U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,217 posts, read 45,870,912 times
Reputation: 11048
Since so many of you seem to think I started this thread only to bash African-Americans I won't update this thread throughout the year. I'm making no more contributions to this thread. I see no reason why Pittsburgh's sub-forum only has to be "sunshine and puppies". It was the same way on the NoVA sub-forum. Anyone who liked the area but still tried to offer up criticisms was targeted as the fangs came out. I was hoping we could notice trends (not necessarily RACIAL) evolving throughout the year and discuss individual cases where appropriate; however, if people are going to continue to infer I'm a racist for this thread it's best I request its closure.

 
Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Great White North Hills
8,274 posts, read 7,342,973 times
Reputation: 4508
Copy that, close this puppie.

YAC YAC YAC we love ya
 
Old 01-07-2011, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Perry South, Pittsburgh, PA
1,437 posts, read 1,414,382 times
Reputation: 966
You know who the racists are? The ones making race a big deal.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
 
Location: About 10 miles north of Pittsburgh International
2,117 posts, read 1,975,362 times
Reputation: 1741
I suggested the thread seemed perverse, but I never mentioned race. (Although, I fully expected that it was inevitable that that would become a factor somewhere along the way.)

Human beings, be they good ones or bad ones, still deserve some measure of dignity, even if only for the sake of those who love them. To die violently robs one, and their loved ones, of that dignity. To become, in death, fodder for internet speculations among a bunch of strangers, is to add insult to injury.

What I see as perverse, is for those strangers to set up a venue, in advance, to facilitate that posthumous stripping of dignity.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh area
9,882 posts, read 9,506,864 times
Reputation: 4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Since so many of you seem to think I started this thread only to bash African-Americans I won't update this thread throughout the year. I'm making no more contributions to this thread. I see no reason why Pittsburgh's sub-forum only has to be "sunshine and puppies". It was the same way on the NoVA sub-forum. Anyone who liked the area but still tried to offer up criticisms was targeted as the fangs came out. I was hoping we could notice trends (not necessarily RACIAL) evolving throughout the year and discuss individual cases where appropriate; however, if people are going to continue to infer I'm a racist for this thread it's best I request its closure.
One extreme or the other, eh? Just like so many others in the country these days. Read the last couple pages again after taking a deep breath and you'll notice that no one (at least not in the last couple pages; my memory is not good enough to go back to the beginning of the thread and I'm not going to read back just for this) accused you personally of anything except maybe poor judgment in creating the thread. A couple of different people including myself suggested that the thread would likely ultimately include racist remarks (and I don't use that lightly; I mean overt remarks which would be deleted without question, not just discussion of so many homicides being black on black or whatever), which is hardly anywhere near the same as inferring that you are a racist. Some people may have inferred that earlier, don't know, but I certainly didn't and neither did another post or two I saw that mentioned race.

If you're going to whine that a couple of people wondering the purpose of this thread means the forum is only interested in "sunshine and puppies" then yeah I'm not going to give you a lot of credit. It's a tired load of BS and you know it. My question about this thread remains "What is the purpose?" Not because it's negative, but because it should have a purpose other than starting on January 1 and counting.

You sort of tried to describe the purpose in there in between your outrage. But it seems to me if you want to talk about trends, you need a trend first. You can either start with last year's existing trends, which are likely to continue, or you can wait until there's a 2011 trend. There sure isn't a 2011 trend on January 1, right? Individual cases can be discussed individually. And so on. What I haven't seen is some compelling reason to start up an omnibus thread in January for discussion that apparently is mostly meant to take place in the future. Why not start up a thread starting from 2010's trends, or go back even further and use earlier years as well? That would actually be more useful at this time, as opposed to looking only at 2011 where we're flying blind. It isn't necessary to start a thread now to ultimately know what the 2011 trend is. The reality is in between incidents discussion will lag, and thread will be started about other incidents anyway, with little regard given to attempts to keep all discussion in one thread.

In short, I am criticizing this particular thread construction at this particular time, not the topic of homicides, not the motivation behind discussing the homicides, locations, etc. Makes perfect sense to me to discuss the rate of homicide in the city or wider area (though not too much to restrict it to Allegheny County), to discuss locations and so forth, but as the individual incidents arise or as trends arise. It doesn't make sense to me to create such a generalized an annual thread on the first day of the year talking only about this year's incidents.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 PM
 
Location: California
2,853 posts, read 2,051,184 times
Reputation: 5138
Hi All, my cousin was abducted and killed in another state and I am not a PA resident but looking for a place to retire. I appreciate knowing where not look for housing in any location under consideration. As a family member of a murder victim, I am here to tell you that there needs to be a bright light focused on crime to honor the memory of my cousin and others. They may have died in darkness but it is time to get your head out of the sand and know what is going on. My cousin did not know her three attackers and she was with a friend but they could not fight them off. You can't change what you don't acknowledge.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 PM
 
3,166 posts, read 4,149,961 times
Reputation: 1226
"Sunshine and puppies"? That's exactly what you said about the NOVA forum posters! Perhaps there are happy people no matter where you go!!! Isn't that cool?!!
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM
 
3,166 posts, read 4,149,961 times
Reputation: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Hi All, my cousin was abducted and killed in another state and I am not a PA resident but looking for a place to retire. I appreciate knowing where not look for housing in any location under consideration. As a family member of a murder victim, I am here to tell you that there needs to be a bright light focused on crime to honor the memory of my cousin and others. They may have died in darkness but it is time to get your head out of the sand and know what is going on. My cousin did not know her three attackers and she was with a friend but they could not fight them off. You can't change what you don't acknowledge.
Oh, oh, oh, that's one of my most favorite expressions because it is SO VERY true! You can't change what you don't acknowledge!

I am so sorry about your cousin. That's heartbreaking and I know it must be very difficult for your family. My prayers go out to all of you.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 PM
 
3,166 posts, read 4,149,961 times
Reputation: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by meinglanzendmotorrad View Post
you know who the racists are? The ones making race a big deal.
amen!!!!!
 
Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 PM
 
Location: California
2,853 posts, read 2,051,184 times
Reputation: 5138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Oh, oh, oh, that's one of my most favorite expressions because it is SO VERY true! You can't change what you don't acknowledge!

I am so sorry about your cousin. That's heartbreaking and I know it must be very difficult for your family. My prayers go out to all of you.
She was a tall, blonde, beautiful senior in college with much to contribute to society and her loss should not be ignored. It was a long time ago and those who abudcuted her are still whinning in the Ohio State Penn continuing to be a burden on the tax payers. At their parole hearing, thousands of petitions were presented to the hearing officer but they weren't necessary as their behavior continued behind bars and, by their own doing, won't be eligible for release. Thank you for your prayers and be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top