U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-26-2010, 06:41 PM

56 posts, read 50,016 times
Default Mystery lands - NE Allegheny County

I'm just wondering about the lands we (I - at least) never speak of. The boroughs and townships of Northeastern Allegheny County.

Cheswick, Fawn Township, Tarentum, Verona, Brackenridge, Frazer Township, Harrison Township, West Deer Township, Springdale, Highlands School District, Deer Lakes School District, etc.

What is there (aside from Pittsburgh Mills)? Do people live there? Will they ever become the "next" up and coming burbs? Any cool houses/neighborhoods or is it just all country/woodlands?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 06:47 PM

26,087 posts, read 45,298,359 times
I deliver frequently to Oakmont and really love it!

Old 12-26-2010, 06:50 PM

Yeah, Oakmont is great. I don't really lump that into what I'm talking about. I'm talking extreme North and East section of Allegheny County... east of Pine and Richland Townships.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 PM

11,082 posts, read 7,187,007 times
That area is going to get a boost when rt. 28 is done. Just common sense. The area you are speaking of is pretty rural. West Deer taxes are high. The areas are all pretty safe with little crime and pretty cheap. Springdale is a backwards little town, but not bad. If you are driving through there on Friday or Saturday, check out that bbq/beer place across from the Pizza Hut. That is some good bbq. The real thing.

Oakmont is okay, but it is about impossible to get in and out of because of Hulton Bridge or the other terrible option of Verona on Allegheny River Blvd. What a horrible commute into the city. It is only going to get worse when the Edgewater project gets going.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 PM

824 posts, read 1,049,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghWA22 View Post
I'm just wondering about the lands we (I - at least) never speak of. The boroughs and townships of Northeastern Allegheny County.

Cheswick, Fawn Township, Tarentum, Verona, Brackenridge, Frazer Township, Harrison Township, West Deer Township, Springdale, Highlands School District, Deer Lakes School District, etc.

What is there (aside from Pittsburgh Mills)? Do people live there? Will they ever become the "next" up and coming burbs? Any cool houses/neighborhoods or is it just all country/woodlands?
Plenty of people live in all those areas. Cheswick and Tarentum still have some businesses around that people shop at. Even Sheetz!

Seems like some new homes/developments are going up in a few areas you mention too.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:24 PM

I'm gonna have to check these areas out sometime. I'm not making a mockery of them, or anything... I just really never hear anything about them and I have never had a reason to visit any, yet. Even on the news...never hear much about them.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,579,397 times
Cheswick lost some businesses when Pgh. Mills was built including a 4-screen theater. There are newer homes or condos at the top of Pillow Ave. near Rt. 28. Tarentum looks poor and run down.

Verona doesn't belong in your list.
---
Oakmont is getting a new bridge. There was talk about leaving the old bridge in place and building the new one beside it. A pedestrian/bicycle bridge. I hope the new one will connect to Rt. 28 because the traffic at that light in Harmarville gets way backed up and also the light in Oakmont. Harmar is interesting because it has so much varied retail.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 AM

3,124 posts, read 5,252,815 times
Maybe an interesting urban planning thesis topic would be "Why didn't Harmarville turn into Cranberry?" Those Gulf Lab buildings look pretty big, must have had quite a number of techy workers 40 years ago or so.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Cheswick lost some businesses when Pgh. Mills was built including a 4-screen theater. There are newer homes or condos at the top of Pillow Ave. near Rt. 28. Tarentum looks poor and run down.

Verona doesn't belong in your list.
---
Oakmont is getting a new bridge. There was talk about leaving the old bridge in place and building the new one beside it. A pedestrian/bicycle bridge. I hope the new one will connect to Rt. 28 because the traffic at that light in Harmarville gets way backed up and also the light in Oakmont. Harmar is interesting because it has so much varied retail.
Not sure if the bridge is actually going to happen. Last I head, it was voted down unless it connected to Rt. 28.

I think Cheswick has two of its screens left at the theater, but not sure.

Tarentum is pretty run down and tired.

East Deer is sort of like a rural Tarentum.

Springdale is pretty much the same as Cheswick. Not a bad little town. Guess you could say, a very white working class area.

Harmarville has what many call Hamburger row due to the exit on the Turnpike. Has a Primanties there. A Ladbroke for gambling is also there. Housing in Harmarville is also a working class white neighborhood.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Maybe an interesting urban planning thesis topic would be "Why didn't Harmarville turn into Cranberry?" Those Gulf Lab buildings look pretty big, must have had quite a number of techy workers 40 years ago or so.
The Gulf Lab was going strong years ago. The reason that area didn't take off is because Rt. 28 was not the best road to commute into Pittsburgh. In a few years that is going to change when 28 gets changed around. The work they have done on 28 so far is amazingly good. I suspect property values will go up in that whole region when the work is complete. It is going to be three years I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh