Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Steeler Fan View Post
What areas would you suggest then? Although access to the T would be nice, Im open to a longer commute (up to 45min?) if it is worth it for a better area and nicer home with what we are looking for.
When do you want to move in? I have a friend who has a rental house in Brookline, which is next to Dormont. I don't know what he asks for rent, but he is not happy with his current tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 AM

24 posts, read 31,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
When do you want to move in? I have a friend who has a rental house in Brookline, which is next to Dormont. I don't know what he asks for rent, but he is not happy with his current tenants.
Currently I am commuting from Somerset to Station Square until around Jan 15. At that point I have family that are allowing me to stay in apartment during the week in Delmont until I find a home for my family.

So, the sooner the better on finding a place, but can wait for the right deal/house!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCsMom View Post
My husband works at Station Square and we live in Bethel Park. He takes the T to work.

For what you are looking for and the price you want to pay, my first thought was Dormont. You might find something in Castle Shannon, South Park or Pleasant Hills. Further out in the southlands I would say maybe Crafton or Bridgeville. If you are willing to live in the city I would say Carrick.

For $700, you are looking at an older house and probably not super updated. Fenced is a hit and miss in Pittsburgh and chances are you will have to provide your own swingset. I am thinking you might need to increase you budget just a bit.
Thanks for the input. We already own swingset that we brought from Texas, hence the need for atleast a small level area.

The fence is not a deal breaker. I can put a cheap fence up to keep my boys in if needed.

Do you know what it cost to ride the T for you husband to work everyday?

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
If I worked at Station Square I would definitely find a place along the T to live. Just walk the line and you will find either apts for rent or homes for sale. Beechview has a ton of places available and while in the City, has good deals. When I owned a rental property in Dormont I never advertised in the paper. I just put a sign in the window and never had a vacant unit.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Currently I am commuting from Somerset to Station Square until around Jan 15. At that point I have family that are allowing me to stay in apartment during the week in Delmont until I find a home for my family.

So, the sooner the better on finding a place, but can wait for the right deal/house!
Okay. I left a message with my friend.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
If I worked at Station Square I would definitely find a place along the T to live. Just walk the line and you will find either apts for rent or homes for sale. Beechview has a ton of places available and while in the City, has good deals. When I owned a rental property in Dormont I never advertised in the paper. I just put a sign in the window and never had a vacant unit.
Big help! - I will have to hit these areas up after work and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Since it looks like we will be leaning more towards older home - is it still possible to find one with central air?

I'm a Texas boy and I about died last summer without AC. I don't see how y'all do it!

Strangely, I like the cold up here much better than the hot humid summers - compared to Texas! LOL!

Thanks you everyone for all your help!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Okay. I left a message with my friend.
Thanks - I appreciate it! Do you have an idea what rent and amnesties are?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 AM

86 posts, read 259,947 times
My husband can catch the T right by our house, but it costs more because it is zone 2. So he rides his bike or walks to Washington Junction, less than a mile away and pays $2.00 each way. The gas and parking would be way more for him than that, so it is worth it. From Washington Jungtion to Downtown is zone 1 pricing.

We don't have a level lot, but we have a huge swing set...I grew up in California in a very flat valley, so I am constantly amazed at how people manage to arrange things on their hilly lots here in Pittsburgh.

We didn't have air in the first house we lived in, but we did have an attic fan and that helped a lot. Ceiling fans are also your friend. This past summer seemed worse to me than usual though. Some older homes do have air...it is hit and miss.

You might consider a townhome. One on the first floor would have a small yard and most likely have air.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks - I appreciate it! Do you have an idea what rent and amnesties are?
I don't know how much the rent is. And "amnesties"? What is that?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I don't know how much the rent is. And "amnesties"? What is that?
How many bedroom, bathrooms, basement, central air, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh