow since it has not snowed there yet. Long story short I would like to surprise her with a trip to Pittsburgh in february(1st week). I have a choice for a few free night's stay from my previous company to a few cities and Pittsburgh being one of them. Will there be guaranteed snow in february? Is it a decent amount of snow? Is Philly too far for a small roadtrip, or even Cleveland, or worth going at least? What is there to do in Pittsburgh? I appreciate the info.
First of all, a trip to Pittsburgh from Phoenix will not be quick. The flight time for a non-stop flight is about 6 hours. Add to that 2 hrs before the airport arrival time, drive time to the airport, and then ground transp. to your destination in Pgh and you're looking at about 10 hours. That will take up one of your days in each direction. Price would probably be ~ $1000 for two people.

To answer your question, will there be guaranteed snow in Pittsburgh, the answer is "no". I would guess the chances are less than 50%, but you could probably google this information.

There seem to be many strands in this thread about skiing, Fallingwater, Philadelphia, etc.

I agree with AaronClark about the skiing. If the purpose of the trip is to go skiing, the closest place would probably be Taos, NM. If you want somewhere with glitzy nightlife, look at Vail, Aspen, Steamboat and other CO resorts.

Philly is far for a road trip, about 6 hours. Lots of neat sights there, though.

Cleveland is much closer, about 2 hours; I'm not familiar with the sightseeing there.

As people are saying, Pgh has a lot of neat things to do and sights to see. Just no guarantee of snow. Even at 7 Springs, it may be only on the slopes.

If you want guaranteed snow, I'd look at Duluth, MN and/or Fargo, ND.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:23 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
There will be snow at 7 Springs in Feb, mostly man made. Just drive up Route 79 towards Erie, trust me, you will hit snow.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Interesting takes. Being someone that has travelled extensively in Europe and having a wife from Europe, I will say this... if Pittsburgh was in Europe, it would be a travel destination that would get positive press. The past smokey days will haunt us forever and some still view this place as part of the rust belt. Pittsburgh is a smaller city with really nice views terrain that is pleasing to the eye and it is quite friendly. It has lots of arts because of some really great endowments. Andy Warhol's paintings go for a few dollars. Maybe visit that museum? Also, tourists are usually treated very well here. Sever Springs was an idea to enjoy a little snow. Right now there is plenty of snow there that isn't man-made. We would have to have quite a thaw for it not to be there in February, but we are talking about weather and even weathermen don't have a clue, so there are no guarantees.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:09 AM

^^The OP wants snow. There is no guarantee of snow in Pgh in Feb.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The point, again, is that while there is no guarantee of snow in the City in February, if there isn't snow in the City there is a very good chance there will be snow somewhere nearby. And meanwhile, snow or no snow, there is lots to do in the City as well.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The point, again, is that while there is no guarantee of snow in the City in February, if there isn't snow in the City there is a very good chance there will be snow somewhere nearby. And meanwhile, snow or no snow, there is lots to do in the City as well.
The point of the trip is to see the snow! As several of us have said, it's possible the only snow at Seven Springs will be manmade snow on the slopes. Pittsburgh is not a place I would recommend if the OP wants snow! The OP should go to Duluth for snow, and go to Pittsburgh some other time, perhaps fall, its best season, for the sight-seeing.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:39 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The OP apparently has a limited number of cities to choose from, and in general the OP asked for information about a Pittsburgh visit, so we are giving it.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:45 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^The OP wants snow. There is no guarantee of snow in Pgh in Feb.
There is no guarantee of snow in many other places either. Remember what happened at the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver, BC last year-they had to truck snow into Vancouver (in February)- who would have thought ?

Old 12-25-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
There is no guarantee of snow in many other places either. Remember what happened at the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver, BC last year-they had to truck snow into Vancouver (in February)- who would have thought ?
Actually, I would have thought, knowing that there is rarely snow in Seattle, just south of the border from Vancouver.

MinnPost - Paul Douglas (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Q1oVokzdH5UJ:www.minnpost.com/pauldouglas/+probability+of+snow+on+the+ground+in+duluth+mn+in +february&cd=20&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

Vancouver is a harbor city next to an ocean, so the climate is mild even in winter. In fact, Vancouver's average February temperature of 4.8 degrees Celsius and is the warmest city to ever host a Winter Olympics. By the way, 4.8 degrees Celsius is around 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

I couldn't find a link with the probability of snow in Feb, but here is a link about the probablility of a white Christmas. Since Christmas happens at the very beginning of winter, so one might think the probablility of snow is a little higher later into the winter.

White Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would def. recommend Duluth.

The OP did not say what other cities he was thinking of, Brian. I'm just giving another suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh