U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 AM

9,996 posts, read 11,232,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
Do you as an individual participate in backyard bbqs or meals for neighbors in need?
I'm in Westmoreland County... and yes, we do those things and more.

Last month, we had a neighborhood Christmas party (aimed towards the kids with Santa, elves, cookies and hot cocoa) at someone's home. And we had an adult Christmas social at a local restaurant/bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM

8,128 posts, read 6,847,729 times
Quote:
You are too funny! Is this sarcastic or true? I think kids will get bored of all the video equipment one day and look at a checker board or Fusbol table with awe.
I think things have changed so much since my teen years. It was a race to home to change out of our "school clothes" to get to the ball field then the b-ball court. You could probably make a case that the rise in obesity is a result of sitting in front of a computer/video game.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM

186 posts, read 281,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I think things have changed so much since my teen years. It was a race to home to change out of our "school clothes" to get to the ball field then the b-ball court. You could probably make a case that the rise in obesity is a result of sitting in front of a computer/video game.
Absolutely. People in our current neighborhood actually drive to the bus stop when it's just one block from their homes. Sometimes it's because there's a baby or two to throw in the car and other times it's because of time. If I had done that when we lived in Europe they surely would have judged me as lazy (maybe not the kid excuse). I think we as a society are in a hurry.

I'd love to find a neighborhood where the kids race home from school to play outside sports.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:13 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,317,509 times
Quote:
Uh, because suburbs are known more for community outreach amongst neighbors.
Haha, what, since when?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM

186 posts, read 281,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Haha, what, since when?
Apparently not in Pennsylvania. That's why this forum is great. Individuals can send in what they see/know. So far it looks like choosing to live closer to the city will meet our wants. We have a lot more looking to do. BTW, have you ever known anyone from a subdivision?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:02 PM

8,128 posts, read 6,847,729 times
Quote:
BTW, have you ever known anyone from a subdivision?
I live in one now, grew up in a small suburban town, it's a toss up to which I prefer.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,317,509 times
My aunt lives in Bridgeville, in the Hunting Ridge subdivision.

Cookie-cutter as hell, I'd rather be shot repeatedly than live there.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,746,025 times
Quote:
BTW, have you ever known anyone from a subdivision?
I had a friend who lived in one. He was so embarrassed by his circumstances that he became rich enough to live in an exceptionally beautiful Norman-style house built in the 1920s on Long Island when he grew up. Plus an apartment on Central Park South (inherited).

I lived in a subdivision from age 5 to age 11. I liked it. It was a nice, modern ranch house. My uncle was the developer, and I knew everybody in the neighborhood. We got to play in the empty houses as they were being built, and I liked that. Plus, we could walk out the patio doors and eat dinner outside when the weather was nice.

My mother made us move when I was 11 to an old Colonial in a "better" part of town. Her old Colonial never felt finished to me. My father and I always liked the first house more. It was always a PITA to eat outside in this house, because of all the stairs. I wouldn't say I have any kind of emotional scarring like my friend, but I've always preferred to live on one story as an adult. I hate stairs. Hate 'em.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:07 AM

856 posts, read 1,284,131 times
Somebody should warn you, love4mykids, that the Pittsburgh forum is pretty biased toward city life. I don't see it as a negative thing, but I think you should be aware that suburbs of Pittsburgh all fit into some form of a suburb of some other city. We have your urban suburbs, your car-based suburbs, and your rural suburbs.

It all depends on what is right for YOU and YOUR family. Do children play in the city? Of course. Do people cook-out in the city and talk to their neighbors? Of course. There are some city neighborhoods with suburban-feel, and look...decent-sized yards, and all of that, but there are plenty without these things as well. I assume you probably care about school districts, too. Pittsburgh Public Schools are going to be a lot different than Franklin Regional Schools in Murrysville.

Hopefully when you come to visit you can explore all options...city vs suburban needs, the commute, the homes, the neighborhoods, schools, and the people. Pittsburgh and the surrounding area is a great place to live/work, and raise a family. I don't think you will be disappointed once you find what you're looking for. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 AM

10,746 posts, read 6,680,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
A case can be made? It is the obvious reason. I used to eat a 20 piece McNugget when I went to McDonalds. Never gained an ounce. I played sports all the time and came home and made a milkshake that filled a 64oz blender. Most kids today are texting and playing video games, not playing basketball and football.

I am sure there are towns that kids to play outside. That behavior feeds on itself. The more kids that are outside, the better. It might be dumb luck to find a place kids are playing like that. Like anything, they are products of an environment and just because one area was once swarming with kids, a couple of grades later, it might be quiet outside. I walk in Oakmont often and don't see near the amount of kids playing as in years past. There are a few though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh