U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,030,512 times
Default Philly-based PMC closes on Verizon Building

Article here:

PMC closes on Verizon building | Pittsburgh Business Times

Older pre-closing article here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...27/story1.html

As noted in the articles, PMC has done a lot of office-to-residential conversions in Philly. This would be a great location for a similar project Downtown (in what I call Little Modernia, between Point Park and Market Square with the upcoming Gateway T Station nearby), and would complement a similar conversion Millcraft has planned for the State Office Building. And if this works out for PMC, maybe they will do more projects Downtown or elsewhere in Pittsburgh's core area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 08:22 PM

8,737 posts, read 7,261,336 times
cool. maybe gateway ctr will get a makeover as well

Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 AM

Those cruciform buildings (which go back to Le Courbusier via Irwin Clavan) were actually designed for residential use. So it would be cool to see some of them converted to residential units.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 AM

PMC has revealed some details. The top 8 floors (5-12) would be converted to 158 apartments, and the exact use of the basement and first four floors remains to be determined. They would like the units to come onto the market late this year or early next year:

Verizon Building's owner plans conversion - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Nonprofit groups criticize proposed city billboard restrictions

Quote:
Architect Stephen Varenhorst said the one- and two-bedroom units would be "affordable." They would be marketed to young professionals and "people who want to have an urban experience," he said.
It is nice to see this project moving along--hopefully "affordable" is meant somewhat seriously. And if this works out well, maybe PMC will do some more conversions Downtown.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:03 AM

92 posts, read 80,004 times
Affordable apts make alot of sense to me downtown... I know many 20 somethings who would live downtown but end up going elsewhere because there are only 300k level apts available....

i think there is a huge market for mid range apts for young professionals...

to me this is a great sign for the downtown residential market,,,,it means it is really expanded to include new groups...

Old 02-23-2011, 07:10 AM

I also think it fits with a vision of Downtown as a "gateway" neighborhood. Suppose you are a young professional coming to Pittsburgh for the first time, with a job Downtown. Pittsburgh can be a baffling city, both when deciding where to live and then learning how to get around. But living Downtown would put you within walking distance to work, and also right in the center of everything for further exploration of the City.

Maybe in a few years you will find someone, get married, plan on having kids, and so forth, and want to move elsewhere in the area. Or maybe you will just find another neighborhood to your liking. But having a convenient first option Downtown would make all such transitions easier. And in that sense, apartments like that being available Downtown could help make the whole area more attractive to prospective young professional employees.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 PM

3,910 posts, read 3,797,012 times
I'm excited about all of the residential options that are opening up downtown. I don't understand why people always act like our downtown is nothing. It's very impressive..

Old 02-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I'm excited about all of the residential options that are opening up downtown. I don't understand why people always act like our downtown is nothing. It's very impressive..
Hating on Downtown is a local tradition. And to be fair, it some respects it is still a work in progress--although I think sometimes people need to take a step back and realize it is pretty darn cool already.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM

9,583 posts, read 8,165,401 times
It's like AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh