U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 AM

225 posts, read 424,495 times
Default Area skiing this year (2010/2011 season)

Hi all,

I'm new to the area. My wife and I just went up to 7 Springs. Great place, good skiing. But OMG expensive and OMG crowded. We went up Sunday the 26th and it was great, but the 27th was a shutout, we got up there, got lift tickets, rented skis, then discovered what a absolute zoo it was (plus my wife decided she didn't want to ski any more).

Anyway trying to build on a inauspecious start. What's Hidden Valley like? Seems like they don't have many slopes, but lower price.

Also, Boyce park is pretty close by, and really cheap. Is that decent?

Also where do you buy skis, and what price range should I look at? I just want a starter set, i'm not sure if I'm going to use it enough to justify $1000 spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 AM

3,323 posts, read 2,877,199 times
Hidden Valley is smaller than Seven Springs and bigger than Boyce. Seven Springs has more of a party crowd whereas Hidden Valley is more geared to families. Boyce is really for people learning to ski and for very young kids.

Willi's has a warehouse store that may have deals on skis. Also, check online for deals on last years skis.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,148,049 times
I'd actually head up to Peek N' Peak in western New York. It's perfect for beginners. Small, cheap, close, never crowded. Also, the snow is far better. They're always crushed with lake effect. It's about 150 miles away, a bit farther than 7 Springs, but worth it. If you are more experienced skiers, drive an extra hour or so past Peek N' Peak and head to Holiday Valley.

Welcome to Peek'n Peak
Holiday Valley | Ski Snowboard Golf Resort & Conference Center Buffalo NY

Personally, I really dont' understand Pittsburghers' love affair with 7 Springs. I hate the place for the same reasons that you mentioned. It's a ripoff for what you get, and it's always overcrowded. I don't think people realize that better options exist nearby. If you don't mind a longer drive (like 4 hours), head to the WV resorts like Canaan and Snowshoe. Snowshoe is owned by Intrawest (Whistler/Blackcomb, Copper, etc), and it's a huge resort with a very large mountain (for the east). In typical Intrawest fashion it can be pricey.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 AM

41,763 posts, read 46,465,530 times
For nearby resorts, I prefer Hidden Valley to Seven Springs. Both places are less crowded on weekdays. Although, during Christmas break they will be crowded.

I would never go to Boyce. That's not even skiing IMO.

There are many options if you're willing to drive a few hours. AaronClark mentioned PeaknPeak, Canaan and Snowshoe. There's also Blue Knob in PA and Wisp in MD.

Here's a list of 15 ski resorts within reasonable distance to Pittsburgh:

Skiing and Snowboarding in Western Pennsylvania - Ski Resorts and Ski Shops in PA, MD and NY

I'm heading out this week. I'm going to try Holiday Valley in NY for the first time.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-28-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 10:21 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,148,049 times
^ Great list! There are a couple on there that are similar to Boyce though... make sure you do some research on them before you jump in the car.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:40 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,519,567 times
I'm not a skier, but i know a lot of people go to Boston Mills and Brandywine near Cleveland. Anyone been there? Ski. Ride. Tube. | Boston Mills Brandywine

Old 12-28-2010, 04:30 PM

11,109 posts, read 7,229,238 times
Seven Springs is great, but during the holiday and weekends it is tough going. Keep on the North Face if you want to actually ski. I just got back from skiing today. Great conditions. The lift by the goggle was packed and took forever, but the North Face wasn't too bad. All other ski places aren't as good.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM

46 posts, read 38,422 times
I was up at the Peak two weeks ago for opening week. All day lift ticket for day of arrival and departure + lodging was 120$. Granted it was when that storm was happening so -10 with the 30mph winds, but I enjoyed it and so did my buddy from FL. Nothing too big, but there a few runs that you can actually enjoy and carve up.
Never been to 7 springs but I dont plan on it with all the negativity. Ill travel the extra hour and try Holiday valley or head down to WV.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:04 PM

11,109 posts, read 7,229,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuzzie View Post
Never been to 7 springs but I dont plan on it with all the negativity.
Are you kidding me? Negativity? It is the highest rated ski resort around by far. If you are not into skiing or boarding, then yes, go to the other little places. They are cheaper and less crowded. There might be a reason for that however.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:08 PM

8,203 posts, read 7,218,326 times
7 Springs will soon be a minor league player, the Nuttings have taken control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh