U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 AM

22 posts, read 24,942 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My cousin was clocked doing 43 mph in a school zone yesterday.
He claims he was out of the school zone, apparently he wasnt. I beleive the speed limit in a school zone is anywhere from 15mph to 25mph depending where you are at.Also he failed to buckle his seat belt, so he is getting hit with that too. What i would like to know is if there is anyway to plead mercy on the courts to have this dropped?and just pay seat belt fine? the fine he received on citation is for $585.00 he is going to fight it in court. this is his first ticket. what could the outcome be? how many points? since this is his first ticket will the judge go lightly on him? or since its in a school zone will they have no mercy. PLEASE GIVE ALL FEEDBACK YOU HAVE ON THIS TYPE OF ISSUE EITHER IF YOU HAVE BEEN IN IT, OR JUST ARE EDUCATED TO THIS TYPE OF ISSUE.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 AM

8,449 posts, read 7,633,097 times
He might be screwed if he was in a School Zone, most judges don't take kindly to that. When he appeals his case in traffic court make sure he is wearing a coat and tie, plead it was an honest mistake and that the police were only doing their job. He might have the fine cut in half and no points. But, he'll definitely be parting with some money.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:23 AM

1,255 posts, read 818,265 times
I agree with copanut. I was in his shoes after 9/11 when i was speeding to get home at lunch time to watch the news on cnn. I was caught doing 25mph on a 15 school zone in mt lebanon.
I had the ticked reduced by appologizing to the judge, explaining the circumstances etc.

Given the fact this is his first ticket the judge will most likely reduce his fine but showing up in suit and tie like for a job interview and having an appologetic demeanor will help. He also might want to get a lawyer. These guys do help trmendously buy they are not cheap.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 AM

22 posts, read 24,942 times
what about points, how many points could this amount to? thank you both for feed back as welll!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:20 AM

8,449 posts, read 7,633,097 times
Not sure about the points, you could probably google for that information. One other thing, get there early, there is a sign up sheet that is a first come, first served system.

I was wrongly pulled over on a speed check in Hazelwood. It's well known to be a 25 MPH area that is strictly enforced. I was doing 22 MPH, in second gear when a cop waved me over. He claimed I did 41 mile per hour. Why 41, the ticket increases at that speed. As he was writing the ticket a car just like mine passed us. I pled to the judge, she came back with 1/2 the fine and no points. I took it.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,938,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh125 View Post
PLEASE GIVE ALL FEEDBACK YOU HAVE ON THIS TYPE OF ISSUE
My feedback is good for the police! My expertise is laws are meant to be followed.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 AM

12,110 posts, read 13,959,418 times
I'm with Scott on this one.
School zones here are 15 mph... the OP's cousin was going almost THREE times the limit.

I don't see why the OP thinks it should be dropped. Going 20 mph, maybe... but not at 43 mph!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 AM

355 posts, read 452,661 times
That speed would be considered careless driving in Oklahoma. School zones are big no no's. It's a mistake yes....and one I'd be willing to bet he will pay for in full. The one thing going for him is no prior traffic. Most traffic judges don't let you give your side on your appearnce date. You plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest. Then when you plead not guilty you get another court date and the officer has to show up and you have a mini case. Your best bet would be to plead no contest and see if the judge will allow him to speak for just a second to explain himself. The no contest here usually gets at least a small financial help from the judge.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,938,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
School zones are big no no's.
As they are in Pennsylvania. Some people, as demonstrated, still don't care.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 PM

1,255 posts, read 818,265 times
When I was caught doing 25 in a school zone I got points too. I forgot how many because it was a long time ago. Anyway, at that time I was just at the limit of having my drivers license suspended or something.

This is not something to be taken lightly. I don't know your cousin's situation but if he has previous points and is in danger of losing his license than I strongly advice him to get a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh